The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Everything Else Jewel
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-04-2007, 04:54 AM   #1
ShawnShamrock
Members

ShawnShamrock Between 50 and 149 points
Default Who do you think should do jewel next

With artists like Bellefire, and Fiona Sit already having cover versions of You were Meant for Me. It got me thinking Jewel is at a point now where anyone of her songs could be covered at anytime. So if you could think of any jewel songs that you would like to see covered what is the song and who is the artist. I will Start

Down So Long - Toby Lightman
I think toby lightman is an amazing artist and i think she could bring a really unique sound to the song and give it a little bit more soul and make it a really intresting song. Look at what she has done for "operator" and "real love"

You were Meant for Me - Damien Rice
I always wanna hear a male sing this song. I think damien rice has an amazing voice and could really make someone's heart melt if he sang this song.

U + Me = LOVE - Girls Aloud
I know people might murder me for saying this one or even putting girls aloud and jewel in the same sentence but if anyone could make a cover a hit it is deftintley girls aloud. I mean "walk this way" "I think were alone now" "Jump" "i'll stand by you" "see the day" . I can't think of their other covers but I can deft seeing this as being right up their alley.

I will think of some more songs later but does anyone else got any ideas
ShawnShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
nikos_
Yes, Im Mr Brightside

nikos_ Between 10 and 49 points

"U & Me.." is the worst song of Jewel ..ever (in my opinion)

Well:

(but no one can sing so good as jewel does it)

"Violet Eyes" by Alanis Morissette

"Grey Matter" by Lisa Loeb

""Foolish Games " by Regina Spektor

"Drive to you" by Kelly Clarkson

nikos_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:38 AM   #3
ShawnShamrock
Members

Intresting take on Regina and Kelly
I can see Kelly making it more rocked out and Regina would be intresint for sure. I will have to think of some more
Old 07-06-2007, 09:13 PM   #4
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordassmonkey View Post
With artists like Bellefire, and Fiona Sit already having cover versions of You were Meant for Me. It got me thinking Jewel is at a point now where anyone of her songs could be covered at anytime. So if you could think of any jewel songs that you would like to see covered what is the song and who is the artist. I will Start

I think toby lightman is an amazing artist and i think she could bring a really unique sound to the song and give it a little bit more soul and make it a really intresting song. Look at what she has done for "operator" and "real love"

I always wanna hear a male sing this song. I think damien rice has an amazing voice and could really make someone's heart melt if he sang this song.

I know people might murder me for saying this one or even putting girls aloud and jewel in the same sentence but if anyone could make a cover a hit it is deftintley girls aloud. I mean "walk this way" "I think were alone now" "Jump" "i'll stand by you" "see the day" . I can't think of their other covers but I can deft seeing this as being right up their alley.

This title made me scared at first! My answer would have been "ME!!!" But anyway, I think I would want to here Godsmack cover "Jesus Loves You." I think they would put a really awesome spin on that song.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:21 AM   #5
artistindisguise
JKF Member

artistindisguise Between 0 and 10 points

i would want vanessa carlton to do foolish games, because jewel's voice sounds so vulnerable and sad in the verses, which i can so see vanessa doing, but i can also totally picture vanessa doing the "excuse me, think i've mistaken you for somebody else" part.

. . .
[[smocks are smexy]]
. . . pieces of us die everyday . . .
Eat the flesh
Spit out the seeds
artistindisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:33 AM   #6
wackyoverkhaki
Super JKF Member

wackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 pointswackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 points

This is a very interesting post. I'll have to give her other songs some thought, but I could definitely see Who Will Save Your Soul and A Very Big Girl easily being covered as jazz songs- too bad all the best jazz artists are dead or old. AVBG is very Ella Mae or Velma Middleton and I can also see Maxine Sullivan or Peggy Lee doing it. And I can just picture young Lena Horne singing a slower version of WWSYS- the way she moved and made gestures when she sang would look great with the song and she made similar facial contortions, eye expressions, and smiles to Jewel's when she sang. And I can't think of many Jewel songs that couldn't be covered by country/blues singers, her acoustic stuff anyway, not so sure about most of 0304!
Some more thoughts:
Alison Krause- Grey Matter
Rascal Flatts- Down So Long
Sara Evans- Break Me
Trisha Yearwood- Foolish Games

I think the reverse would be even better, that is, Jewel covering other people's songs. There are so many different potential songs that I've imagined Jewel covering- her voice is so versatile. Not to mention she's covered many artists already- Donovan, Lynard Skynard, Ella Fitzgerald, Tracy Chapman, The Beatles...
Old 07-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
ShawnShamrock
Members

Sara Evans doing Break Me. That I would have to see to believe it.
I could see Sara doing an amazing version of Everybody needs someone sometimes
Old 07-07-2007, 07:06 PM   #8
last_dance_rodeo
Temporarily Absent Mod

last_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 pointslast_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 points

It's a tie between Beth Ditto and Melissa Etheridge for love me just leave me alone. I'm leaning more towards Melissa though I love her raspy voice.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #9
JThisWay620
JKF Member

JThisWay620 Between 50 and 149 points

The dya Godsmackcovers a Jewle song is the day I look for the Four Horseman! Godsmack isn'ta politicla band so them doing a political song would be waaay out of flavor.

I would love to hear Marilyn Manson do a Jewel cover, maybe "Fragile Heart" since he's doing all that "lovey- dovey sad and lonely" stuff now. Make it all Gothy.

Pussy Cat Dolls could cover "Only One Too."

Melissa Etheridge could do "Drive to You."

Alanis would sound killer on "Violet Eyes" as well as "Carnivore."
JThisWay620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:31 AM   #10
JewelJK
JKF Member

JewelJK Between 50 and 149 points

yay! I think Alanis would do a good Violet Eyes but not Carnivore. I dont think her voice has that range. Maybe.

Tori Amos covering- Angel Standing By or ANY of Jewels songs.
Fiona Apple covering- Dont

Id like to hear Jewel do something with Tori amos.

Darkness surrounds me... I scratch, I struggle, I breathe ...
JewelJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
FoolishGames1995
JKF Member

FoolishGames1995 Between 0 and 10 points

Quote:

Benjamin Costello, an unsigned singer-songwriter, did a cover of Foolish Games. It's pretty good. He even added the extra verse!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:59 PM   #12
M€RIO
aUsTrIaN kIlChErIaN

M€RIO Between 50 and 149 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishGames1995 View Post
Benjamin Costello, an unsigned singer-songwriter, did a cover of Foolish Games. It's pretty good. He even added the extra verse!
Thx for the info! You can download his version on his website http://benjamincostello.com/music.php
its great!

~i wanna pilot a plane with you

~so all our problems look small too

~i
ts just an inch from me to you
~depending on what map you use

*jewelonpianoandmore=)*
M€RIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:28 PM   #13
Sonne
Super JKF Member

Sonne Between 0 and 10 points

Hi M€RIO again jeje:
I had follow your advice and I´m hearing right now the cover of Benjamin Costello, it´s nice.
Take care, Sonne
Sonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #14
M€RIO
aUsTrIaN kIlChErIaN

M€RIO Between 50 and 149 points

Quote:
s
hey have you ever heared the standalone version of steve poltz singing ywmfm? Its up on youtube:

steve poltz - you were meant for me

~i wanna pilot a plane with you

~so all our problems look small too

~i
ts just an inch from me to you
~depending on what map you use

*jewelonpianoandmore=)*
M€RIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #15
Sonne
Super JKF Member

Sonne Between 0 and 10 points

I don´t understand the question, well I do understand it but I saw the diferent answers and NOW I don´t know what the meaning is.
Could someone explain it to me please?
Thanks, take care, Sonne
Sonne is offline   Reply With Quote