The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-15-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
Webbed
JKF Member

Webbed Between 150 and 249 pointsWebbed Between 150 and 249 points
Default You gotta be kidding me!

OK, why is it that people have to take things so literally or out of context?

"SYDNEY (AFP) - Santas in Australia's largest city have been told not to use Father Christmas's traditional "ho ho ho" greeting because it may be offensive to women, it was reported ThursdayOne disgruntled Santa told the newspaper a recruitment firm warned him not to use "ho ho ho" because it could frighten children and was too close to "ho", a US slang term for prostitute."

I think we need to concentrate on the bigger issue here: ban the Rudploh the Rednose Reindeer song! The song describes how reindeer openly discriminated against red nose reindeers and Management did nothing abouit it, and when Santa decided to make Rudolph is favorite (he has a red nose too), he effectively allowed for a "teacher's pet" (across species!). And while this could be viewed as affirmative action, there is clearly no other reindeer song that describes any other reindeer receiving such treatment.

I will start the petition immediately.
Webbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Political correctness has gotten way too out of hand. That's just silly. Heck - why not give Santa brown hair as having white hair could be considered 'age-ist' (sorry - not sure of the spelling of that word)

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:01 AM   #3
last_dance_rodeo
Temporarily Absent Mod

last_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 pointslast_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 points

i find this thread hilarious, what's wrong with people these days?!?!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:15 AM   #4
JewelWiki
JKF Member

JewelWiki Between 150 and 249 pointsJewelWiki Between 150 and 249 pointsJewelWiki Between 150 and 249 points

Yikes!
Old 11-16-2007, 03:01 AM   #5
mjuehl3
JKF Member

mjuehl3 Between 0 and 10 points

wow that is soooo ridiculous!!! some people are just always looking for something to be offended about...geez
mjuehl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:39 PM   #6
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

apparently there is a city in colorado that has a committee dedicated to making sure there are NO colored lights used in Christmas decorating
I am SO VERY SICK of all this stupid "oh no we can't call it Christmas" CRAP! That is what it is--CRAP! If people have NOTHING better to do than to protest a darned holiday then they need to go do something USEFUL like volunteer somewhere.

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:14 AM   #7
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

ItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 pointsItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 points

stupid

so close no matter how far
couldn't be much more from the heart
forever trusting who we are
and nothing else matters

ItBeThatWay27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:33 AM   #8
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

DreamsLast Between 50 and 149 points

Well, what about the Tooth Fairy? Use of the word 'fairy' could be misconstrued as a derogatory comment toward homosexuals......Why not just ban the Tooth Fairy too!!! And let's not forget the Easter Bunny who delivers eggs to children all around the world....I'm sure radical animal activists are upset about using so many eggs (not to mention the use of RABBIT labor!).....Time to ban the Easter Bunny, and heck, why not ban Easter altogether too (someone might be reminded that use of the word 'Easter' refers to Jesus Christ!). Oh, the shame.

This is frickin' ridiculous. I'm so over stupid stuff like this these days. Hell, let's just ban ALL holidays, how does that sound? We'll just call them 'vacation-days' instead so absolutely NO ONE is offended.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
louloublu
Super JKF Member

louloublu Between 10 and 49 points

You guys are all so funny. I'm not at the top of my game today so I can't come up with anything but you are completely correct Webbed! I'm sick of people trying to create a homogenous world. There is room for so many beliefs and customs in this world but influential people are afraid of offending anybody so they bring the common denominator down so low that anybody can potentially be offended by anything. It's like Jewel says in the sleeve notes in 03:04 [sic] "Fear of litigation is the new censorship".

It's ironic that you started this thread Webbed because I was recently at a company meeting and we had a lecture entitled "Dignity and Respect in the Workplace" which was probably the most frustrating 90 minutes of my life. We learned about the definitions of harrassment and apparently one can be harrassing someone without even intending to and that I can take pretty much take any aspect of the workplace or my co-workers behaviour and construe it as harrassment. The lecturer told us of a case he'd worked on where a factory worker logged a complaint that on account of his religion, he was offended by female workers wearing sleeveless tops in warm weather. Guess what? The company amended their dress code policy. What is the problem with this? I find that to be sexual harrassment if a man is allowed to wear a sleevless top and I am not. If the company and co-workers allow him to practice his religion without comment then he should afford his co-workers the same respect and his company should have stood up for that. I work with people of different beliefs and I don't give hoot as long as they turn up for work on time, look presentable (ie not scruffy) and do their jobs.

I also heard of a case several years ago (or it could have been an episode of Ally McBeal, it's that crazy) where a woman took her city to court because they wouldn't employ her as Santa. Maybe I should take Gillette to court cos they wouldn't give me the Mach 3 job. Feckers!

"You thought I didn't notice the skin on your teeth had a tear."
louloublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:06 PM   #10
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

loulou, I love you, will you marry me
X-D

people are completely ridiculous, don't we as people in general realize that by trying to not offend anyone you end up offending everyone
and by trying to be inoffensive you just end up binding and gagging everyone about everything
it's just all so ridiculous

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
louloublu
Super JKF Member

louloublu Between 10 and 49 points

Andrea I will marry you but I have to say your avatar is freaking me out, though I respect your decision to use that avatar

Edited cos Andrea just changed her avatar and it's not freaking me out anymore.

"You thought I didn't notice the skin on your teeth had a tear."
louloublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

I was kind of thinking about this subject last night @ work..... I get along with so many people. So many different people. It's often the people I get along with are talking trash about other people I get along with.. so I just sort of say nothing. The odd thing is I can understand where they all are coming from. I guess I am a realist. I see the crap other people do and recognize it for whatever it may be: annoyance, arrogance, ignorance.. whatever. But I still accept these people for who they are. Or even their beliefs. People talk about odd stuff at work and if I let myself get too worked up over every little thing, I'd be miserable. I think a lot of people who are Christian would probly want to stick their finger in my face b/c when people crack Jesus jokes or jokes about Christians or make points against Christians, I don't usually defend... and honestly it's b/c I can understand. It's not Christianity.. it's the people who shove stuff down their throats or use really lame propaganda, gimmicks and catch phrases. Ok now I feel like I am babbling. My point was that I too understand and ask why are they trying to force the world to be homogenous?? Leave things be and just accept not everyone is like you and move on. Enjoy people for who they are.

and nothing else matters

Old 11-24-2007, 05:56 PM   #13
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

I think people think that I'm always offensive, but I really don't feel like I'm trying it. Politically correctness has gone way out of control across the world, you can't even dye your hair any color you want to? Why not, it's not like it's going to hurt anybody. I wish more people could see that just because somebody's doing something that you don't agree with you let them go as long as their not hurting anybody. I think it's wrong to force beliefs and moral standards on people, and that they should be able to determine their own boundaries. This is basically my whole philosophy of world peace, but I know it's just a hopeless cause.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:16 AM   #14
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

Well I agree absolutely with you Kyle

and nothing else matters

Old 11-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #15
cherry-queen