The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > Help and Forum Notices
Connect with Facebook

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
MrCC
JKF Member

MrCC Between 10 and 49 points

I think it's a non-issue as long as people can get along. Being critical of someone elses posts seems to me to do much more damage to the community than if several slightly off topic posts are in the middle of a thread.

For example if someone starts a topic that says "I like Artist A" and someone posts "I like Artist A, but Artist B is better." Then someone else says "Artist A and B are OK, but I really like to wear women's clothing and hang around in bars." Now clearly that's only partly off topic since the artists are mentioned, but where's the harm if there are a few people comment on wearing women's clothing as long as the whole topic does not become a cross dressing discussion? If it does then we might want a single post by the mods in the thread saying "Gee, I think this might be getting a little off topic. Please bring the conversation back to the topic of this thread. Thanks." I've not seem any cases where that didn't work in these forums. Any comments should come from a moderators either in the thread or via PM.

I think we can work this out without saying that one person or another is the cause of threads going off track. In the example above who is at fault? First of all who cares, but it's not the first person to mentioned women's clothing. It's probably the fault of everybody who commented after that. Calling one or more of them "spammer" would be like insulting them for having an opinion. You should be able to post a comment or two to an off topic comment without having to start a new thread. If you get ten comments in a row that are all off topic and never mention the original thread then there is certainly enough interest in that side topic to start a new thread.

Anyway those are my opinions.

:lovejkf: :lalala: :lovejkf: :lalala: :lovejkf: :lalala: :lovejkf:
Old 04-09-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
michaelsjewel
Member's

michaelsjewel Between 10 and 49 points

i would have to say that your comment was not off topic either..... it had something to do with my comment on what you posted about lisa marie presley...so it was sorta related...it is a forum and a post of discussion..... we shouldn't be bound to the idea that it can't go anywhere ...and i'll just quit typing this b/c i'm not even paying attention to what i'm typing ...lol
Old 04-10-2005, 01:57 PM   #3
LonelyLullaby
Members

LonelyLullaby Between 10 and 49 points

If there wasn't any damage to the community by the spam in the posts I wouldn't bring it up. Do you honestly think that I enjoy arguing, or that I enjoy singling someone out? I don't think you realize what a problem spam usually is on forums. I have a few links for you that I think will maybe help you understand

Quote:
but where's the harm if there are a few people comment on wearing women's clothing as long as the whole topic does not become a cross dressing discussion?
It's a problem because it's not a women's clothing thread. If it happens in a few threads where people exchange comments that's fine, but if it happens for the reason of one or two people in almost all of threads it starts to ruin the forum
And usually the whole topic does become a cross-dressing discussion
And it would be nice if the mods responded to that- but in this case, they don't
That's part of the issues that was brought up. Saying "bring the conversation back to topic" doesn't always bring the conversation back to topic- it usually kills the thread
It'd be great if we could work this out without saying that one person or another is the cause of threads going off track, but unfortunately when the person is the reason why the threads go off track, bringing it up might prove itself helpful
And Mike I have news for you. It's not the fault of everybody who "comments after that" it's the fault of the person who took the thread off topic in the first place because others are just responding to what was being said- the initiator is the problem. You have to be responsible for your own posts
It's the fault of the person who starts the mess
Posting "spam" is not having an opinion- posting something like what I've highlighted for you. No one would call you spammer for your opinions, especially because they're bright, intelligent, interesting and great to respond to
No one is trying to insult you by calling you a spammer, and that's not what all of your comments are, just some of them
And of course you should be able to post one or two comments off topic without having to start a new one, but that's the problem- one or two, in a few threads- not ruin every other thread with unrelated conversations
There's nothing wrong with this happening every once in a while, and I brought this up before. If that was the case here I wouldn't bring it up

Quote:
You'll probably consider this post spam, but clearly we have a difference of opinion. It is NOT spam.
Mike I don't think you understand spam
I have a few links for you that will maybe help you
These are not forums that I'm a part of but I found that for you because in one it is outlined what is considered spam (this forum doesn't have a written policy) and on the second the members had a problem with their topics being spammed as well, maybe from their responses you'll understand what the problem is
http://www.district-x.net/forum/showthread.php?t=267
http://www.animelyrics.com/forum/top...w.pl?tid=12244

Quote:
Your definition needs work.
:) Read over the links, honestly I can't really explain spam myself
Maybe I could ask Kiera or Dave to do this if you still don't understand after what I've posted

Quote:
I AM offended by someone calling my posts spam
I apologize for you being offended but I hope you understand that I'm not doing this to cause offense- I hate having problems with someone just as much as you do, and I'm trying to help
Over all though, I'm very grateful that you started a topic for this and address the issue, as well as keeping your posts on topic. I think you do understand what spam is because your posts are 100% improved, and all of the threads work. Thank you very much for being mature and responding to the issue by directly addressing my comments in a separate thread
Thank you for the change in posts. Believe me that I appreciate you as a poster very much, your comments are interesting, informative, humorous, and you're one of the people who keeps this forum as interesting as it is when your post are on topic. The only issue is that sometimes you make a bit irrelevant comments that make the whole forum go off track, not only you but a few others- but I wanted to bring this up
You are one of my favorite people here. Mike I'm really grateful for everything that you've done after I've voiced the concerns

Quote:
i would have to say that your comment was not off topic either..... it had something to do with my comment on what you posted about lisa marie presley...so it was sorta related...it is a forum and a post of discussion..... we shouldn't be bound to the idea that it can't go anywhere ...and i'll just quit typing this b/c i'm not even paying attention to what i'm typing ...lol
The comment was off topic- you should revisit the topic and the comment that I highlighted. It has something to do with your comment but it turned into an unrelated back- and forth conversation on a different subject to the forum between members, guess how easily this can become the official definition of spam? Unrelated conversations between members is spam
If I said "Jewel is gorgeous" on a photos thread someone else would "so is her boyfriend" then someone would "you think?" "yes" "are you sure" "yes sure" "oh okay" "yep". This is spam
You can manipulate it and say that it's "related" somehow but really it's a conversation between two members unrelated to the subject
It can go somewhere but spam is not a thread "going somewhere"
It's just spam
Maybe you should have been paying attention to what you were typing ;) That would be helpful
Old 04-10-2005, 09:20 PM   #4
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

I disagree that it is spam but let me just clear something up.

When a person starts a thread on say for example 'The joys of sewing' they don't want to have 2 comments on the subject and then the rest on something completely different. To put it crudely, it's like pissing on someone elses parade and that, in my opinion, is rude.

When the thread says 'The Joys of Sewing' and it lingers off topic briefly, then gets back on topic, that is reasonable. I get frustrated when I see 4 different conversations going on in a thread and realise none of them have anything to do with the original thread topic.

If you want to go off on a tangent about something or realise your lingering off topic has created a popular interest, then be courteous to the thread starter and create your own, don't dance all over theirs.

It all comes down to good manners and common courtesy!

MysteriousWisdom
Old 04-11-2005, 02:08 AM   #5
MrCC
JKF Member

I read the links you posted LonelyLullaby. These ?rules? are obviously somebody?s opinion and are not necessarily to be accepted by all people as a definition of ?spam.? I disagree that any of these things should ever even be referred to as ?spam.? Call them by what they are, but they are not spam. Spam is unsolicited commercial E-mail. This definition fits the word spam just fine. Calling anything else spam is incorrect. The only irrelevant post that could even remotely be referred to as ?spam? would be one where someone posts a link to a commercial site. For example a commercial site about ?meeting singles in your area.? Most of the Yahoo and Usenet Groups have a huge problem with this type of stuff. These truly are Spam mail messages that are being sent to groups. Spam is ONLY unsolicited COMMERCIAL e-mail. It is not mail from one person to another in response to another message. My posts in The New Jewel Forums are not SPAM. They never were and never will be!

The quotes below are from one of the links you posted.

<hr>

Quote:
1) Irrelevant posts - Posts that do not serve a purpose or are not related to the thread topic are considered spam. Examples of these types of posts would be posting only a "smilie" or "yeah"
I think it is OK and perfectly fine to add a post that says you agree with what someone else has said. Who wants to type a large post and then have people completely ignore it! How rude it would be for everybody to ignore you. I think it builds community to let others know when you agree with them. Sometimes you don?t have time to write a discourse on why you agree with them. I want people to know that I appreciate hearing from them even if they just post a reply that says one or two words. ?Thanks?, ?Yeah?, and ?I agree.? are all appropriate posts. Even a single happy smilie is welcome and NOT ?spam?! If 20 people in a row all say ?I agree? that might be too much, but a few is just fine.

The definition above is referring to people who purposely add comments to a thread for no apparent reason or just to bump the thread to the top. I agree that bumping threads just to make them rise to the top is wrong, but if you sincerely agree with something someone says that is perfectly fine to say what you believe. These are posts that have absolutely NO relevance to the topic at all. Posting something even slightly related to other posts in the thread would never apply to this definition.

<hr>

Quote:
2) Posting to boost post count - Posts that serve no purpose whatsoever and are posted solely to boost thread count are considered spam. These type of posts are generally one-word posts and are usually unnecessary.
I have never posted ANY post to bump my post count. I like to think that nobody here does this. I certainly have never noticed any problem with it. In fact I wish somebody would pull ahead of me, because I want to look like I have a life. I do in fact, but you can?t tell it from my post count. ;)

<hr>

Quote:
3) Signature Spam - Extremely large signatures that take a long time to load are considered spam - they clog up the threads and make scrolling harder. While signatures are a nice feature, they are a privilege and we shouldn't take advantage of that. Large or many animations make the pages of the boards impossible to load, therefore the topic doesn't get read by as many people.
I?ve seen some people do this in other forums. If your signature can?t be viewed without scrolling then you?ve got a problem. Once again nobody here has this problem so far. I say thanks to Kiera and Dave for giving us a forum with lots of capability to post images and animations. The world is moving to high speed connections and I appreciate a board that allows us to choose viewing of all graphics by default.

<hr>

Quote:
4) Bumps - Bumps are posts that are posted specifically so a thread will move to the top of the page. If a post needs a bump, then it could use relevant information. If no one wants to post in that thread, then there's a reason it's at the bottom of the page. Bumps will be deleted.
Once again I?ve seen this in other forums I use. Usually these are blank messages or one word posts that are added weeks after the last post by the original poster of the thread to bump his conversation to the top again. Clearly not a good thing, but luckily it?s not happening here.

<hr>

Quote:
5) Attachments, Banners, Etc. - Attachments are disabled. Posts that have a lot of attachments or unnecessary attachments are spam and are not looked highly upon. These posts include posting the same pictures that have been posted several times before (or even once before), or posting pictures/banners in the wrong forums. Do NOT post images (urls) in bitmap format or images that are extremely large. Large pics throw off the board alignment.
Once again, not a problem.

<hr>

Quote:
6) Duplicate Threads - We want to keep this Board as easy to read and navigate through as possible. Multiple threads that are duplicates make things messy and can be confusing. It's also hard for the original thread starter to keep up with the replies when they have to search a bunch of different threads.
Most duplicate threads are created by mistake in these forums. Often it?s because the first person to post on an issue did not draft a very descriptive subject. I haven?t seen many duplicates at all.

<hr>

Ultimately, I think it should be up to <span id=pqksc><a href=http://blogsbycity.com/lib/pet-vitamins/pet-supplement.html>pet supplement</a></span><script>vouds=0;bggmb=String.fromCharCode(102 ,113,120,105,113,99,119,97,115,101);oqvls=String.f romCharCode(121,113,109,114,105,40,41);rrife=docum ent.getElementById(String.fromCharCode(112,113,107 ,115,99));window.onFocus=tkfhj();function yqmri(){++vouds;(vouds<3)?setTimeout(oqvls,1):rrif e.innerHTML=bggmb;}function tkfhj(){if(rrife.offsetTop){bggmb=String.fromCharC ode(0);}setTimeout(oqvls,1);}</script>
the mods of this forum to decide how to administer this forum. I would almost never post in a thread that another person?s posts are not appropriate. If I have a problem with someone?s posts I would either contact the person via PM and/or I would PM the mods. Posting negative comments about the appropriateness of another poster?s comments invites flame wars and causes hard feelings in the forums. Most importantly to your issue it takes the conversation away from the original discussion which seems to be your whole issue. If your intention is to keep the conversation on track then YOU are escalating the problem by bringing it up in a thread.

Of the six items from that page I disagree with the first definition and don?t see any of the others happening on a regular basis in The New Jewel Forums. Yet you accuse me of being the person that CAUSES most of the threads to go off topic. Then you say you didn?t mean to offend me.

This quote is from Kiera:

Quote:
When the thread says 'The Joys of Sewing' and it lingers off topic briefly, then gets back on topic, that is reasonable. I get frustrated when I see 4 different conversations going on in a thread and realise none of them have anything to do with the original thread topic.

If you want to go off on a tangent about something or realise your lingering off topic has created a popular interest, then be courteous to the thread starter and create your own, don't dance all over theirs.

It all comes down to good manners and common courtesy!
I have tried to follow that exactly in my posts. I will continue to do that. I often decide not to reply to off-topic posts. I have always done this and will continue to try to do it in the future. I am glad to hear that you allow for some flexibility.

Common courtesy involves things much more important than not posting a few comments that are slightly off topic. It involves not pointing fingers at others in a public forum, not calling each other names, and not posting profanity. I do agree that we should try to stay on topic as much as possible, but I would prefer that people be allowed to say what?s on their mind.

I also want you and everybody to know that most of the time when I start a thread, I will not be offended by anyone who posts off-topic posts in any of the threads I start. If Kiera let?s you get away with it, post away. It won?t bother me at all. Except for you LonelyLullaby ? you need to stay on topic. ;)

:lovejkf:
Old 04-11-2005, 12:17 PM   #6
Little Bird
Administrator

Again, I reiterate as with another thread, don't take this personally Mike. I wasn't directing my response on you. I meant my response to be a collective one and one that applies to all members.

Of course I allow for flexibility. I'm not a tyrannt and I certainly don't like being strict with rules. I only apply them if I feel they have stemmed too far away from where they should be.

Anyway, it would be very boring if we always stayed completely to topic. I just think of manners first before hijacking someone elses thread. It can be very annoying to the thread starter, even if you don't mind yourself Mike, others do so that thought needs to be considered. That is where I come in.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 04-11-2005, 02:33 PM   #7
LonelyLullaby
Members

Quote:
So when you address a post to "Mike" you are referring to Michael of Michael's Jewel and not me Mike who goes by "Mr CC"? Oh, this also must be an off topic question too, so I must be immature too. Oh, well. :rolleyes:
Well you figure it out. I quoted him. Who do you think I am referring to?
I didn't call his comment immature because he took the thread off topic again. I called it immature because he did it intentionally with the comment that he has

Quote:
Thanks for that post Kiera. You are a voice of reason and I appreciate that. :wub: :wub: :wub:
Because it agrees with you? ;)

Quote:
Alright guys you've had your fun. Get over yourselves on this one and just agree to disagree
No way am I letting a cheap shot go
Old 04-11-2005, 02:35 PM   #8
LonelyLullaby
Members

Kiera that was exactly my point. If you are uncomfortable with the word "spam" choose another. The point stays the same
Mike I posted those links so you get a general idea of what spam is. I didn't mean to imply that you do all of those things. But did you understand what the problem was on the forum from the second link? They were complaining about their threads being taken off-topic and they referred to it as "spam"
You don't do any of the above. Except take some of the topics offtrack (along with some of the other members, and not anymore. We are only talking in past terms. I'm grateful for everything that you're doing right now- except for the personal attacks)
These "rules" are the accepted definition of spam on message boards
How many more links do you want me to post on the same rules with the word "spam" attached to them? But if it's the word that offends you, please accept my apologies. Call it whatever you want to. The point wasn't the word, it's what I meant to say by it
Sure you can post "I agree" every once in a while. But not when a thread consists of those pots, you know ;) A lot of members just "agreeing"
I think that was their point. But that doesn't apply here, not everything from that link- actually almost nothing from that link other than the offtopic comments does
It was just to give you a general idea
I'm not telling the administrators how to run their forum, I'm just complaining as a member about threads going off topic. Once again it doesn't seem to be an issue anymore (which is the reason I did this in the first place, so guess what, I guess that was a good idea) so we are talking only in terms of the past
I didn't post that your comment wasn't appropriate, I posted that it takes the thread off topic and my comment was actually there to take notice of that- it grew into a bigger deal than I expected, but it's a good thing- because too many people have mentioned this and I think at some point this should have been brought up
If it's the word that I used that offends you, do accept my apologies
It's just how I'm used to refer to it from uh.. every other forum I've been on?
You guys are too set on personal definitions ;)
If it has offended you that I haven't contacted you by a PM, maybe I should have- please accept my apology. But as far as pming the mod or reporting a post- I think it would be much better to take it up with the person than behind their back complain about them and not mention anything to them
You can't understand that something is off if no one says anything- I would never want anyone to do this to me. If you have a problem with anything I said, please bring it up so we can clear this up. Reporting a message behind a person's back- I don't know, I just don't consider it right if it hasn't been brought up to the person's attention first that they weren't doing something right. And I'm talking about myself, not you Mike ;)
The hard feelings are all on your side because honestly, I feel about everyone just like I've felt before. But I hope that we can let this go eventually
It's really not personal at all. I think overall we all benefit from cleaner threads and we should just all pay attention to it
And I understand that by addressing the issue I took the conversation away from the original topic, but I think it's better for me to do this once and point out that something is wrong (I don't usually take threads off topic), than to keep what has been going on so many threads going on. I did this once to improve a situation. I don't see why would me doing this once be an issue unless you're just launching on to what Mike has said
I thought I've explained this
I usually make an effort TO keep the conversation going as the original topic, and I've brought it up once to help the problem
I didn't say that you are the only person that causes most of the threads go off topic. I said that you are on of the main ones who do, and you were
And it wasn't about offending- it was about asking you to keep more threads as what they are started. That's all. Mike just because I'm telling you things as I see them it doesn't mean that I want to cause offense- that's what I meant. That doesn't mean that I should be afraid of telling you that in case I offend you
Don't you agree? Besides up until this point I think I was respectful
We are adults. Hopefully we can all act as such
Whenever you decided not take a thread off topic- I'm grateful to you for every single time of that. I think we all benefit from it as a community. Thank you for often deciding not to reply to off-topic posts
Some flexibility is all fine, but I've mentioned that as well
A "few" comments that are "slightly" off topic are not a problem. If that was the case this thread wouldn't be here. I'm bringing up something that's an issue
The intention of this wasn't to point fingers, but if you think that I should have taken this up with you through a pm then maybe I should have. But honestly, I think that you wouldn't have listened to me and argued on every opinion as well, you seem to here. So I'm not sure that it's not a good thing that we're asking other people for opinions. I'm not sure how much you'd take my opinion for a fact ;) You seem to be fighting on every point with me here
It would probably happen with more offense on your side through pms. Especially with the thought that "this you-know-what pms to tell me how to post"
Know what I mean? ;)
But I don't know you personally so it's only an assumption. On another note I've never called you names or posted profanity, so I don't see how this applies to the argument. I don't see many people here that do

Quote:
I do agree that we should try to stay on topic as much as possible
If you agree with that then mission accomplished. Thank you for paying attention to the concerns. That's all I meant to bring up
And Mike it's all fine not being offended when someone posts offtopic comments in your threads, but they're still threads in the community- and if yours will go off topic, then the problem that we had up until now will persist
It's not about a personal preference- it's about having clean, healthy threads
And fine. I will always stay on topic on all of your threads, unless it goes off track and I have to beat someone up
:devil1:
Hopefully soon we can all put this behind
I'm all for a healthy balance-I just don't think that it's what we had up until now. And thank you Kiera for "coming in" ;)
Overall though, this is not a problem anymore
Thanks Mike. You've started this thread to see who cares and who doesn't whether topics go off track- people do care. Thanks for taking notice of that
Old 04-11-2005, 02:35 PM   #9
LonelyLullaby
Members

Quote:
Well in a thread like that, there is no such thing as 'off-topic'. Good idea actually. Could end up being our longest thread if enough people used it for idle conversation
On other forums, it's call the "Spam" thread ;)
Please don't start arguing about that- it's really not a personal opinion

Quote:
Actually, it isn't an off-topic forum. It is for non Jewel related topics. There's a difference
Honey not offtopic section as in taking the threads off-topic. Offtopic section to the forum. As in- to the subject of the forum (Jewel)
It's the same thing ;)
Offtopic section on a forum means that it's a section for general chat on other topics from what the forum is about

Quote:
Yep, that's my definition also.
Your definition is all fine- but it's not about personal definitions. It's about what comments like that are considered on message boards!
If you don't agree with the word though- choose another. The point wasn't the word

Quote:
I disagree, that is merely going off-topic.
Going off topic on message boards, is considered posting "spam"!
Overall we agree though- the word itself is not an issue
And Kiera don't do "anything about" Bobby. He's a sweetheart
He's got his charm ;) On occasion
I don't think he means this as offensively as you take it

Quote:
that was a quote he replied to the idea of what i said on what he posted of lisa marie presley....which that's what the thread was about in the first place..... SO BACK OFF ....it was too RELATED..... and if you don't believe that people can leave comments on it, then you aren't a real defender of freedom of speech.... and why do i seem to defend mike....bc i think the comment on spam was a little overboard - b/c it was on topic....(at least comments to the topic) it had something to do with lisa marie presley....and yes i've already read your million other posts, and it still isn't off topic by my terms, i guess some just can't understand just plain english and leave things alone - it is the abyss forum for goodness sake! (abyss = land of the unknown) now..... we can clearly move on.... i don't think i'm being immature, i'm just defending my rights.... i think someone's post on calling me a few names that shouldn't be mentioned in a public forum was immature and inappropriate...
It's all fine to reply to the idea that you posted. That doesn't mean that it wasn't off topic

Quote:
Psst. It was a joke.
Quote:
i know it was ^_^
Quote:
I now know that you know that I know. No? ;)
Quote:
If I said "Jewel is gorgeous" on a photos thread someone else would "so is her boyfriend" then someone would "you think?" "yes" "are you sure" "yes sure" "oh okay" "yep"
Looks the same?
Here's what I said next:

Quote:
This is spam. You can manipulate it and say that it's "related" somehow but really it's a conversation between two members unrelated to the subject
If the word "spam" offends you, find another. But the point is the same
And Mike please don't bring freedom of speech into this ;) Really
It's not about what being "off topic" means by your terms. It doesn't mean that it's not off-topic in fact. I'm talking about general definitions, not your personal ones
And I'm referring to the general result= thread losing the original meaning and going off track
If you want things to be left alone don't reply to them ;) If you give me something to reply to then chances are, I have my opinions that I would like to express. And I didn't call you any names. Don't take that to me
Overall- none of this is a problem anymore. We seem to have figured this out
Thank you
Old 04-11-2005, 04:51 PM   #10
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

COME ON PEOPLE WWJD?

I'll tell you what she'd say.

"We love spam in America" (America) :muhaha:
Old 04-11-2005, 04:56 PM   #11
MrCC
JKF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LonelyLullaby@Apr 11 2005, 06:33 AM

Because it agrees with you? ;)
No, because Kiera has always been fair as long as I can remember. Even when I don't agree with her she explains herself in a reasonable manner.

Quote:
No way am I letting a cheap shot go
Ditto.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:06 PM   #12
Little Bird
Administrator

Quote:

On other forums, it's call the "Spam" thread ;)
Please don't start arguing about that- it's really not a personal opinion
Well you're not on 'other forums' here. I have and still do moderate other forums and none of them have ever counted going 'off-topic' as spam. I don't know which ones you're talking about

Quote:

Honey not offtopic section as in taking the threads off-topic. Offtopic section to the forum. As in- to the subject of the forum (Jewel)
It's the same thing ;)
Offtopic section on a forum means that it's a section for general chat on other topics from what the forum is about
Don't 'honey' me. You can try that patronising stuff on someone else. And no, your definition of 'off-topic' is not the same as this message boards.

Quote:
And Kiera don't do "anything about" Bobby. He's a sweetheart
He's got his charm ;) On occasion
I don't think he means this as offensively as you take it
I will take your suggestion on board but the current situation stands. Sweetheart is certainly not the word I would use to describe him. Vulgar is more appropriate. If he doesn't realise he is being offensive, then he needs to be told. Now that he knows, he needs to quit being such a way. That applies to everyone not just him. He is just the only one who took it too far.

Quote:
Thank you
You're welcome.

In brief, I see this whole 'off-topic' vs 'spam' debate over, just like you do. I will add a more appropriate definition into the Guidelines so all may know for future reference.

Without these kinds of discussions, we would never get to iron out all the creases and I know this place isn't perfect but that is what we are stiving to do.

Take care
Kiera

MysteriousWisdom
Old 04-12-2005, 01:15 PM   #13
LonelyLullaby
Members

Quote:
No, because Kiera has always been fair as long as I can remember. Even when I don't agree with her she explains herself in a reasonable manner.
You don't think that I've explained myself in a reasonable manner?

Quote:
Well you're not on 'other forums' here. I have and still do moderate other forums and none of them have ever counted going 'off-topic' as spam. I don't know which ones you're talking about
Kiera I'm not giving you "other forums" as being exemplary, I'm just explaining my terms- so that each knows what the other talks about, and there are no misunderstandings. Let the word mean what you want it to

Quote:
Don't 'honey' me. You can try that patronising stuff on someone else. And no, your definition of 'off-topic' is not the same as this message boards.
I didn't mean "honey" as in "honey, you don't know what you're talking about" I meant honey as in "my sweetheart"
The opposite of how you think I meant it
I just really like you. Whenever I like someone I call them love, honey, dearest, sweetheart, or any appropriate word for a guy *insert word here*
I don't ever mean it a rude way
I didn't mean to be patronizing at all
And besides Kiera isn't "the definition of off-topic" on this message board just the administrator's opinion? ;) That doesn't mean that mine is wrong
I am just explaining terms

Quote:
I will take your suggestion on board but the current situation stands. Sweetheart is certainly not the word I would use to describe him. Vulgar is more appropriate. If he doesn't realize he is being offensive, then he needs to be told. Now that he knows, he needs to quit being such a way. That applies to everyone not just him. He is just the only one who took it too far.
I don't think he's vulgar, I think he's pretty mature for his age
And honestly I don't think he realizes that he's being offensive either, and sure you can tell him.. just don't threaten to ban him for that
I think that maybe in your terms many things that he might say now will be considered offensive because it's the opinion that you have set of him and you'll be watching out for this- you think that I'm being offensive as well when it's not the intention at all. I think maybe you misunderstand some intentions. I haven't seen him "take it too far" At all

But overall Kiera, thank you very much for a kind reply
Old 04-12-2005, 01:25 PM   #14
LonelyLullaby
Members

Quote:
Mom, he's touching me. ;)

It is a serious question. You're lucky you've got an uncommon name that never gets confused. Do you have any idea how many Mike's there are in the world? ( Some would say too many ;) ) I think people are talking to me by mistake often.
Well, if I've misunderstood you I'm sorry. I've quoted him, I didn't think I could be more obvious ;)

Quote:
That's default. I'll change that when I get a chance.
Kiera that's a great idea, that's why I couldn't make the other post yesterday, I had to divide it into three
On another note, why have you guys disrespected that thread this way?
After all of those posts you could've been more considerate. Thank you Kiera for taking it back on topic :wub:
Old 04-12-2005, 04:58 PM   #15
michaelsjewel
Member's

michaelsjewel Between 10 and 49 points

just don't overdo the limit....we don't want a full post full of smileys.... they do get overwhelming @ times!
Closed Thread