The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-18-2005, 08:41 AM   #1
Angel_Eyes
Members

Angel_Eyes Between 10 and 49 points

This is a thread dedicated to all the suckiness of work. Whether having a job, going to school or even doing chores around the house, we all know that most work sucks. So, post away with whatever is on your mind.

PS: In case you're wondering, I haven't been here in a while because I just got my job back at... Wendy's. -_- Hence, this topic being made. By the way, yes, we serve chili without the severed fingers. :P

"I am a princess and I'm locked inside a stone tower of song.
Trying to write messages on the wind trying to send the message how I just want to belong.
"
Jewel - Choose Me/Where You Are
Angel_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:10 AM   #2
bluediamond
Administrator

bluediamond Between 150 and 249 pointsbluediamond Between 150 and 249 points

Angel, i was sitting here (at work) thinking mmm mmm id love a mac donnalds or a burger king.

About work sucking, hmm, it does sometimes, depends for me whether the University is full of students, if its not, then works great :-) i get to play on the net all day, do very little and still get paid woohooo!.

Mind you, today i was driving to work singing along and i was in a world of my own, you know how it gets sometimes. Well, i sat in the car park with my music playing looking around, daydreaming then all of a sudden you switch the cd off and BANG!! ..... your back into normality, and for me thats the part of work that i hate, when it goes quiet. All you can hear is the constant traffic hum and, well, just stuff lol. TOO NOISY!

Anyway, i thought id share that with you. :blink:

This isnt a bad subject to start about who does what, me, im just an IT Technician who works at a University, pretty sad, but someones gotta do it. How about everyone else?

:lalala:
Dave
bluediamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:27 AM   #3
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Oi! I'm an IT Support Analyst (technician if you will)...does that make me sad? Watch your words PAL!

Ya see, he calls himself an IT Technician but he knows nothing really. Always asking me stuff... you're useless Dave.

Tracy, I had wondered where you got too. The place just hasn't been the same without you. Glad you're back and in full form. Great thread.

I work in a large retailers Head Office here in Dublin in the IT deparment. Seeing as Pc's can go belly up at any time and not on others, I have both good days and bad days. Yesterday, I was rushed off my feet and today, it's dead. I prefer to be moving because on quiet days, I get bored and just want to fall asleep so work sucks on days like today. Some days, I just can't take hearing people's trivial PC problems. 'I need it now?' 'How long will it take? I have a meeting and I need to get a document for it' or when you have worked your butt off for someone and they don't even acknowledge your help, just take take take! Grrrrr!

Let's just hope today goes well. There is still the afternoon to get through. I have to study so the least amount of work the better.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

I finally found a job, when I finally start I'll come back here and tell you all about it. I can't believe that I'm actually going to be working for the US Postal Service. But I figure that I like being outside, I like dogs, and best of all I don't have to wear a suit and tie, and blue is the best color on me. ;)
Old 05-19-2005, 09:05 PM   #5
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

lol, does the USPS know of your anti-bush tendencies? :P

well, i am a work at home mother, and for the most part it is good, like today, so i dont have anything to gripe about. but you know how it is, when those cute little faces start getting cranky and tired and a bit attitudinal ( i made that one up ) then it is frustrating.

i used to work at dominos, and what sucked about that was my manager went psycho out of nowhere, she got so mad one time she started kicking the coke cooler and screaming at all of us :P then of course there were the drunk old guys i would deliver to who would ask me back to their place after i was off work--bleh! plus while i was there i had taken up smoking to deal with the stress--double bleh!

then i worked at subway, which wasnt sooo bad, but working til 3 am fri. and sat. really sucked, then there were the revolting customers who couldnt grasp the concept of flushing...or not using the toilet when it is clogged, or aiming better...i wont go on, some of you may be eating.
i enjoy just taking care of my girls better, now i am not working at night i am much less stressed!

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:47 PM   #6
MrCC
JKF Member

MrCC Between 10 and 49 points

Quote:
Originally posted by kjm030584@May 18 2005, 09:04 AM
I finally found a job, when I finally start I'll come back here and tell you all about it. I can't believe that I'm actually going to be working for the US Postal Service. But I figure that I like being outside, I like dogs, and best of all I don't have to wear a suit and tie, and blue is the best color on me. ;)
To work for the postal service you need to go out and buy a gun, KJM. Preferably a large caliber assault rifle. You need to have it on hand just in case you become disgruntled. ;)
Old 05-19-2005, 11:49 PM   #7
MrCC
JKF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kjm030584@May 18 2005, 09:04 AM
To work for the postal service you need to go out and buy a gun, KJM. Preferably a large caliber assault rifle. You need to have it on hand just in case you become disgruntled. ;)
Old 05-19-2005, 11:59 PM   #8
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

I'll have a water-gun... they'll never know.

I will never have a gun for self defense, there's many better alternatives, like flaming arrows, swords, chains, pepper spray and toasters.

Plus they never seem to make the news for saving the day. Just recently there have been school shootings around where I live, my conscience (believe it or not mine is working double time) would disallow me from ever using a gun.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:30 AM   #9
MrCC
JKF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kjm030584@May 19 2005, 04:59 PM
I'll have a water-gun... they'll never know.

I will never have a gun for self defense, there's many better alternatives, like flaming arrows, swords, chains, pepper spray and toasters.

Plus they never seem to make the news for saving the day. Just recently there have been school shootings around where I live, my conscience (believe it or not mine is working double time) would disallow me from ever using a gun.
Well good for you. I've never owned a gun either.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:06 AM   #10
bluediamond
Administrator

bluediamond Between 150 and 249 pointsbluediamond Between 150 and 249 points

Quote:
Originally posted by Eibhlin@May 19 2005, 09:05 PM
lol, does the USPS know of your anti-bush tendencies? :P

well, i am a work at home mother, and for the most part it is good, like today, so i dont have anything to gripe about. but you know how it is, when those cute little faces start getting cranky and tired and a bit attitudinal ( i made that one up ) then it is frustrating.

i used to work at dominos, and what sucked about that was my manager went psycho out of nowhere, she got so mad one time she started kicking the coke cooler and screaming at all of us :P then of course there were the drunk old guys i would deliver to who would ask me back to their place after i was off work--bleh! plus while i was there i had taken up smoking to deal with the stress--double bleh!

then i worked at subway, which wasnt sooo bad, but working til 3 am fri. and sat. really sucked, then there were the revolting customers who couldnt grasp the concept of flushing...or not using the toilet when it is clogged, or aiming better...i wont go on, some of you may be eating.
i enjoy just taking care of my girls better, now i am not working at night i am much less stressed!
Andrea, i remember when i called domino's when you was working there and this bloke thought i was some kind of nutter. I dont think he had heard an english accent before lol.

I never did get my pizza delivered :wacko:

:lalala:
Dave
bluediamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:12 PM   #11
LonelyLullaby
Members

LonelyLullaby Between 10 and 49 points

Quote:
Well that's a schedule I'm familiar with. Working until 3am and (when I was working at McDonalds) since they had drive-through open the whole night overnight shifts as well. And I remember taking care just of the things that you remind me of ;) Good thing that job is done for me
But I need to start looking for another job all over again this summer (actually I'm already behind) so I'm kind of scared that I'll end up at one of those places again :mecry:
LonelyLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:02 PM   #12
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

lmao @ dave, wow i think i remember that, wooo that was a while ago! ya, sorry we didnt have delivery jets :lol:

omg, working til 3-4 am will mess with your mind too, i mean noone would come in for hours, so my co-worker and i would see who could chuck our pen across the store and hit the signs, or one night arlene and i put stickers all over our faces, rolled up our pants, put our hats on backwards and when these 2 guys came in for some subs we couldnt stop laughing. they musta thought we were baked :P :blink: ya that was a little fun, or we would sing really obnoxious songs at the tops of our lungs to keep each other awake enough to clean the place...

why am i sharing all this? :dunno:

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:31 AM   #13
Angel_Eyes
Members

Angel_Eyes Between 10 and 49 points

Ah, I love working nights more than day shift. Mainly because 1) I usually stay up late anyways 2) I hate waking up in the mornings and 3) depending on the manager, we can sit down when we've caught up on whatever we're closing that night (drive-thru, grill, dishes, dining room). But, one thing I don't like about closing is that there are only 3 or 4 employees on hand, and sometimes one or two are too busy to help take the orders out. The customers really are the worse thing about the job, mostly. But, without them, we don't get paid! :o

"I am a princess and I'm locked inside a stone tower of song.
Trying to write messages on the wind trying to send the message how I just want to belong.
"
Jewel - Choose Me/Where You Are
Angel_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:28 PM   #14
LonelyLullaby
Members

LonelyLullaby Between 10 and 49 points

:) Eibhlin I had fun at nights there too, but eventually the night shifts start to get to you- especially if you're doing this regularly
They're just incredibly slow and that's why I liked them- not a lot of people, not even a lot of people working with you so it's more fun and intimate, one manager (usually cute ;) ) who has to drive you home unless you have a car..
Well that's only for 3am shifts.. It has its good and bad points
I definitely liked that it wasn't busy and you could relax and you're getting paid as much as if you were running around during the day like a crazy woman :P
And actually Tracy I agree with all of those except that I liked that there weren't a lot of people on the stuff, and I thought that the customers was the only interesting part of the job. The other was to clean, stock shelves, and get the garbage out
As well as making orders and yelling at people in the kitchen :) Just kidding I didn't do that
The thing that I hated the most was to clean tables (and floors) while people were eating- walking in between tables
They stare, complain about anything that might be wrong, talk, feel uncomfortable, and I was just feeling very self-conscious altogether
I'm not looking forward to doing this again :mecry: But a job is a job, right?
As long as you get paid ^_^ It's amazing the crap that you put up with
LonelyLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:45 PM   #15
JThisWay620
JKF Member

JThisWay620 Between 50 and 149 points

Work for me is an aggravation not because my job is strenuous but because I have to work with the most dimwitted, lazy, immature, @$$holes around. Common sense lacks in the Food and Nutrition Services of the hospital I work in. Sometiems i wish to grab a tray and bash in the heads of many of coworkers... :devil1: ....sory I have sporatic surges of evil tendences at times...lol...
JThisWay620 is offline   Reply With Quote