The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Everything Else Jewel
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-27-2005, 05:19 PM   #16
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Charmin !

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:29 PM   #17
Angel Jo
JKF Member

Angel Jo Between 10 and 49 points

I first heard Jewel in January 1996. I was in San Diego and she was on the local station. Her voice immediately captured my heart...her voice was/is so angelic. I bought Pieces of you...and fell in love with every song. She has been my favorite ever since. I own every album and then some.

My sister and I were at both nights of the Live at Humphrey's concert...and are lucky enough to be on the DVD in several shots. That was the BEST concert!

My daughter and I had the pleasure of meeting her in March of 04. She was so gracious, shy, sweet and tiny! (at least at my height she seemed tiny hehe)

She will always no matter what new artist that comes up, be my all time favorite. I am waiting with great anticipation of her next CD....without a doubt it will be great no matter what she has on it. It is Jewel after all!!
Old 10-27-2005, 09:21 PM   #18
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

Well at first I was only a 6 or 7 out of 10 fan. It all started when I heard WWSYS on the radio I was 10, it was just a couple of weeks before I turned 11. It was that song alone that peaked my interest and then I saw the new cd in a bin this is 95' at the grocery store when I went with my mom and she bought it for me. So I got the POY album shortly after it was released. I played that CD to death, the songs were so simple, I learned Foolish Games on the piano, I'm not actually all that in love with YWMFM but I still liked the CD. I didn't get into Hands because they over played it on the radio, but then I heard Down So Long this is late in 1999, I got that album, I liked that a lot. By the time This Way was about to come out I had already pre-ordered it. It wasn't until 2002 when I first saw her in concert that I went from a 6 or 7 to a twenty. Then I went all out downloading rare bootlegs and collecting rare CD's such as STL and Bits n' Baubles. Then in 2003 I went to the Intuition fest in Central Park NY, it is to this day the best concert I have ever been too, all the 0304 songs sounded so rocky, T-bone was still there so it was all good. Then I met her in 2004 so by this time I was a die-hard fan... she'd have to do something very drastic to change my attitude towards her, she's just so sweet, and short. :P
Old 10-28-2005, 06:25 PM   #19
R*Philippines
I jewel everyday.

R*Philippines Between 50 and 149 pointsR*Philippines Between 50 and 149 points

Hi Dave!!! :urok:
I wanted to reply on this topic with undivided time, it's the reason why it took some time for me to add my story.

(This is a long story, be patient on reading it)
Back in 1996, i was still on my first year college, the Philippines was busy listening to grunge music, NIRVANA et al.... I was hook with a song called "RUNAWAY TRAIN" by Soul Asylum (I still listen to it once in a while). It was also then that i started collecting records (cassette tapes in particular) as you know, I am living in a third world country, so things which are in with you comes later with us.
That same year, I remember this saleslady from Tower Records recommending me this "Pieces of You' tape (the first ever released), it has Grammy Nominee sticker on the cover which was of course impressive, so i got it, i listened to it, once, twice, but that was it. Years had past, Spirit came, i didn't buy a copy though it had a big promotion over here, Jewel became MTV-ASIA Artist of the Month (May 1999), but i wasn't paying much attention of JEWEL yet.
Not untill i had listened to "WWSYS" (vh1-storyteller-live version). You know that VH1-Storyteller compillation album.Wow! that version blew me away. I found myself hook on that song, i played it a billion times, and told my friends about that song
It was around year 2000, when Jewel took a break I began to fall in love with her music. So then, i took away POY album from my collection and put it in a very special place, then i started collecting Jewel stuff. The happiest and most rewarded was when i got "A LIFE UNCOMMON-DVD", i didn't attend my classes for a week and locked myself in my room, bought everything i needed, food, water and everything, for 1 week i was watching that DVD, every second, i never got tired of watching it and not still up to this moment.... Now, JEWEL has become a big part of my life. For me "SHE'S THE GREATEST", "THE BEST", and my LIFE will never be complete without her music. I have all her 5 CD's, 5 DVD's, and more unreleased stuff.
But i've never seen her performing live. She hasn't been in our country but I'm still hoping she will visit the Philippines soon.
To all the co-members, you know your stories of watching her live, of seeing Jewel in person, makes me smile...It makes me happy as if I was also there. But, what makes me more special is that knowing I'm not the only person in the world who believes that this GREAT ARTIST MUSIC deserves to be heard by the rest of the world.

Stay COOL !!!
RY
R*Philippines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:57 PM   #20
Sasafrass452
The Cheese Queen

Sasafrass452 Between 10 and 49 points

I first heard Jewel in 1996 when I was visiting my brother in PA, & I saw the video for WWSYS. I was an instant fan :D
Old 10-29-2005, 12:31 AM   #21
batsocks
Members

Location: in a shoebox under the stairs with all my grandmas jet buttons
batsocks Between 10 and 49 points

[color=purple]well i first got into Jewel when my friend intrduced me to her. She was a big Hanson fan at the time and they mentioned her.. later she appeared on mtv playing angel standing by and ywmfm.. i watched... got hooked..had to buy records..infact i remember going into Virgin megastore in Oxford whilst staying at my Grandad`s and buying an import POY i was so chuffed with it.. and i`ve been searching for more stuff ever since. i have tons of cd`s books etc i just love to finally get my hands on something coz her stuff is a bit thin on the ground over here... still despearate to see her live
Old 10-29-2005, 12:54 PM   #22
LonelyLullaby
Members

LonelyLullaby Between 10 and 49 points

I don't remember how I got introduced actually. I think I just saw her Foolish Games video a long time ago on TV and I knew You Were Meant For Me but I wasn't a fan for a while until something shifted.. I think I downloaded the video for foolish games and decided to check out the album and got Pieces Of You. I don't know how can you hear songs like Who Will Save Your soul and Daddy and not be a fan :)
Honestly I was a little disappointed with Spirit though.. her first album seemed much more raw and real.. this one a little more poppy
LonelyLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:43 PM   #23
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

I totally feel the same way about Spirit... I thought it was rather dry, except for Jupiter, Down So Long, Deep Water, and Barcelona... the rest of the songs just seemed a little to lecturesque.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:43 PM   #24
Veilingmeat
Veiling yet very Meaty

Veilingmeat Between 150 and 249 pointsVeilingmeat Between 150 and 249 points

Hmmm, being i'm a bit more of a dark metal fan more than anything else...i must say though one night i chipped round me chums and they had MTV on in the background, and while they were doing what they were doing i could'nt turn my eye away from this lush blonde singing 'Angel Standing By' live on some MTV awards thingy...it was Jewel and her angelic voice did it for me, so from that moment on i was hooked...within the next few days i just had to go out and get me a copy of that 'Peices Of You' album....and the rest they say is history!
Anything musicaly of Jewel i do me best to get me grubby hands on it :P but on a scale of 1 - 10 i suppose i'd rate meself a 5 or a 6 maybe i do own all her albums except 0304 :rolleyes:
inspire thou in me something yet more,
present further perversions to my smoking heart,
and then shalt thou see how I shall plunge myself into them all!

-Marquis De Sade-
Veilingmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:23 PM   #25
LonelyLullaby
Members

LonelyLullaby Between 10 and 49 points

The same here Kyle :) I mean regarding the songs that stand out. Especially Barcelona
LonelyLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:48 PM   #26
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

I don't remember which song got me first- Who Will Save Your Soul, or You Were Meant For Me, but I do remember I liked that she was different, natural, not all glammed up
I really like her poetry
but, I have to admit I like Intuition as well, though my first reaction to her more glammed up image was "Yikes!"
so, even though I don't have much Jewel stuff, I do like her

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote