The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Jewel News & Tour
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-16-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
Sam78
JKF Member

Sam78 Between 0 and 10 points
Post Jewel's Grammy Submissions

I took a quick look at the list of Grammy submissions this afternoon and think Valory submitted Jewel in Female Country Vocal Performance for Stronger Woman, in Country Song for Stronger Woman, and in Country Album for Perfectly Clear. Unless I missed them, there were no general field submissions for Jewel, no submissions for I Do (which is surprising only because Atlantic used to submit everything for everything), and no submissions for 'Til It Feels Like Cheating (which just confirms that it wasn't released in any form in time for the September 30 cutoff).

--Your friendly neighborhood Grammy watchdog
Sam78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:10 AM   #2
fabiojj
Super JKF Member

fabiojj Between 10 and 49 points

Yeah, Stronger Woman was definitely their best bet as a nomination. Not sending I Do was a smart thing to do, since the song didn't connect with people and it could split the votes with Stronger Woman. I doubt we'll see a nomination for her, but hopefully she'll sneak in somewhere.
fabiojj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:35 AM   #3
Sam78
JKF Member

Yeah, I actually think for a couple of reasons that she has a slightly better chance in Country Album than she does in Country Female Vocal or certainly Country Song.

For one thing, Perfectly Clear went #1 on the Country charts, so people noticed it, and Stronger Woman didn't even break the Country top 10. Also, Female Country Vocal is super competitive with Grammy, critical, and genre favorites like Carrie Underwood, Faith Hill, Emmylou Harris, Taylor Swift, Dolly Parton, LeAnn Rimes, Trisha Yearwood, and Miranda Lambert, among others, all eligible.

The Album field, on the other hand, is a little lighter, with a lot of those women's albums either ineligible or relatively unpopular, and--importantly--the entire Country field really dodged a bullet this year because Long Road Out Of Eden went Rock and Raising Sand went Folk, and I suspect those two are the albums to beat in the genres and in the general field.

At the end of the day, though, I agree with you, fabiojj--I think Jewel gets snubbed by the Grammys again this year...and, to be honest, this is the first time I think she actually deserves to be snubbed.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
charmed23
JKF Member

charmed23 Between 0 and 10 points

when can I see the submission?
unless Jewel releases "Anyone but you", I have to agree that she doesnt deserve any nomination

she should have got nominated (and won) something for Hands, Standing Still, Break me and the 0304 era, though
charmed23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
Sam78
JKF Member

Here are links to the submissions in all potentially relevant fields for Jewel. It turns out I was wrong when I said before that she was submitted for consideration only in three country categories; I discovered over the weekend that I Do was also submitted for Best Short Form Music Video. (That's a complete joke, but there you have it.)

Album of the Year

Record of the Year

Song of the Year

Country Field

Music Video Field