The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-17-2005, 07:16 AM   #1
Angel_Eyes
Members

Angel_Eyes Between 10 and 49 points

Has anyone seen this yet? Apparently someone found out how to make the layout of the gmail inbox different colors and such. I just tried it and got this result:

http://home.ripway.com/2005-3/267244/gmail.png (the spaces are emails that I covered up. I don't want people to know about them. :P)

Here's the address that tells you how to do it:

http://persistent.info/archives/2004...gmail-skinning

It's pretty nifty. :)

Now playing: The Wallflower - Laughing Out Loud (I'm gonna be doing this most of the time now. :))

"I am a princess and I'm locked inside a stone tower of song.
Trying to write messages on the wind trying to send the message how I just want to belong.
"
Jewel - Choose Me/Where You Are
Angel_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
MrCC
JKF Member

MrCC Between 10 and 49 points

Tracy:

I have not seen it, but I'm happy enough with what Google has come up with so far. Gmail has been adding features to Gmail at a very fast rate. I expect soon that they will add skins to their service. Here's the Gmail new features I enjoy the most:
  • Always increasing storage currently at 2.1gb
  • Pop3 mail support.
  • Ability to send HTML mail.
  • Their Spam Filter is the Best!
  • Ability to report spam and phishing scams.

I usually use Microsoft Outlook to access my accounts - Gmail and others including Hotmail. I guess that's why skins don't interest me. All my mail goes onto my computer. I leave an archived copy on Gmail of everything and I'm not even using 10% of it's capacity. I also use the Gmail spam filter to catch all the garbage. I let my spam folder get up to 5000 to 8000 messages before I delete them. I only log into Gmail's webmail interface when I need to view the spam or when I am traveling. You have to check your spam folder, because it does occasionally put a valid message there, although I find they are mostly only newsletters that I subscribe to.

Thanks for the info abou this though. I really think that if something is popular enough Gmail will add it as a feature within a year. They have my favorite E-mail service by far. :wub:
Old 04-17-2005, 07:02 PM   #3
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

I doubt I'll bother. Gmail annoys me. It is good for storage but I would hate to use it for everyday mail coz it is still so clitchy.

I am not sure why they've increased the storage space continuously. I would rather they fixed the silly bugs first. :angry:

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 11:38 PM   #4
MrCC
JKF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by little_bird@Apr 17 2005, 12:02 PM
I doubt I'll bother. Gmail annoys me. It is good for storage but I would hate to use it for everyday mail coz it is still so clitchy.

I am not sure why they've increased the storage space continuously. I would rather they fixed the silly bugs first. :angry:
Like what? I haven't ran into a bug yet and I use it every day.

I'm not sure why they increased it. I do like knowing that I will never run out of space even when I send huge attachments. Up until last year I was paying about $10 a month for a 250mb mailbox. When Gmail started the larger mailbox craze they caused most of the other providers to update their service. If Gmail had never done this many people would still be stuck with their 2mb or 10mb mailboxes. I now receive several 5mb attachments for my work every day in my Gmail account. Hotmail still looses my large attachments but Gmail has never lost one that I am aware.

Anyway to each his/her own. Take care.

:lovejkf:
Old 04-18-2005, 01:23 AM   #5
michaelsjewel
Member's

michaelsjewel Between 10 and 49 points

i would have to agree with mike on this one....WHAT BUGS????!!!!

gmail is simply the easiest mailing system to use...it's 10x faster to look through email and i literally don't have to delete anything - though i do the junk - as for a gmail mail notifier - that is also available and it lets me know when i have new mail...NOW HOW COOL is THAT...

currently...i think i have 2100mb space and increasing......the increasing in the past days just keep on going up...i think the more u use it...the more u get....and the sooner u were a member...the better the storage...and it's all free - everything works -

i used to love hotmail....but now it is too slow, and the ads are just ridiculous. for the past few years i've branched over to my michaelsjewel.com site's email - which now i have 10 full accounts i can use @ 10mb a piece, but that's pathetic - i actually complained to homestead about their pathetic limits for what i pay for their service...that...and their service for storage and bandwidth period -

gmail is doing something right - and with this idea of invitation rather than just a plain old registration - there's bound to be less people registering new accounts over and over again, and it cuts down on the people that make accounts specifically to be running a spam business - increasing gmails' cost and making us suffer - gmail is smart - not so sexy - but it's fast - and i'm happy with it....

for those that disagree...send all hate mail to michaelsjewel@gmail.com :mooner:

and there are skins for gmail? what will they think of next? :clapjoy: :clapjoy: :clapjoy: :clapjoy:
michaelsjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 01:38 AM   #6
MrCC
JKF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelsjewel@Apr 17 2005, 06:23 PM
i would have to agree with mike on this one....WHAT BUGS????!!!!

gmail is simply the easiest mailing system to use...it's 10x faster to look through email and i literally don't have to delete anything - though i do the junk - as for a gmail mail notifier - that is also available and it lets me know when i have new mail...NOW HOW COOL is THAT...

currently...i think i have 2100mb space and increasing......the increasing in the past days just keep on going up...i think the more u use it...the more u get....and the sooner u were a member...the better the storage...and it's all free - everything works -

i used to love hotmail....but now it is too slow, and the ads are just ridiculous. for the past few years i've branched over to my michaelsjewel.com site's email - which now i have 10 full accounts i can use @ 10mb a piece, but that's pathetic - i actually complained to homestead about their pathetic limits for what i pay for their service...that...and their service for storage and bandwidth period -

gmail is doing something right - and with this idea of invitation rather than just a plain old registration - there's bound to be less people registering new accounts over and over again, and it cuts down on the people that make accounts specifically to be running a spam business - increasing gmails' cost and making us suffer - gmail is smart - not so sexy - but it's fast - and i'm happy with it....

for those that disagree...send all hate mail to michaelsjewel@gmail.com :mooner:

and there are skins for gmail? what will they think of next? :clapjoy: :clapjoy: :clapjoy: :clapjoy:
I always appreciate your support Michael. The last thing I want to do is start a fight over this. I think there is an E-mail provider for everybody and I don't really mind if someone chooses a different one than I do. I am just a little curious what bugs are out there - and I'm glad to hear you like Gmail also.

I've used skins on several software programs and I'm also glad they are out there. I think these are third party skins. If I decide to use skins I would much prefer them to be provided through gMail since their service is still a beta.

Now if gMail comes out with a Jewel Skin then I'll simply have to try it.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:52 AM   #7
michaelsjewel
Member's

michaelsjewel Between 10 and 49 points

hmmm....well..angel eyes did post a skin for gmail - but i wasn't liking it - and it mentioned mozilla only - and weird codes...i'm not messing with my gmail - looks fine the way it is -

and yes.....a jewel skin would be great!
(yes - opinion on what makes a good email provider and browsers are always welcome - at least if they side with me...just kidding :clapjoy: )
michaelsjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:44 PM   #8
LonelyLullaby
Members

LonelyLullaby Between 10 and 49 points

I don't like gmail either. Not because I've found any bugs with it, it just reminds me a bit of hotmail and I didn't like it either. I love yahoo
I just don't adapt well to change, and it has a few things different about it
For example I really hated that instead of clicking on a tab to delete messages you had to highlight them and then choose trash from the arrow
'cuse I'm crazy like that ^_^
LonelyLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:50 PM   #9
LonelyLullaby
Members

oh and I remembered another thing that I didn't like as much about it- it's the little things, you know how you can't put messages in folders?
You can highlight them for a special folder but you can't group them together in one, they're either stored in all-mail or inbox. I didn't like that
If I can think of something else I'll let you know :hammer:
Old 04-19-2005, 04:42 PM   #10
MrCC
JKF Member

I didn't like the fact that they have no folders either unitl I finally figured out that they just call them labels instead. You can filter messages to apply labels messages from different people or different words in the subject. Then you can view all the mail with that label. They still leave everything in the same place, but since you can either search or click on the name of the label and all the messages.

Labels plus having a search feature makes it better for me, but I use Outlook to receive all my mail from all my accounts. I have mail accounts on my ISP, on Hotmail, and on gMail. The mail from my 10+/- primary work and family mail addresses all end up on my computer in the same place where I automatically sort them into folders (and automatically archive a copy on gMail). I've always found Pop mail through either Outlook or Outlook Express to be the best way to handle multiple accounts. If I had to log into the web interface for all these accounts it would be too much trouble. By using Outlook I just hit one button to send and receive all mail. Outlook even checks all these accounts automatically and downloads all the attachments in the background while I'm doing something else. Since I send and receive large attachments this is an important feature to me.

Gmail has it's quirks and I don't recommend it for everyone.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:08 PM   #11
LonelyLullaby
Members

I don't like labels as much because I didn't think it was just necessary, I liked when emails were put together under a category, rather than highlighted as a category. And I didn't really like that it showed messages as a conversation
Honestly I think all of this comes just out of the pure fact that I don't adapt well to change, I'm sure that if the email was there from the start maybe it would've been one of my favorite ones :) And besides I don't know much about all of that, I'm not looking into things like multiple accounts and what not ;) I hardly understand any of this, I'm just looking into every-day things like that Yahoo lets you choose the color :P I understand why it's more comfortable for your job Mike and actually thanks for explaining to me why others like it ;)
But I guess it really just depends on your personal preferences and what do you need the account for- one thing that I do really appreciate about GMail is that since they've offered an almost infinite inbox other email providers started moving, and since they have new competition started to improve their service
That was a great thing altogether. And I know- before someone says that- as far as colors go, Gmail is catching up ;)
I understand why they have very important features for you. To each his own :)
By the way if anyone doesn't have an invitation to Gmail and wants one, since I had an account, let me know or just go to the site: http://isnoop.net/gmail