The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Everything Else Jewel
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
R*Philippines
I jewel everyday.

R*Philippines Between 50 and 149 pointsR*Philippines Between 50 and 149 points
Default greenpoet's Review all the tracks of the CD "LULLABY"

I'd like to share this review from our very own greenpoet.
Also posted on Jewe Message Board.

Quote:
1.RAVEN
I first heard, “RAVEN” song when it was shared to me by a friend of mine who collects Jewel music. It was recorded in one of her shows at Grand Rapids, M.I. in 1996 where the crowd was rowdy and boisterous and they shouted-out “Yodel!!! “ “CHIME BELLS” to Jewel coz’ they all wanted her to do yodel. But Jewel tenaciously continued to strum the guitar on the chords of RAVEN despite the clamor of the crowd for her to do yodel. And she replied : “I will sing this song then I’ll yodel”, Maybe she just wanted to hush the said crowd. When I heard this song, I was quite intrigued what this song can do, hushing down this rowdy crowd and she succeeded until the last line of the song. From then on, I always thought this song called “Raven” is special.
And finally, I get to hear the finest of this version “RAVEN” minus the noise of rowdy crowd ,and its all in this Lullaby Album with Jewel’s beautiful voice and her guitar. It’s like settling me to relax and listen to it in all its simplicity and clarity.
Since the song, Raven is the 1st song in the roster in this album, as for me, it’s a precognizant to something that will lead me to subtlety but with much elegance in her taste and its musical arrangement and the perfect drops of her crystal clear sound of her voice accompanied by her fervent companion, a guitar.
I tried not to fall asleep nor even dared to snooze though it was tempting coz’ she succeeded in hushing my mind coz’ her voice is soft and comforting and so beautifully rendered until the last line and the last strum of her fingers on guitar strings. It’s so sweet to my ears and I’m compelled to listen intently. Indeed, this song is so special!

2. ALL THE ANIMALS
ALL THE ANIMALS song is my first time to hear in this album. I am glad that it has found a home in this Lullaby Album.
Whenever I hear a song for the first time, I automatically listen to the lyrics of the songs and the message it gives me and then the melody it brings to my head. Its like a love team, the chemistry that brings to one’s system as the lyrics belongs to the melody.
In my view, the song is about an infatuation with someone but it seems her object of desire does not even know or notice all the tale-tell signs of it all. If I were not given a background, I could guess that the composer of the song is quite young and sensitive. But given that by Allan,it was a song composed by Jewel when she was in her younger days.
Jewel’s voice here were in higher keys on all the verses and then made lower pitch on the bridge that created a drop of mood and then rises again in the last verse giving a listener a reflective pause. I can say Jewel's voice effect is so soft in the ears.
On the other hand, I can also see a different perspective in the eye of a child, as my imagination pulled me to a different world of a story of the Ark Of Noah. When all the animals in the forest came in pairs just like the bible story I read when I was a child. I can imagine them all in my picture book in my mind. I don’t know but the music has that picture effect on me.

3. SWEET DREAMS FOR YOU
This is my favorite song in the album. After reading the lyrics of the song posted by MrBB, I already like it right away. The writing style, the counted syllables per line and its four liners per paragraph. I wondered before I heard the song, how waltz it could be.
When the time came, I heard the song, it has surpasses all my expectations and totally I fell in love with the song. Every element in the song, made me feel I am falling into a dream state. How could one capture the essence of a real sweet dreams and then translate it into a song, as for me it’s the most amazing work of Jewel –a masterpiece for that matter.
The mandolin’s tremolo gives a song a feel of an old classic waltz song, though it a brand new song on the list. I can hear also a low pitch member of the string instrument, maybe that was the cello on the background , it sounds so exquisite and of course the voice of Jewel is the sweetest of all and incomparable to anyone.
I could not resist the song, but truly...this is superb. Good job, Jewel.

4.TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE STAR
This song has been sung since 1809. Any child and adult knows this song. Of course, as Jewel is Jewel , this song won’t sound ordinary when she sings this. Truly, Jewel’s rendition of this song is definitely sonorous and pleasing to the ears. As if there is a magic pixie dust floating in the air as Jewel sings this song with her guitar.
Without any doubt. any child and adult will be smitten by this version of hers. This song is very therapeutic.

5. CIRCLE SONG
It has a feel of an irish musical style. Lyrically soothing sound and slow moving. The lyrics is so beautiful and its so sweet to say that to a person. The love is compared with forces of nature as it is innate for her to love the person who is being loved. The harmony is so simple. I love the melody that she put in the bridge after the 4th verse :
“So come closer, my love, to me
You are closer than you can ever see
You live in my heart
That’s where you'll always be”
This song for me is not only good for lullaby but gospel song as well. Truly, Jewel is very prolific even then as this song was composed by her in her early 20’s. My words are not enough to express how beautiful the words she put in every verses, it struck my heart like an arrow. Jewel is very effective as a singer on all types of songs. She really put her heart into it.

6. COWBOY’S LAMENT
Beautiful rendition of the song. Even her style of yodel in this version is like a lament, a cry because of a deep yearning for someone who had gone so long. A sweet serenade for someone too. It sounds so country with no effort at all. It's good Jewel was able to include this song in her Lullaby Album. Maybe she was thinking also of the country folks who would love this as a lullaby song. I'm loving it as well every time I hear this song.

7. DAY DREAM LAND
This is a lovely song as this song is vintage. Jewel is very thoughtful to include this composition of her Aunt Mossy, one of the songs that rooted their musicality as family. Thanks Mr BB for the background you have posted. It good to pay attention also with the musical influences that made Jewel for who she is now.

8. SOV GOTT
There is no need to understand the words being used here but it sounds so good. Jewel has proven that music can break the barrier of language which can appreciated and understood even the language is different from the listeners.
This songs is so gentle that it lulls me to sleep. Whenever I hear this song I feel there is a distant love that is felt but at the same time, it echoes inside me.

9 DREAMER
This song can be a good material for radio sound. The lyrics is very poignant , that compels one to listen to the music especially when it comes to the chorus part.

10. FOREVER AND A DAY
This one is also my favorite song in the album. This is a beautiful love song. I can feel the passion of one has for someone as it personifies the love story of Dali to his wife Gala until forever and a day. Maybe, Jewel must have read their love story that she really got so inspired. And I tell you, the song justifies what one feels for someone even love has nothing to expect in return. This song is so classic that it can be a sound track of an endless love story.
Its been awhile since I heard a song that makes me cry. Jewel, you make me cry in this song. This is a very effective love song, it moved me the first time I heard it. Good job as always,Jewel!

11. GLORIA
Refinement is the word best describe the soprano voice of Jewel. It exceeds far better than her previous recording and approached of this particular song. What better word to describe more than refinement is par excellence!
No one can do it better than Jewel for her voice is soft as a cloud and as high as heaven is on earth. Need no words to say the least.

12. SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW
Alice in Wonderland of our Hearts , that’s Jewel for sure. Great song for a great singer. I like the approached of Jewel than the usual whenever she sings this particular song, because her voice is more controlled. I am so happy that she included this song in this album. Even with sparse musical instrumentation, the song is particularly and meticulously beautiful to hear because of her voice.

13. ANGEL STANDING BY
This song is an angels’ gift to mankind. The sound of Jewel’s singing voice is ethereal which can be perceived as a real angel’s voice. The lyrics of the songs seems to have its own wings. This song seems to be a window into the world beyond the veils that barely separate us from the divine. This song touches my innermost nature as if with magic wand, awakening all my brightest hopes and washing clean my very soul.
Angels speaks well in fine poetry, stories and music. They speak in many layers of mystery. I am happy that our Jewel can speak and perceive and can really express even what is inexpressible. Truly, Jewel is gifted.

14. SIMPLE GIFTS and
15. BRAHMS LULLABY
These vintage songs are good songs that one can be revived time and time again. Because these song are so beautiful to recall and to sing it again especially revived by Jewel.
A classical beautiful music can really surpass time. These songs in particular are perfect lullaby songs that has been cradling thousands of babies through the years in their mothers’ arms.
I hope and pray that Jewel will sing all these songs to her own baby. May my wish be true as I blow my kisses of love to the wind..
And how happy are we to be the first ones to hear these lovely lullaby songs. Let’s spread the word !!!

Stay COOL !!!
RY
R*Philippines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
greenpoet
Amused by the Muse

greenpoet Between 0 and 10 points

Thank you, Roy. You are such a Jewel-Asset. Because of you, my heart has been singing and listening to Jewel-music.

I can summarize my review on the "Lullaby" Album of Jewel, in two words.

Definitely SOPORIFIC!!!
Then with you, I will always be."
greenpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Sitdogboy!
Super JKF Member

Sitdogboy! Between 50 and 149 points

Joke time! Why did previous Jewel CD's sell more than LULLABY? Because Lullaby is a Dulla buy. Like, Duller bye... lol, thats stupid :P

No, I really love Lullaby, actually. Though I need to know, is it called "Sweet Dreams" or "Sweet Dreams For You"? On the back of the CD it says "Sweet Dreams" but when it automaticlly named itself for my iPod, it added the "...For You" part.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitdogboy! View Post
Joke time! Why did previous Jewel CD's sell more than LULLABY? Because Lullaby is a Dulla buy. Like, Duller bye... lol, thats stupid :P
I laughed. Hee Hee

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
Crawfy-Glasgow
JKF Member

Crawfy-Glasgow Between 50 and 149 points

Thanks Roy for your fantastic review of this album,your description is excellent,you should be a PR assistant for Jewel,she would sell thousands more of this album if people had to read your inspiring review of it....well done !

Cheers Crawfy.
Crawfy-Glasgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
vampiremasquerade
positivity=possibility

vampiremasquerade Between 0 and 10 points

thanks for the review. im an avid "jeweler" hehe. but since i recently delivered my child, i havent visited any record bar. will definitely check the CD later.
vampiremasquerade is offline   Reply With Quote