The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Everything Else Jewel
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-20-2005, 09:56 AM   #46
Intrepid Prez
Members

Intrepid Prez Between 10 and 49 points

Quote:
what if Jewel got William Orbit onto her music, would she have made it too?
I actually doubt it.? (Kiera)
Lester Mendez was the major force in the 'reinvention' of Shakira...
he produced and co-wrote 'Laundry Service'.
The Shakira sellout was probably the biggest sellout in the history of popular music.

BUT IT WORKED !!!

Laundry Service will go down in history as one of the most successful albums:

Gold in Brazil, Czech Republic, Hong Kong, Hungary, Japan,
Malaysia, Peru, Philipines, South Africa, and Uruguay.

1 x Platinum in Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Chile, Denmark,
France, Greece, Indonesia, Mexico, Singapore, Sweden,
Taiwan, and UK.

2 x Platinum in Central America, Ecuador, Finland, Germany,
Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Turkey, and Thailand.

3 x Platinum in US, New Zealand, and Portugal.

4 x Platinum in Colombia, Egypt, and Switzerland.

5 x Platinum in Australia, Canada, Spain, and Venezuela.

6 x Platinum in India

Immediately afterwards...
Lester Mendez produced and co-wrote 0304 with Jewel.
Need I say more... except... Kiera's example given credence.

But there's only one thing that's bothering me...
if Kiera agrees with me, then...

my arguement MUST be flawed somewhere. :wacko:

Easy... ;)
Intrepid Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:13 PM   #47
LonelyLullaby
Members

LonelyLullaby Between 10 and 49 points

I agree with all of this as well, all of Justin's points
I think Tracy you're hoping for a "rock" jazz and etc albums because it's what Jewel promised and excused 0304 with, I just don't think it's going to happen
And if it does- chances are, most fans won't accept this- and exactly for the same reasons that Justin named- but let's hope for the best
I don't think that Jewel has that many chances left either :) with her fans
Unless you're Tracy :P
LonelyLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:38 PM   #48
MrCC
JKF Member

MrCC Between 10 and 49 points

More evidence that the world is ending? Everybody is agreeing with Justin! :o

Quote:
Originally posted by Former Intrepid Prez
After 0304 people won't bother to riddicule Jewel anymore... it'll be worse...
they'll ignor her as a spent force.

Unless she goes back to what she's good at... her next album will be her last.
Her last with Atlantic. I'm not convinced it will be her last. There's a record label out there to sign her up again. I hope she can have another hit this time around so she can choose the right label. If not she's going to need to get a small independent label.

And Let me be the first to say I disagree with Justin. I would have agreed, but I don't want his head to get big. I've seen what happens and I don't want to see it happen again. ;) I say she has no need to go back to what she is good at, because she's been doing that all along. Her shows are the same great music she has always done. Solo acoustic is the only way to experience Jewel and always has been. Even "crappy songs" (to quote Kiera) sound great when she performs them live. Now if you people could just convince her to do a solo acoustic tour World tour then you'll really get a chance to enjoy her again.

Speaking of people whose careers have been in decline:
:bunny:
This guy is just not as popular as he used to be. No bunny threads lately and Dave took him off the banner. Maybe the bunny needs to reinvent himself as a pop dance diva. :bananarock:
Old 06-20-2005, 07:06 PM   #49
Craig
Members

Craig Between 10 and 49 points

My two cents worth....
Quote:
Unless she goes back to what she's good at... her next album will be her last.
I agree with Justin as far as her cd's have sold less and less with each passing one.
But that does not mean they are not good. I definitley do not want to have the 0304 debate again...but I think her voice sounds FANTASTIC on it. The song "Run To You" as a techno driven song is as good as Madonna's "Ray of Light". Her voice lends itself to that song very well. The angst and emotion in it is great.
The issue at hand is that people, society, fans do not want to hear Jewel in this music vein. They know her as the "folk singer" and want her to do that only. Just like Madonna, who picked up an acoustic guitar for some tracks on "American Life" ... people didn't buy it. I am sure it is one, if not her worst selling cd. She is currently making a club/dance cd for her next release because that is what her fans want from her.
I hope Jewel does do a jazz cd one day. If her pop career dies, a smaller label like Blue Note (Norah Jones) would be smart to pick her up. I would like a cd of Nina Simone covers and Blue Note would be just the label for that. Plus the producer of Norah Jones multi platinum hit "Come Away With Me" is Arif Mardin who produced Jewel's "Joy-a Holdiay Collection" and speaks of her prolific ,versatile, vocal stylings in her book "Revealed". So if a multi platinum producer like him agreed to work with Jewel again- I think Blue Note would snatch that duo up in a second. I hope as she gets older it happens!
Craig :)
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:23 PM   #50
michaelsjewel
Member's

michaelsjewel Between 10 and 49 points

i think madonna went wrong with american life period!!!! - the first single wasn't so good and she needs to quit naming her albusm after tracks! - music had great singles - but the rest of the music was....quite frankly - scary!
american life does have some good songs on it though moreso than music did - i love HOLLYWOOD - nothing fails - save my baby if that's what it is.....lol - love profusion is good.........I's So STUPID one was good - see u can tell i don't look much into the song titles lol....

RAY OF LIGHT cd was excellent - i think the whole problem with american life compared to music was that they seemed pretty much the same - there was no progress - it seemed to me that madonna had made progress with each and every album - suprisingly - american life sold over 1 million copies in the US - usually the past decade she does about 2x platinum ...but ray of light did 4 - it's sad b/c ray of light should've done 10x platinum for the music it released and had on it!

as for jewel - the problem with her is that she took too long of a break - and people have moved on from her original style - many will say her new stuff is better - but will refuse to buy it because it's jewel...b/c they know the old jewel - they don't want to take that chance - of course the singles were winners - but the rest of the songs on POY were plain BLAH - and disappointed many especially how the only real single on it was WHO WILL SAVE YOUR SOUL b/c the rest were major remixes - which also made people hate her! - just read the reviews on any site that people purchase it from!!!!

i'm hoping that atlantic is not jewel's record label after this b/c they do a poor job of promotion...all they care about promoting is the first single - which is exactly why jewel's last albusm don't get very far.....

intuition was one of the most popular downloaded songs - it was popular - just people weren't going to buy the rest thinking the rest was old school jewel!

like on the PIECES OF UK site, it quotes how if jewel would've emerged as a new artist with 0304, she would've been considered to be something spectacular! - just goes to show what happens with you based on past experience!

and to those that thought she sold out - well - to me - going back to the POY days to somehow get more record sales b/c they think that they'll sell more b/c that's what they think the people want - then that's selling out! - let the lady do what she wants to do - it is her life!
michaelsjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:37 PM   #51
Intrepid Prez
Members

Quote:
But that does not mean they are not good. (CRAIG)
'This Way' was "good"... and... above all... safe.

Trouble is, Craig... no-body ever walked into a music store and asked:
"May I please have some good safe music?".

'This Way' was purchased only by Kilcherians... and... only small
percentage of them.
No 'new music' buyers were looking for 'good, safe music'... they want
(and demand) the BEST.

I always had (and still do) consider 'This Way' as Jewel 'pumping mediocrity
to a loyal fan base'. It was the begining of her downfall.

Quote:
I hope Jewel does do a jazz cd one day. (Craig)
I've heard Jewel trying out her Janis Joplin impersonation...
I've seen Jewel dancing with Beyonce...
sadly, I've seen Jewel look more like Britney than Britney...

And now you suggest that Jewel be compared to Norah (8 grammies) Jones ???...

Suicide !!!

I am sick and tired watching Jewel die the 'Death of a Thousand Cuts'.

Easy Craig... ;)
Old 06-21-2005, 12:23 AM   #52
Craig
Members

Craig Between 10 and 49 points

Regarding "This Way" Justin...I can't look at it as safe. It is actually my favorite Jewel CD. I don't walk into a record store and demand the best. I want something that I will enjoy, depending on my frame of mind. Jewel's voice has a mollifying effect on me. Her voice on "Standing Still" evokes images and feeling. "Break Me" is a beautiful ballad. From there you switch to "Serve the Ego" with it's more Carnatic, Hindu style...and then we get some country tracks...from "Everybody Needs Somebody" to "Cleveland"...not to mention "Grey Matter"...I laughed out loud when I first heard that song...it was live in concert. I have never heard a ballad that starts off with "I hate you"...so I don't know if I would call that safe...It is the cd I enjoy the most from beginning to end.
Yes I would compare her to Norah Jones. Just because Norah Jones has many Grammies, does that really mean she is better? I have seen Jewel sing Cole Porter covers,tracks from Porgy and Bess as well as Nina Simone covers ...all jazz classics. She performs them beautifully. Just as effortlessly and hauntingly she'll perform an Italian aria, acapella, followed by a yodeling song?! Those all belong on cd. I have also seen her break out an electric guitar and rock out for a few songs.
She delivers a spectrum...But her voice is the common denominator. Not sure Norah Jones delivers a spectrum that even comes close. That is not to say Norah Jones is not talented but Jewel's voice is very unique in all it's incarnations in my eyes. I would describe Norah Jones cd "Come Away With Me" as safe. Like if I needed to fall asleep or something... -_-
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:10 AM   #53
Angel_Eyes
Members

Angel_Eyes Between 10 and 49 points

Quote:
Originally posted by LonelyLullaby@Jun 20 2005, 09:13 AM
I think Tracy you're hoping for a "rock" jazz and etc albums because it's what Jewel promised and excused 0304 with, I just don't think it's going to happen
I don't think this way because I'm hoping for it or because it's what Jewel has promised as an "excuse" for 0304, but because I know that she can and has done songs such as those. For one example, Country music is my least favorite genre, but I won't be surprised or even disappointed if she does do a country album. Why? Because I know she can do it. Have you ever heard Angel/Cowboy Waltz? Summer Home In Your Arms? Her 2 duets with Merle Haggard? Hell, even Till We Run Out of Road. Those songs are more country than folk and the first two could easilly be on a country album in the future.

I think the reason why you don't see it happening is because you still think she's this little folk singer. Whether it's a good idea to do such albums in the long run is unknown, but I think Jewel will at least try, no matter how good or bad sales are. In a sense though, isn't it selling out when she stays folk just to please fans and keep sales up? If SHE doesn't want it then why the hell should she try to stay in the music business? Yes, fans are an important part of the industry, but if you were in her shoes would you put yourself first or your fickle fans? Just a thought.

"I am a princess and I'm locked inside a stone tower of song.
Trying to write messages on the wind trying to send the message how I just want to belong.
"
Jewel - Choose Me/Where You Are
Angel_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:32 AM   #54
Intrepid Prez
Members

Quote:
I would describe Norah Jones cd "Come Away With Me" as safe.
Like if I needed to fall asleep or something. (Craig)
Umm... interesting comment Craig...

So... now lets see if Jewel can send millions to sleep...
and... score 8 grammies in the proccess.

Quote:
I think the reason why you don't see it happening is because you
still think she's this little folk singer. (Our Fair Princess)
Nope... its just what she does best.

Sure... Jewel can ignor her fanbase... and they'll ignor her, as has already
happended. She's already been deserted by tens of thousands !!!

It's just that some artist feel a sense of loyalty to the fans who have
supported them and indeed... made them millioneers.

If Jewel persists with this quirky notion that she can sing any genre of music,
then she's gonna wind up with a limited 'cult following' on an independent label.

Easy...
Old 06-21-2005, 01:40 AM   #55
Angel_Eyes
Members

Angel_Eyes Between 10 and 49 points

All I have to say is "we'll see".

"I am a princess and I'm locked inside a stone tower of song.
Trying to write messages on the wind trying to send the message how I just want to belong.
"
Jewel - Choose Me/Where You Are
Angel_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:53 AM   #56
Intrepid Prez
Members

Quote:
"we'll see" (Angel Eyes)
We've already been "seeing" for years...
and... been 'wondering' for years too...

Why doesn't she give a sh!t about her fanbase ???
And, when's she finally gonna stop:

Serving the Ego.

Easy...
Old 06-21-2005, 03:49 AM   #57
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

let's just hope it's worth waiting for. :unsure:
Old 06-21-2005, 06:33 AM   #58
MrCC
JKF Member

MrCC Between 10 and 49 points

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid Prez@Jun 20 2005, 06:53 PM

We've already been "seeing" for years...
and... been 'wondering' for years too...

Why doesn't she give a sh!t about her fanbase ???
And, when's she finally gonna stop:

Serving the Ego.

Easy...
A fan without a base is called a hellicopter. :P
Old 06-21-2005, 07:20 AM   #59
Intrepid Prez
Members

And yeah, Craig & Mike...

When 'SPIRIT Mk II' is release, I'm gonna start an 'I Told You So' thread...
yeah, and I expect both of you to have your apologies ready...

along with all the Kilcherian Apologists who've ever sent hate-mail to the ASPCJ. :rolleyes:

Easy as can be... Justin ;)
Old 06-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #60
LonelyLullaby
Members

LonelyLullaby Between 10 and 49 points

Quote:
intuition was one of the most popular downloaded songs - it was popular - just people weren't going to buy the rest thinking the rest was old school jewel!

like on the PIECES OF UK site, it quotes how if jewel would've emerged as a new artist with 0304, she would've been considered to be something spectacular! - just goes to show what happens with you based on past experience!

and to those that thought she sold out - well - to me - going back to the POY days to somehow get more record sales b/c they think that they'll sell more b/c that's what they think the people want - then that's selling out! - let the lady do what she wants to do - it is her life!
Oh please. Who thought the album was going to be old school Jewel?
It came with a new image, new sound, and intuition razor commercials :)
Quite frankly, "Stand" sucked and I think that's why most people who liked the first single didn't think much about the whole album.. not only was it the new image but it also sucked ;)
And the whole point Mike is that she "sold out" in the first place- that's exactly why many think/know depending on how you look at it ;) that this album came out and don't accept it
I don't think her fans are stupid- some artists have been able to change
I think if it was something that she really wanted to explore musically her fans would overall let her do this- I just don't buy it

Quote:
Just because Norah Jones has many Grammies, does that really mean she is better?
Uh... yeah? Well I don't even like Norah Jones, but a Grammy does stand for something ;)
And Tracy there's a big difference between doing a few songs for your album and making a whole jazz album- a big difference
Maybe she just can't change musically well- maybe she does this gracelessly
I don't know what the problem is- and sure she can do whatever she wants- many artist do and if their music is not great they don't get the record deal
If no one wants to listen to it maybe she shouldn't be dong this for the masses
LonelyLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote