The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Everything Else Jewel
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-03-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

ItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 pointsItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 points
Default Words get in the way

The lyrics "Just take my hand, to have and hold, if not obey" have had me thinking for a few weeks and I was thinking how clever Jewel is, because was it not too long ago that the traditional marriage vows got changed for some reason from "to honor and obey" to "to have and to hold"??

I was just thinking how clever Jewel is b/c she doesn't miss anything. And I was also wondering if anyone knows any more info on why the vows were changed? I tried searching wikipedia and found nothing. Does anybody know more about this?

so close no matter how far
couldn't be much more from the heart
forever trusting who we are
and nothing else matters

Last edited by ItBeThatWay27; 09-03-2006 at 02:22 PM. Reason: ??
ItBeThatWay27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:18 PM   #2
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Obey hasn't been part of wedding vows here for a long time. You can say it if you want to.

I didn't say it.

I think they are interesting lyrics. Makes me think Jewel really wants to get married. I think something is holding Ty back. At heart, Jewel is very traditional about marriage and has said before that Ty would have to ask her. She wouldn't ask him. I am not so traditional as I was the one that asked my husband to marry me.
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:02 AM   #3
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

I think so too, I think she's waiting on him (Ty). WHAT THE HECK IS HIS PROBLEM?

Jeez Kiera ha ha I didn't know that! haha
how did you ask him?

and nothing else matters

Old 09-04-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

I got fed up waiting. Had passed him a tonne of hints that were more than just hints. He didn't bite so I went to bed thinking about it. I couldn't sleep so I decided to wake him up and ask him. That way, I knew that he'd offer a truthful response coz he'd be too tired to think about it. He said yes. Next morning we discussed it and he asked if I was serious, when I said I was, he was delighted. 4 1/2 years later, we were married.

So Jewel is very patient if she has waited this long and still hasn't been asked.

Years ago she was asked in an interview when she and Ty were going to get married. Her response was 'When he gets around to asking me!!!' or something along those lines.
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:58 AM   #5
Sitdogboy!
Super JKF Member

Sitdogboy! Between 50 and 149 points

Maybe "Ty" is too "Ty-ered" to start a family.

Well, they got a Jewel. They got a Ty. Name there child Belt and they got some pretty hot acssesories.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #6
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

When I look back at how I asked my wife, it wasn't very romantic and neither of us cared at the time, but now I wish I had done something better, but maybe in this century you get what you get....
We had already discussed it and we even looked online at some rings that she liked, so she knew it was coming.
I got the ring she picked out and we went out to this italian restaurant and well really she was in this terrible mood all night and I was like ehhhhh and we went back to my friends house where I was living at the time and it felt weird and I was nervous and timing seemed really bad so there it sat in my pocket..... then when I took her home that night, in front of her parents house, in the car, I pulled it out of my pocket and just handed it to her....
and she was excited and said you need to ask me something. So I asked her and of coarse she said yes, but it wasn't too terribly romantic. I wish now I had went all old fashioned and got down on my knee in a beautiful setting or something... but hey at least it wasn't at Mcdonald's or something ghetto like that....

and nothing else matters

Old 09-04-2006, 02:51 PM   #7
lindawmn
JKF Member

lindawmn Between 10 and 49 points

I've personally never cared about all the trimmings that go with the process of getting married, from the engagement to the wedding. I guess I'm not a woman who puts a lot of stock in romantic details. I've been married almost 12 years and am still not terribly needy in that regard. I think it comes down to personality - some women are more traditional in this regard then others. My oldest son and I were watching Bridezilla last night and he said "Mom, are these women kidding???" I just cracked up. I wonder how much of that show is staged or are there really, truly women in the world that consumed with themselves?

L.
lindawmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #8
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

YES THERE ARE. I see them all the time.... I know 1 or 2 also.. (luckily my wife is not in that category ha ha)

and nothing else matters

Old 04-24-2007, 01:12 PM   #9
R*Philippines
I jewel everyday.

R*Philippines Between 50 and 149 pointsR*Philippines Between 50 and 149 points

Visit the jewelkilcherforum youtube group for the video of this song.

Stay COOL !!!
RY

Last edited by R*Philippines; 05-05-2007 at 07:01 AM.
R*Philippines is offline   Reply With Quote