The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Everything Else Jewel
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
Sonne
Super JKF Member

Sonne Between 0 and 10 points
Default Bus accident!!! Everything´s ok

This was written right from Jewel:

September 1, 2008

Well, we had quite a scare last night. I have two buses on the road. One is for me and Amy and Ty, and the other is for my band and crew. Ty and I were flying out this morning, so we didn’t do a night drive back, instead we parked in a hotel parking lot and my bus driver, Mike slept in the hotel. My band headed back to Nashville, as that's where everyone lives- a 14 hour drive from Virginia Beach where we had our show. Their driver, Deano, had the flu the last couple days, and we all knew he wasn't feeling well, so all the other drivers on the tour buddied up on the CB radio with him to check in. All seemed fine. All the guys went to bed in their bunks except Joel (one of my techs) and 2 other guys. Around 2am, Joel asked Deano if he wanted anything to drink and he said sure, a diet coke, so Joel went back to the fridge to get it and the next thing he knew the bus was flying off the road and into the middle median- a grassy dirt ditch that separated the two opposing highways. Joel braced himself in the doorway that leads into bunk area, and yelled at all the guys to stay in their bunks. The bus, that also was pulling a trailer behind it, was careening and wrecking- luggage and guitars and bags were flying all over the place. Amazingly the bus didn’t tip over and all came to a stop. The 11 guys in my crew got out of their bunks, (thank god Joel had enough wit about him to yell for everyone to stay in their bunks so no one got hit with anything!) Everyone assumed the bus had blown a tire. My tour manager Schwy went to check on Deano, and he was unconscious, slumped over the steering wheel. He called 911, and as he waited for emergency vehicles to arrive, they couldn't get Deano to wake up. Finally he came to, he was delirious and making no sense, and they laid him down on the couch. He was white as a ghost and sweating profusely. Everyone still assumed the bus had blown a tire, and that Dino must have bumped his head when they crashed and got knocked out. Everyone else was ok on the bus, but emergency services checked everyone out to make sure. And they took Deano to the hospital to check him out. Once off the bus, the guys saw a 50 foot trench the bus dug into the earth, and the trailer was torn off its axels- it was a miracle the tall, top heavy bus didn’t flip.
But there was no blown tire.
Deano must have passed out while he was driving! He was fine and asking for a diet coke one second, and then unconscious the next.
Soon all of the other buses from the Brad Paisley tour(Brad’s, Chuck Wicks’ and Julianne Hough’s and all their crew buses) drove by, all on their way to Nashville, and stopped to help and make sure everyone was ok. Brad had flown after his show directly home, so his bus was pretty much empty, and so after all the paper work was filled out and everything was wrapped up, they split my guys up between busses and took them home with them. Needless to say my guys couldn't sleep.
We are just so thankful everyone is ok and safe now, and that Deano is in good hands at the hospital.
Brads tour has a few weeks off, so my guys will have a chance to be home for a while and chill, which I'm glad for. I found all this out when I woke up today, as we drove to the Norfolk airport, headed back to the ranch. Talk about a shock. Lord. I just thank God everyone is OK.

So I´m glad to say everything is ok and let us send Joel all the good energy and good wishes he deserve
Take care, Sonne
Sonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
artistindisguise
JKF Member

artistindisguise Between 0 and 10 points

wow that's awful... but it's wonderful that everybody is alright!! my best wishes to everyone.

. . .
[[smocks are smexy]]
. . . pieces of us die everyday . . .
Eat the flesh
Spit out the seeds
artistindisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

My God that's awful but a blessing that no-one was hurt and that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Someone was looking after them that day. Hope Deano is alright. Much more than the flu it sounds and incredibly frightening. Poor guy.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote