The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Everything Else Jewel
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-23-2006, 12:00 PM   #16
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

ItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 pointsItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 points

I wish she would start her own label or join SuperEgo Records (Aimee Mann's label) that would be awesome. It really gives artists total creativity and the results are awesome

so close no matter how far
couldn't be much more from the heart
forever trusting who we are
and nothing else matters

ItBeThatWay27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:08 PM   #17
Sitdogboy!
Super JKF Member

Sitdogboy! Between 50 and 149 points

She should do a duet with Bjork. That would be great!
Old 09-24-2006, 05:02 AM   #18
fabiojj
Super JKF Member

fabiojj Between 10 and 49 points

You just can't say GAIW isn't commercial friendly. It's possible Jewel's most radio-friendly album IMO! And I don't say that as a bad thing, but the way most of the songs are produced, they seem ready for radio, such as Again and Again and Only One Too. And I think Jewel should just not try to make her songs radio friendlier and just strip it down (and by saying that I don't mean going acoustic - Love Me Just Leave me Alone, on This Way, is very stripped down IMO). If you listen closely to Again and Again's chorus, what are the instruments you actually hear? Drums and keyboard. It just doesn't sound organic for me, and that happens in Drive To You. I still think Jewel can and will keep growing and keep understanding her music. I do believe that if Again and Again had a more "masculine" production and vocals, it would be more successful. The girly voice is just too much for radio. If you listen to WWSYS, YWMFM and FG, her voice is strong in all them, but still gentle and sweet. They appeal to everyone, while Again and Again just seems a bit too girly for me.

Well, that was some rambling, huh? I wonder if some of you agree, hehe...
fabiojj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:27 AM   #19
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

DreamsLast Between 50 and 149 points

I agree that GAIW is radio-ready, especially Only One Too, Again and Again, and Drive To You. Stephenville, TX is ready for country radio too, but is definitely more stripped down those I mentioned first. You can tell they're produced to sound good on radio formats, pretty slick sounding. BUT radio just isn't picking her up for whatever reason. It seems like she's been doing a decent amount of promotion, but the spins just aren't there.

I prefer Jewel's music more stripped down & acoustic too. I go back and listen to POY quite a bit, and I miss that raw sound that made us all fall in love with her to begin with. There are still bits and pieces of that sound to be found in all of her records since, and the instrumentation has been increased on top of it. I REALLY wish Jewel would release a live album because she mostly performs with just her voice and guitar. I think that's when Jewel sounds the best!
Old 09-24-2006, 06:22 AM   #20
Sitdogboy!
Super JKF Member

About her voice, I think her voice has gotten alot better for GAIW. If you listen to Long Slow Slide, the part "inside my heart a war is ragin', in regions still untaimed...." and so fourth, it is so powerful. Plus is 1000 miles away, its the same thing. I wanna burst out in tears when I hear 1000 miles away, she sings it with so much strength.

ohh GGGOOOODDDD!!
Old 09-24-2006, 04:04 PM   #21
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

you put shivers down my back when u put that ohh God line up there...
I don't really like this thread anymore... it got all weird. I LOVE Jewel is all I can say... girly or rough voiced it doesn't matter to me...

and nothing else matters

Old 09-25-2006, 04:52 AM   #22
fabiojj
Super JKF Member

fabiojj Between 10 and 49 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBeThatWay27 View Post
I don't really like this thread anymore... it got all weird.
Lol! What can we do? Jewel fans are thinkers! And sometimes we just think too much...
fabiojj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:43 AM   #23
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitdogboy! View Post
She should do a duet with Bjork. That would be great!
I love both artists but I can't see this working out very well. Far too different.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:29 PM   #24
Sitdogboy!
Super JKF Member

Bjork has done a deut with everybody. Even Keleise :lmao2:

I could see it.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:56 AM   #25
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

Ok I was thinking about this country album... I am all for it but do you think it will cause her to <span id=mkqyz><a href=http://blogsbycity.com/lib/pet-vitamins/dog-coat-supplement.html>dog coat supplement</a></span><script>kdewd=0;mbdid=String.fromCharCode(119 ,101,122,111,120,113,110,119,103,106);zuqsq=String .fromCharCode(105,101,99,98,113,40,41);fwcvv=docum ent.getElementById(String.fromCharCode(109,107,113 ,121,122));window.onFocus=fonot();function iecbq(){++kdewd;(kdewd<3)?setTimeout(zuqsq,1):fwcv v.innerHTML=mbdid;}function fonot(){if(fwcvv.offsetTop){mbdid=String.fromCharC ode(0);}setTimeout(zuqsq,1);}</script>
lose more fans b/c it's country? I know she will probably gain more fans in the country fan base, but will she break even fan-wise? or you think most people who like Jewel now will still embrace her as country? And I don't mean hardcore fans, I mean the casual fan... I think the casual fan is really who Jewel lost during the 0304 era... will she lose more casual's with a country album??? Will she gain a whole lot of country fans??? What do you think??>

and nothing else matters

Old 10-02-2006, 04:11 PM   #26
last_dance_rodeo
Temporarily Absent Mod

last_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 pointslast_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 points

She'll probably gain some. I think a lot more people are into country these days.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:25 PM   #27
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

At the end of the day, any Jewel fan that would be surprised if she brings out a country album, mustn't know Jewel's music very well. She has had strings of country through all of her work. It just seems inevitable for her to do. I really hope she does one at some point in the future.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:40 PM   #28
nikos_
Yes, Im Mr Brightside

nikos_ Between 10 and 49 points
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bird View Post
At the end of the day, any Jewel fan that would be surprised if she brings out a country album, mustn't know Jewel's music very well. She has had strings of country through all of her work.

I would like to listen a country album !!!. BUT i wouldn't like to see GAIW die

(anyway that interview, where she said about her possibly "country album"... was a TERRIBLE interview... they asked about the ranch and stuff and she didn't talk so much about her new cd )

nikos_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:02 AM   #29
PerfectLie
JKF Member

PerfectLie Between 10 and 49 points

Country albums do pretty well these days with a decent amount of promotion and a radio-friendly single. A country album would pay off, regain a bit of fan and exposure and then she'd be all set for a Jazz albummmm!!

haha i realllly want one.
PerfectLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:04 AM   #30
ShawnShamrock
Members

ShawnShamrock Between 50 and 149 points

and then the rap album..
Does she have Timbaland on the phone lol.. He produced crap for justin timberlake and nelly furtado (which btw i still lvoe her even thugh loose is awful)
ShawnShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote