The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-25-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
LonelyLullaby
Members

LonelyLullaby Between 10 and 49 points

Alright. So we can turn this into the recomendation thread or just the what am I reading right now thread. I've just finished Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and I think it's one of the most beautiful books I've read. It starts out a bit slowly but overall it's a beautiufl story... and the language itself is very taking
"He wanted all to lie in an ecstasy of peace; I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. I said his heaven would be only half alive; and he said mine would be drunk: I said I should fall asleep in his; and he said he could not breathe in mine.."
"Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living; you said I killed you - haunt me, then. The murdered do haunt their murderers. Be with me always - take any form - drive me mad. Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you"
So what are you reading right now? Or what books have you read that you liked?
LonelyLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
folderol and
Members

folderol and Between 10 and 49 points

I am currently reading The Dark Tower IV: Wizard And Glass (part of a seven-book series) by Stephen King. If you feel like reading all seven, I'd definitely recommend it.

\ david
folderol and is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:53 PM   #3
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

Okay, my favorite book I've ever read was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.... I know I'm such a dork. :P But I'm a nerd, I've enjoyed all the Harry Potter books. I've read the Lord of the Rings and let me just say the movie is way better. If you're into classics I recommend all the short stories by Edgar Allan Poe, my favorites are 'the Masque of the Red Death', and 'The Tell-Taled Heart." I also like the Nick Adams Stories by Hemingway (on principle Hemingway sucks and I would have killed him if he hadn't taken it upon himself) but these stories are actually good. If you want to stick to current stuff I suggest the Harry Potter series because it keeps you interested and it's fun, Also the Hannibal series by Tom Harris, ("Red Dragon," "Silence of the Lambs," and "Hannibal") The book Hannibal was way better than the movie, give it a whirl and you'll see it's much gorier than the movie.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
batsocks
Members

Location: in a shoebox under the stairs with all my grandmas jet buttons
batsocks Between 10 and 49 points

currently reading 'dark is the moon' by ian irvine. its part of a set, i got hooked and can`t stop...so many books to read so little time...

don't you just love the smell of new books?...
Old 03-26-2005, 07:11 PM   #5
michaelsjewel
Member's

michaelsjewel Between 10 and 49 points

THE GREAT GILLY HOPKINS - yes i know this is a younger book, but i love the story and always will - means something to me about family or something :rolleyes:

THE TALE OF TWO CITIES - another book from school, though this one is very complex and turns out to be a great story - though a little disappointing @ what happens - that damn guillitine! ( i know i spelled that wrong - i don't care :devil1: )
michaelsjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:47 PM   #6
MrCC
JKF Member

MrCC Between 10 and 49 points

I read computer books for enjoyment. Lately I've read books on Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Visual Basic.net, C for dummies, and Google Hacks.

I went through cycles of reading in my life. I read all of the Lord of The Rings books when I was a teenager. I got into reading older books in college. I liked Thomas Hardy's novels for their irony. I liked Herman Melville. And I remember liking Henry James' "Daisy Miller." I read some Steinbeck. I really enjoyed Shakespeares comedies, although to me they are much funnier on the stage. I also went through a period of reading sci-fi including Dune and really old science fiction like "Farenheit 451", "The Illustrated Man", and and really really old sci-fi by Jules Verne. I read almost all of Jules Verne's novels including "From the Earth to the Moon", "20000 leagues Under the Sea", "Around the World in 80 Days", and "Journey to the Center of the Earth." Jules Verne really created science fiction and wrote about things more than 100 years before they happened.

Lately, I've gotten into reading the classics again. Mostly Scriptures and Dr. Seuss. ;)
Old 03-29-2005, 08:06 AM   #7
bluediamond
Administrator

bluediamond Between 150 and 249 pointsbluediamond Between 150 and 249 points

ooooooh i know i should read, but ive actually only read 2 books in my whole life. The first book was 'the red pony' by john steinbeck and the only other book ive read from cover to cover was 'cider with rosie' by John Leonard.

my mother always used to send me to bed with a book to read, but i just usually used them to prop up my bedsheets and play with my teddies :-)

:wacko:

:lalala:
Dave

ps, Gemma, if you would suggest my next read what would it be ?
bluediamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:02 PM   #8
MrCC
JKF Member

Some people read books. Some just look at the pictures. :P
Old 03-29-2005, 09:52 PM   #9
Angel_Eyes
Members

Angel_Eyes Between 10 and 49 points

When I was younger, I used to be into the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. I never did like the show Little House on the Prairie, but for some reason I really liked the books. I only got to read a couple of them though, like "Little House in the Big Woods", "On the Banks of Plum Creek", and "These Happy Golden Years". I think my favorite is "These Happy Golden Years". :)

I also read "James and the Giant Peach" (before the movie was released) and was disappointed when I saw the movie for the first time. In particular, the shark scene. In the book, there are a lot of real sharks taking bites of the peach, not one mechanical shark with a spear-like object as a weapon! I also never liked the idea that the Rhino was a storm cloud. But, eh, what do you expect when books get turned into movies. A claymation movie at that.

I think my favorite book is still "On A Pale Horse" by Piers Anthony. It's the first book in a series and it's about a guy who's about to shoot himself. As he's about to pull the trigger, Death suddenly comes through the door, the guy gets startled and ends up shooting Death instead of himself. So, guess what happens? The guy ends up becoming Death and having to collect the souls, or lack there of, of the people who die. He meets Nature, Time, War and a couple of other incarnations, and eventually he's in the middle of Satan's plot to kill the woman he loves. It's a really interesting book, and it's the first one where I was literally on the edge of my seat wanting to know what would happen in the end. I actually remember reading the last few pages. I was sitting in the library during Study Hall at school and the bell rang. I really did not want to leave, but since I had to I just hurried up, went to my locker, went to my next class and started reading the rest while everyone was settling down. I don't know what it is about the book, but I absolutely love it. I wish I could find it in a store somewhere, though. :(

By the way, I read Wuthering Heights when I was about to become a Senior, and I really liked it. I did get confused trying to figure out who all the different people were, but overall, it was an enjoyable read. :) I should read it again soon.

&quot;I am a princess and I'm locked inside a stone tower of song.
Trying to write messages on the wind trying to send the message how I just want to belong.
&quot;
Jewel - Choose Me/Where You Are
Angel_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:25 AM   #10
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

I love books. Always have but I tend to settle on the thriller and murder mystery types. I have a huge interest in forensics so I love reading Irish Johanson and Patricia Cornwell.

The last book I read was 'Disordered Minds' by Minette Walters. I just finished it and I am not impressed. I felt I had to finish it to see if it would get any better towards the end but I was sadly disappointed. Needless to say, I was taking a leap as I had never heard of her before been given this book. I won't be taking a leap anytime soon without more information.

Tracy - I loved James and the Giant Peach (the book...of course). Actually, it was Roald Dahl that inspired my love of reading and I had all of his books. They were fantastic. My favourite was Witches. I feel like reading them all again!

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:26 PM   #11
LonelyLullaby
Members

LonelyLullaby Between 10 and 49 points

Thanks guys for posting all of the recommendations
Batscocks yes I absolutely love the smell of new books. I actually try to avoid the library when I want something to read because I'd much rather have a new book to go through :) And it's what I always think. So many books- so little time
Dave I would definitely suggest Wuthering Heights. Unless you've read the book. I'm not so much into classics I really love everything. Whatever sounds interesting at the time that's what I'll pick up. I don't have preference in books, just in writers :) But I've got many many more to read before I can figure out who I love the most. Wuthering Heights is a bit slow at the beginning but it picks up and in the essence it's a very beautiful love story, I think you'll really enjoy it. Actually one of the reasons I started this thread is to say pick up this book!
I really loved it. And thanks for all of the recommendations
I'm finishing up one list and I'm preparing another of what to order on Amazon
Tracy that book sounds great thank you so much for the detailed description
It'll be one of the first ones that I'll pick up. You know what it reminds me of? An Interview with the Vampire, have you seen the movie?
It's when a guy is very desperate after I think losing the woman he loves and wants to kill himself- when he gets a visit from a vampire that turns him into one, and he lives his life in a "curse", having a very different perspective on humans and happiness, and there's a love story in the essence of all of this as well. Thanks for the recommendation- I'll definitely pick up this book
And Mike, I'm glad that you're back :) I was wondering where you went
LonelyLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:10 PM   #12
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

I am currently reading Black House, a sequel to The Talisman, by Stephen King and Peter Straub. Judging by sheer volume of books that I own of his, Stephen King is my favorite author, The Darktower series being my favorite books by him. I need to get the last 3 books in the series as I have only read through The Wizard and Glass..."Why did the chicken cross the road? Because it was stapled to the dead baby!" erm, guess you need to have read the book to understand ;-)

Also, John Krakauer is (in my opinion) an excellent author. I've read Into Thin Air, and Into the Wild and recommend them highly!

Andrea

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:31 PM   #13
MrCC
JKF Member

I used to live a half hour from Stephen King's house. It's a big old Victorian house. The most interesting thing is the iron gate and fence in front. It's got bats and spider webs in it. Stephen King House

My dad used to eat breakfast at the same neighborhood diner where Stephen King went. You can tell a man is wealthy if he can afford to buy the large orange juice without looking at the price. :P
Old 03-30-2005, 07:36 PM   #14
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Among other favorites there are:

-The Lord of the Rings (of course) I really like the books and the movies
-The Elric Saga, by Micheal Moorcock, I loved that series!
-The Black Stallion series was a fav. growng up
-Black Beaty " "
went through a period of reading Camus, it was alright
-Somerset Maughm was pretty good I seem to remember from senior english
-Morgan Lewellyn, Pride of Lions was good
-Poe, of course
-Arthur Rimbaud, which is actually poetry, but oh well
-Harry Potter, of course
-Mary Stewarts Arthur Trilogy
-Thomas Harris, must admit I enjoyed the gore
-George Orwell
-C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters, and Mere Christianity-haven't read the Narnia ones
-The Left Behind Series (which seems like a strange addition to a list including The Silence of the Lambs)
-The Crow--The book/books were MUCH better than the movie!!
-Anne Rice, The Witching Hour series, and The Vampire Lestat series

oh, heck I will just say I love to read just about any type book, as long as it grabs my attention...it's easier than listing all the books I own, which I could very well end up doing :P ^_^

I am a bookworm!
Andrea :read: :wub: :clapjoy:

Andrea

Old 03-30-2005, 07:39 PM   #15
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Lol@ Mike, ya, my friend Kathy and I drove up to see his house a few years ago. The gate is really cool, it was funny driving all the way up there just to take pics of his house. I guess that's as close to obsessing over a famous person as I get. ^_^ I liked the dragons on the posts!

Andrea

Andrea