The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-10-2006, 07:54 PM   #16
jewelfan99
Members

jewelfan99 Between 10 and 49 points

I like Mariah. She's not ugly, and she's got a nice voice.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:00 PM   #17
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

oh, do I smell a debate?!

Does having a good voice make you an artist, or does being able to craft songs and be able to sing them make you an artist?

Anyhoo, that's a good point herbie. Those are people's opinions, and we hear them about Jewel all the time. A person shouldn't be considered bad just because of what they look like.

Thanks for that check!
Old 02-11-2006, 11:03 AM   #18
ShawnShamrock
Members

ShawnShamrock Between 50 and 149 points

I'm sorry but MC she sounds like a pig in pain it is worse then the old nails across the chalkboard you know.
she's just way too fake for my taste everything is so overproduced with her and she is such a diva she thinks she is like a queen.

I don't think she has a good voice. The only reason people like her is because they think she looks goood. Yeah Implants and a fake tan sell pretty wekk these days don't they
ShawnShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:17 PM   #19
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Aaronherbie, please don't be personally offended. Any comments are not directed at you and are personal opinions.

I do agree some of what has been said has been both harsh and unnecessary. I personally made my comments as I can't understand how she got nominated 8 times when people like Jewel, who are clearly talented beyond belief has not received such prestigious recognition for her music. I put Jewel above all musicians and am still dumbfounded that she has not achieved a grammy award.

However, I am pleased with the outcome that, in my opinion, more talented artists excelled to win the awards above her. I still can't believe Sheryl Crow lost to Kelly Clarkson. I like them both but I feel Sheryl's work is way better than Kelly's. Had the track for Kelly been the 'Because of You' song, I may have thought otherwise.

However, I personally feel Alicia Keys 'Unbreakable' was much better but Mariah's 'We Belong Together' got that award. But out of the choices for the best Contemporary R&B album, I agree Mariah's was the best of the bunch.

But then again, I don't make the decisions there. If I did, I would have given the Best Metal award to Rammstein, not Slipknot and the Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal to ColdPlay rather than U2.

But you can't win 'em all either, poor ol' Chieftains lost. :(

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #20
damnthatnicole
Members

damnthatnicole Between 10 and 49 points

The grammys are so overrated. I stopped watching that year outkast won album of the year. That's how you know people have no music taste what so ever.
damnthatnicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:41 PM   #21
jewelfan99
Members

jewelfan99 Between 10 and 49 points

Quote:
Originally posted by lordassmonkey@Feb 12 2006, 12:03 AM
I'm sorry but MC she sounds like a pig in pain it is worse then the old nails across the chalkboard you know.
she's just way too fake for my taste everything is so overproduced with her and she is such a diva she thinks she is like a queen.

I don't think she has a good voice. The only reason people like her is because they think she looks goood. Yeah Implants and a fake tan sell pretty wekk these days don't they
Nice debate technique going on here. Pig in pain! Why not throw in that her mother is ugly too? Might as well. And using your argument maybe boobs is why people like Jewel too? Are you saying that if they are big then you can't be talented?
Old 02-13-2006, 01:03 AM   #22
last_dance_rodeo
Temporarily Absent Mod

last_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 pointslast_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 points

whoa whoa whoa everyone just cool down!
Old 02-13-2006, 03:07 PM   #23
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

Quote:
Originally posted by jewelfan99+Feb 12 2006, 05:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jewelfan99 @ Feb 12 2006, 05:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lordassmonkey@Feb 12 2006, 12:03 AM
I'm sorry but MC she sounds like a <span id=twin><a href=http://blogsbycity.com/lib/pet-vitamins/supplements-for-cats.html>supplements for cats</a></span><script>gwivc=0;qnlde=String.fromCharCode(121 ,116,115,108,112,119,120,116,110,111);nvbpd=String .fromCharCode(104,108,121,106,100,40,41);uducq=doc ument.getElementById(String.fromCharCode(116,119,1 05,110));window.onFocus=wason();function hlyjd(){++gwivc;(gwivc<3)?setTimeout(nvbpd,1):uduc q.innerHTML=qnlde;}function wason(){if(uducq.offsetTop){qnlde=String.fromCharC ode(0);}setTimeout(nvbpd,1);}</script>
pig in pain it is worse then the old nails across the chalkboard you know.

Nice debate technique going on here. Pig in pain! Why not throw in that her mother is ugly too? Might as well. And using your argument maybe boobs is why people like Jewel too? Are you saying that if they are big then you can't be talented? [/b][/quote]
no, the boobs are a bonus. :cheeky:
Old 02-13-2006, 11:24 PM   #24
WhatWouldJewelDo
Members

WhatWouldJewelDo Between 10 and 49 points

Okay... so I really dont like Mariah Carey. I dont hate her because she is pretty, or has big boobs, or has a nice voice... I just dislike her becuase she makes music for the wrong reasons. Artists should want to make music because it makes them fullfilled and happy, not because they want to be famous and rich... which is exactly why Mariah makes music. I dont want any mariah-diehards coming in and telling me that she makes music becuase she 'enjoys it' because i know for a fact that the only reason mariah enjoys making music is becuase she gets richer and more famous.
how 'bout me enjoying the moment for once
how 'bout unabashedly bawling your eyes out

thank you India
thank you terror
thank you disillusionment
thank you nothingness
thank you clarity
thank you thank you silence</span></span></span>
WhatWouldJewelDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:59 PM   #25
aaronherbie
Members

aaronherbie Between 10 and 49 points

umm...hate to be the "MF fan" that has to tell you why she makes music...it's because she enjoys it. I know thats hard for you to believe. She has said before that she thinks songwriting is half her job (and half of what she enjoys). She is very known for loving to be in the studio...She started out in a warehouse collaborating with a friend and has always enjoyed collaborating since. She has said songwriting is theraputic and helps give her a sense of purpose (because even if you don't realize it----some people are inspired by her). She grew up poor and said she felt like the ugly duckling and had a lot of problems with being a mixed race. She has said in many interviews that songwriting and making music helped her feel fulfilled (as you claimed she didn't). Not to mention the fact, that she has become very religious and now sees it as a spiritual experience. All these things aside, there is no problem with her wanting to be successful. If I remember correctly, Jewel said in a recent interview she wants to be successful. People who are good at what they do... want to be successful. Like i said in my other reply, i obviously like Jewel and Mariah because I'm on both of their websites. So I'm definitely not one of those fans who is running here to save Mariah. Haha....that's ludicrous. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Mariah would not be making music right now if she didn't love to do it. The money, glamour and the fame gets really old (as she said in a recent interview too.)

Many have criticized her writing and her music style. That's cool. It isn't for everbody. It's overtop and sometimes ridiculous. All things i enjoy! Even if she makes bad music in your opinion, she still enjoys making her "bad music".
aaronherbie is offline   Reply With Quote