The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-20-2005, 12:15 PM   #1
bluediamond
Administrator

bluediamond Between 150 and 249 pointsbluediamond Between 150 and 249 points

Hi everyone

For about 20 years ive been shortsighted, ive been a contact lens wearer for about the same time, but to be honest im getting pissed off not being able to swim on holiday without fear of loosing a lens etc. B)

Im have just booked a consultation at my nearest clinic where they do the laser treatment. What id like to know is if anyone has themselves or knows of anyone that has had laser eye treatment. Does it hurt?, was it sucessful etc etc?

Im not scared, and to be honest im going to do it anyway, but im just curious. :blink:

Hope a few of you can help, thanks in advance.

:lalala:
Dave
bluediamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:56 PM   #2
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

My cousin had it done. He claimed there was a slight discomfort for about an hour afterward but not pain. He has never looked back. He was quite badly short sighted since he was a child. He had the procedure done 7 years ago, he's 31 now and still going fine without needing glasses.

I am long sighted myself which means I need reading glasses for books and the computer. It's not bad though. I can survive without them so I would probably never need that kind of surgery.

Best of Luck though!!!

kiera

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:14 PM   #3
LonelyLullaby
Members

LonelyLullaby Between 10 and 49 points

Dave honestly I wish you the very best of luck with it, and I heard that the results are great- but that the eye-sight goes back eventually to how it was pre-surgery.. judge for yourself, it's a very expensive procedure
LonelyLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
bluediamond
Administrator

Im going to pay about ?1000 per eye, not sure what that is in $ but i know ive spent proberbly twice that already in contact lenses (monthly) and solutions etc.

I wouldn't mind so much paying for something for vanity lol, but as it may mean that i can see clearly for the next 20yrs or so that will be enough for me. After that i will be 60 and then i wont care :wacko:

Dave.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:21 PM   #5
MrCC
JKF Member

MrCC Between 10 and 49 points

Quote:
Originally posted by bluediamond@Jun 20 2005, 06:36 AM
Im going to pay about ?1000 per eye, not sure what that is in $ but i know ive spent proberbly twice that already in contact lenses (monthly) and solutions etc.

I wouldn't mind so much paying for something for vanity lol, but as it may mean that i can see clearly for the next 20yrs or so that will be enough for me. After that i will be 60 and then i wont care :wacko:

Dave.
That sounds like too much money. I see commercials for Lasic surgery "starting at" $395 per eye.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:52 PM   #6
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

i want to see a picture of dave with glasses on! i didnt know you couldnt see either! :P i know that whenever i can afford to, i plan to have my eyes corrected, i am tired of glasses, been wearing them since the 3rd grade!

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:22 PM   #7
Craig
Members

Craig Between 10 and 49 points

A friend of mine did it about 5 years back. They paid a few thousand dollars for it. They had to wear bifocals prior to that. They are very happy with the results. I watched the whole thing from a TV in the waiting room. It was fascinating. But slightly discomforting to watch. He did not speak of pain after. Some light sensitivity. Now also keep in mind, Jessica Simpson did it on an episode of her TV show Newlyweds and she went right to some restaurant after.
So don't be worried about pain. You have to wear those dark, wrap around glasses. I would say investigate the surgeon most importantly. How many times have they performed the surgery? That is paramount. What has the success rate been with their patients?
The only person I know who has done it went to a reputable surgeon and they have been really pleased with the results.
Craig B) (dark post surgery wrap around shades)
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:29 AM   #8
Angel_Eyes
Members

Angel_Eyes Between 10 and 49 points

I've had surgery on my eyes, but it was for a different reason and wasn't laser surgery. I did have to have a type of laser surgery done in the doctor's office after the six weeks though, because a white film started forming over my lens, but he said that was normal. If you're wondering, by the way, it was for cataracts and I was about 10... (still) the youngest patient the doctor performed that type of surgery on. I don't think this is exactly what you're curious about, but hey, they're both done on the same body part. :P Which reminds me, I'm most likely gonna have to have a cornea transplant for my right eye in the near future... for another reason. But, again, that's different. This probably makes my username seem odd, doesn't it.

Oh well, good luck with it, regardless of this seemingly pointless post. :)

"I am a princess and I'm locked inside a stone tower of song.
Trying to write messages on the wind trying to send the message how I just want to belong.
"
Jewel - Choose Me/Where You Are
Angel_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:14 AM   #9
bluediamond
Administrator

Thank you to everyone thats posted about the eye surgery. That opens up a whole new debate:

If you could have just one thing that you could change about yourself, what would it be?

For me most definatly it would be a height extention lol, im only 5" 4 not sure what that is in metric but its about the size of tom cruise :blink:

Other than that, my eyes are important to me.

:lalala:
Dave
Old 06-21-2005, 08:56 AM   #10
michaelsjewel
Member's

michaelsjewel Between 10 and 49 points

i'm 6ft.....

also it's weird how u guys call....the eye problem longsided or whatever that is -

nearsited and farsighted is what i'm used to...hey...we got some new slangs per culture talk again!

i'm nearsited and i wear glasses....i have astigmatism which yah - blows chunks! - i tried contacts and they couldn't get the astigmatism right in my left eye - so here when they did it i could see really really far - but yet not my hands in front of my face
he was like...u can see 20 20...but i was like...i cannot see my hands damnit and it's just ...wrong

the right eye was fine and i could barely even feel it - as for the left - gawd i hate the left (is right handed) lol

i remember hearing that lazik was 4000 per eye (in US dollars) - though i'm guessing times have changed - just make sure u choose someone that's a pure professional - u don't trust something as wonderful as your eyes to just anyone! - i'm a bit skeptical about it - i think i'll wait a few more years before i even dare consider it as i don't want to go blind if they screw up!

but anyways - goodnite
michaelsjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:14 PM   #11
LonelyLullaby
Members

LonelyLullaby Between 10 and 49 points

Quote:

Dave.
Here I heard that the surgery is a couple thousands of $
Either two or three thousands
And yeah ;) I think overall it's worth it as well, even if eventually it goes back to how it was before
At least for a while you get to experience life without contacts!
LonelyLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 04:48 PM   #12
Veilingmeat
Veiling yet very Meaty

Veilingmeat Between 150 and 249 pointsVeilingmeat Between 150 and 249 points

Ay,Dave...i was gonna ask how much it would cost ,until i read on and found out it was ?1000 per eye :blink: HARSH! that's britains equivalent of (R.R.P)...rip off retail price lol :P i guess!!!
mind you,would love to have that corrective eye surgery it would do me wonders (if i could afford it),coz im as short sighted as a mole meself and have been since i started high school...now im 30 so thats a long time :( and i understand totally what you mean about not being able to go swimming,or from outside on a cold winters night into a warm pub full of people and yer glasses steam up :angry: lol and all the contact lens trouble also etc.

Anyhowz m8 hope all goes well would love to know how things go coz i personaly have never heard any 'end results' of this type of surgery...and as iv said would'nt mind it meself later in life!

*Veilingmeat does NOT intend bluediamond to become his guinea pig for 'corrective eye surgery' results* :P ;)
:luck:
inspire thou in me something yet more,
present further perversions to my smoking heart,
and then shalt thou see how I shall plunge myself into them all!

-Marquis De Sade-
Veilingmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:38 AM   #13
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

Quote:
im as short sighted as a mole meself and have been since i started high school...now im 30 so thats a long time and i understand totally what you mean about not being able to go swimming,or from outside on a cold winters night into a warm pub full of people and yer glasses steam up lol and all the contact lens trouble also etc.
man, i totally know what you mean! i hate when my darn glasses fog up, it makes me feel so nerdy to have to stop and wipe off my glasses all the time :P

the worst fog up time was when i worked at the base stables, and we were rounding up all the ponies (who escaped from their pen) with the truck, in the pouring rain, imagine barreling through the fields driving half blind trying to re-corral a bunch of shetlands...anywhooo, guess you had to be there to appreciate the true humor of it

what i would change about me...my eyesight, and reverse my leg injuries so i wouldnt have such gimpy feet

and dave, my husband is also 5'4", and i like to torment him with the fact that i am taller than him-lol

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:42 PM   #14
Veilingmeat
Veiling yet very Meaty

Veilingmeat Between 150 and 249 pointsVeilingmeat Between 150 and 249 points

lol Eibhlin :P the rains a sod eh! we suffer alike!

I was going to say in my last post about problems with glasses...although its off topic kinda,considering daves eye surgery etc
but errrm...the other thing i hate is during *ahem* the physical act of love B)
...lets errr not go into details

Then again i cant see anything to explain what it is... ;)

:bunnyjump: :bunnyjump:
inspire thou in me something yet more,
present further perversions to my smoking heart,
and then shalt thou see how I shall plunge myself into them all!

-Marquis De Sade-
Veilingmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:29 AM   #15
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Quote:
Originally posted by Veilingmeat@Jun 22 2005, 09:42 PM
I was going to say in my last post about problems with glasses...although its off topic kinda,considering daves eye surgery etc
but errrm...the other thing i hate is during *ahem* the physical act of love B)
...lets errr not go into details
Well I am sure this is the true motivation behind Dave's wanting to get the surgery! :lol:

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote