The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Everything Else Jewel
Connect with Facebook

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #1
Banned

007 Between 50 and 149 points
Default Jewel Ridicule

For those of you who have kept up with the poll discussion, I am a young straight male living in the Southern United States. Since Jewel's appearance on American Idol, I have pruchased a few available albums and her book "A Nighht Without Armor". I have also rented the film "Ride With The Devil". My family sees this recent interest, and for some reason, they all think I'm either a homosexual, or 'turning soft'. I'm straiaght, not that that matters, but I like pretty much any woman that has a form of personality. If you have personality, I can enjoy your company. However I feel rather odd with it.

Last edited by 007; 02-12-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

I don't really care what others think. If they snigger and laugh at me for what I listen to, then that says a lot about their character and it's not a positive one.

For me, people think I'm a bit obsessed by Jewel but I'm not really but I do adore her music and art and humanity. I love her spirit and message and her music and poetry means the world to me. I am merely a fan and as a fan in Ireland, it's next to impossible to get any info on her. THerefore, I'm filling a gap by sharing this forum with fans. I am more obsessed with the forum than anything I suppose but I want it to serve it's purpose and it takes a lot of work to keep it going. It is because I want to get all the latest info on jewel, and share it with you all, that people think I'm obsessed with Jewel. But even if I didn't like Jewel, I'd be the same for the sake of the forum.

Don't be so worried about what others think. It's what you feel that counts. People shouldn't judge you based on the music you listen to.

You are not a 'lonely angel' anymore...there are plenty of Everyday Angels here who share with you.

Enjoy.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 01-29-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
fabiojj
Super JKF Member

fabiojj Between 10 and 49 points

You know, it's gotta be hard to have your family think something of you that you are not. I don't really think you should "hide" your musical taste from them, because seriously, who cares? Everyone has different tastes and we should all just accept that fact without jumping into conclusions. Maybe you could show some really good lyrics from Jewel to them, like The New Wild West or Long Slow Slide so that they could see she is a very good songwriter, or you just forget it and they will probably just stop one day.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
motoslam
mo

motoslam Between 50 and 149 points

Yo im also a straight guy that listens to jewel. i cant say that i have the same problem as you but if my sis or friends ever found out than theyd definitely think im going soft or homosexual cuz im really into rap. Its not like jewel sings about guys and stuff in her songs so you should probably just play some of her songs really loud so your family could hear that shes a really good artist.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
Banned

I thank you all for your comforting words in an odd situation. I jsut need to get over it.

Last edited by 007; 02-12-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:58 PM   #6
Crawfy-Glasgow
JKF Member

Crawfy-Glasgow Between 50 and 149 points
Smile

Hiya,

You certainly should'nt worry what people think of your taste in music,or anything else for that matter,it takes all sorts of different people to make this weird world tick,and whether you like Jewel,50Cent,U2,The Beatles,Beyonce,Eminem,Oasis,Madonna or any of the other thousands of musicians out there,it's your personal choice.
I'm a straight married 42 year old guy,who's musical tastes vary quite a bit,but for years i have always connected with Jewels music,her descriptive captivating lyrics,clever melodies,and the stories she sings to us,somehow just do it for me,and i also think she looks amazing too,so if anybody thinks you are turning gay for being into such a gorgeous babe like Jewel,well they need their heads examined.
I also like The Rolling Stones,The Beatles,Oasis,Tupac Shakur,and lots of other artists,but i listen to Jewel most,and it's only THIS wonderful forum that i'm a member of,so as far as my musical taste goes,Jewel certainly takes centre stage for me.
Your family and friends should accept your tastes,there are people out there that have loved ones that are Goth's,Skinheads, Punk-rockers,Heavy metal fans,all sorts,they have a style of dress usually,a certain look that puts them into a category,but as Jewel fans,i'm pretty sure we all look like regular guy's & girls,so people sometimes want to then pigeon-hole you,by saying your gay,or weird,or strange,what gives them the right.
Would they rather you were into drugs,or a serious drinker,or a violent person,i mean what harm are you causing being a fan of Jewel.
Everyone will always voice their opinion,and they are entitled to that,but they should know the facts before they judge you,or anyone else.
Jewel is an inspiration to hundreds of thousands of people,i mean she has sold around 27 million albums so far,so are all these millions of people judged as being gay or something ?
I can only suggest that you continue to listen to Jewel,like WE all do,if you find it brings you comfort,enjoyment,and peace in that,well,it's no bad thing.
Take care 'Lonely Angel' your always around friends on this forum,so don't let anyone bother you,you seem to know what your all about to me,contentment within yourself is trully all that matters.
Cheers mate,Crawfy !
Old 01-29-2007, 10:31 PM   #7
Banned

Crawfy,

Thanks for that post! You have solidfied Kiera's wownderful message, and I really appreciate the both of you for posting here, as well as everyone else.

Jonesy

Last edited by 007; 02-12-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:41 PM   #8
awiste
Alli

awiste Between 50 and 149 points

Hey Jones. Just a thought but think about the song "Pieces of You." Perhaps your family is having trouble accepting your differences or tastes because they haven't been able to (or are afraid to) accept their own yet. Stay strong, man, and lead the way to self acceptance.

PS I bet you have more in common with a lot of us on this forum than you think
Old 01-29-2007, 11:20 PM   #9
Lara
JK Fan n°1 in Croatia

Lara Between 0 and 10 points

I have the same problem. My brother tells me I'm obsessed with Jewel and that I should try listening to other musicians... And I always tell him that her music suits me the best!
I believe that no Jewel fan could be obsessed with her...
To me, she has been inspiration, and example of what it means to be an individual, do the things you like, share your passion with others and live a life uncommon...

In Croatia where I live, Jewel isn't very known and when people ask me what music do i listen I always have to explain who Jewel is and so on...But I don't mind it at all Even though sometimes people recognize me as the one who listens to Jewel, most of them (exept my brother) at the end ask me to borrow them Jewel's cds...

So don't worry what others think - enjoy the music!
Old 01-29-2007, 11:23 PM   #10
Banned

I probably have a lot in common with you all, and I have grown to really like you all as one.

Last edited by 007; 02-12-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:26 PM   #11
Lara
JK Fan n°1 in Croatia

My friend's father is a police officer and he loves Jewel so...
Old 01-29-2007, 11:30 PM   #12
Banned

Your words are very kind. Thanks.

Last edited by 007; 02-12-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:46 PM   #13
Lara
JK Fan n°1 in Croatia

maybe you shouldn't worry so much cause then people notice and keep talking about it... If it can help, I'm a psychology student and as far as I know your music preference has nothing to do with your sexual preference... It's all just stereotypes!
But I can understand why you see it that way...
Old 01-29-2007, 11:49 PM   #14
Crawfy-Glasgow
JKF Member

Crawfy-Glasgow Between 50 and 149 points
Smile

Well Jones,i can relate to your Miami Vice stage in life,i was that guy too,the white linen trousers,longish hair with the blonde highlights,the cool pastel shade T-shirts,and the Rayban shades,WOW i thought i was cool.
Also i went through a massive Bruce Lee phase in the mid seventies,i had the Kung fu suits,and the little Black Kung fu slippers,i collected everything i could on Bruce Lee,and i still have it to this day,its all around 33 years old now,i probably should sell it all on Ebay.
I got really into Tupac a few years ago,as like Jewel he was a very intriging person,extremely intelligent,a true poet,i know he was tarred with the Gangsta Rap image,but his lyrics are amazing,he still over-shadows all the so called Rap/Hip hop stars of today,these artists would not have existed if it were not for Tupac.I know he was very controvertial as well,but deep down he was a serious song writer and poet,his tragic death was un-timely,but his music and lyrics will live on forever.
We all have our phases in life,so you are maybe not as different as you imajine,but if you feel you are different,thats ok,as long as YOU are comfortable with who you are,so maybe it's those around you that have to learn to be comfortable in who you are,and accept the things that make you content in life.
I don't know what age you are,but you need to be happy with your self,see the good in life,god knows there is plenty of bad stuff for us all to dwell on,we all only get one stab at this life thing,so we have got to give it our best shot,it can be too short at times,so make your life count.
Somehow i find that nearly everyone that i'm a fan,or admirer of,(Jewel excluded),is DEAD. For example : James Dean - Marilyn Monroe - Tupac Shakur - Bruce Lee - River Phoenix - John Lennon - and quite a few more,thats weird.
Anyway,you will always find support and encouragment from the members of the JKF,so your stuck with all of us crazy Jewel fans too.
Take it easy mate,even though you feel like a 'Lonely Angel' maybe we can be your 'Angel Standing By'.

Cheers Jones,all the best,Crawfy !!!

Old 01-29-2007, 11:55 PM   #15
Banned

Yeah, you understand a piece of it. My fathehr was a world class body builder and posed in thheh Mister Olympia (that's the second highest competition for bodybuilding in the world, next to Mr. Universe). My borther believes in his bones that he will be the next heavy weight champion of the world in boxing. and heh believes he can beat all of the champions, he trains three hours a day.

My bro works out dsaily all day, and I'm jsut kinda normal, a yuppie wannabe, who likes soft music.

Last edited by 007; 02-12-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Closed Thread