The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
Webbed
JKF Member

Webbed Between 150 and 249 pointsWebbed Between 150 and 249 points
Default Anyone been to India?

Everyone,

I'm looking into going to India on my next vacation, and I need help!

I know this sounds like stereotyping, but India to me is a country of stark contrasts. The beautiful Taj Mahal in Agra and the forts in Jaipur is on the one end, and widespread poverty on the other. I have friends from India who tell me how beautiful it is, but how I need to be careful on the streets and how I need to use bottled water for everything.

Any suggestions?
Webbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

I had an opportunity to go there for business before I finished working a few months back. I've always wanted to go there but the area where I was being sent, wasn't a great area. One of my colleagues went in my place when I left the company and she said it was terrible where she went as it was a very poor area and very little see and even less to do. That was Bangalore.
However while she was over there, she used the opportunity to go to Delhi and loved it. It was also recommended to her to go to Nepal though she didn't get time to go but she loved Delhi.
Personally, I'd love to travel along the Himalayan regions which include Nepal and other areas of India. I'd also like to go to Mumbai but I would worry about safety there after the terrorism that has taken place there recently.
Overall, I think it's the same for every country when it comes to personal safety of your belongings. Tourists are targetted all over the world and so I'd say keep doing whatever you've been doing all these years travelling to ensure you and your family is safe and Lonely Planet books are great too. I find these are the best guide books and very honest about how to keep out of trouble.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
Webbed
JKF Member

Thanks for the input. What scares me a little is what you're describing. Yet, I am excited to go there because I hear about the beauty that lies in its history. I'll let you all know when I am back... hopefully with great positive stories.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

My intention wasn't to scare you. I apologise for that. There's danger in every place in the world and we can't wrap ourselves up in bubble wrap to prevent ourselves from getting hurt. India is a truly beautiful country. A friend of mine just got back from Delhi last week. She went with her father who is 82 years old and they both had a great time and are looking forward to going back there at some stage next year.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Webbed
JKF Member

No, you didn't scare me. I've been given some warnings and suggestions from my Indian friends. If they tell you that they don't drink the water, then I'm not drinking it either.

I'll be staying at high end hotels (my only way to travel), and I will be arranging my tours and travels from there. So it might cost me more, but my chances of being safe will be greater (or so I think).

I'm counting the days until I go.... I'll once again post my photos!