The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

View Poll Results: What do you use?
PC + Windows 9 64.29%
Apple Mac 7 50.00%
PC + Linux/Unix/Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
M€RIO
aUsTrIaN kIlChErIaN

M€RIO Between 50 and 149 points
Default Who has a mac?

Im just wondering who of the members here uses a mac, because a long time i didnt want a mac, but know i bought a mac book pro last week and its coming next week i cant wait any longer im so excited =)!!!
I hope i can connect my keyboard with the mac to record my pianosongs with garageband (anyone here have experiences with that programm/mac)?

~i wanna pilot a plane with you

~so all our problems look small too

~i
ts just an inch from me to you
~depending on what map you use

*jewelonpianoandmore=)*
M€RIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:33 AM   #2
JewelWiki
JKF Member

JewelWiki Between 150 and 249 pointsJewelWiki Between 150 and 249 pointsJewelWiki Between 150 and 249 points

We use Mac's at work and my bf has a couple Macs. I use a PC laptop (with Windows), but I've dabbled a bit in Linux. I haven't really messed around with Garageband at all, but you should be able to connect your keyboard to it. Is it USB or would you use the microphone jack?
Old 05-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
M€RIO
aUsTrIaN kIlChErIaN

Yes its USB but it didnt work with windows anyhow, would be awesome if it works with mac

~i

*jewelonpianoandmore=)*
Old 05-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

I used to use Mac's years ago but use PC's with Windows now. I currently use Windows XP but am considering buying a new laptop with Vista. Just depends on how much it costs. Will take me a while to save up.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:52 AM   #5
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

DreamsLast Between 50 and 149 points

I have an iMac and I love it to death. I needed a new computer and heard horror stories about Vista. So I went with the iMac. It is truly a music lover's friend. It's also great for photos. Very easy to use I think once you get used to the differences from using a PC.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
M€RIO
aUsTrIaN kIlChErIaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsLast View Post
I have an iMac and I love it to death. I needed a new computer and heard horror stories about Vista. So I went with the iMac. It is truly a music lover's friend. It's also great for photos. Very easy to use I think once you get used to the differences from using a PC.
Yeah i now love my new macbook!!! Its just amazing i never thought it would be that easy to use! because you said its good for photos do you know any good programm to view pictures (do you know this problem, i mean theres a programm to open one picture but you cant view more pictures them like on windows am i right?). Anyway its awesome for all things like music.

~i

*jewelonpianoandmore=)*
Old 05-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
JewelWiki
JKF Member

JewelWiki Between 150 and 249 pointsJewelWiki Between 150 and 249 pointsJewelWiki Between 150 and 249 points

If you highlight multiple pictures, you can open them all and go through them like in windows...so if you select all the pictures you want to look at and then hit (Apple key) + O it will open them all in Preview. You can get iPhoto, but I think it costs extra. I'd wait until Google's Picasa is released for Mac if I were you.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:24 AM   #8
wackyoverkhaki
Super JKF Member

wackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 pointswackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 points

Ah, good ol' McIntosh. I miss those. I had a Mac in the 90's. Sure I didn't have internet then, but there's so many cherished childhood games and programs that won't work on my newer Dell. I didn't vote because I wasn't sure what category Dell falls into.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:41 AM   #9
JewelWiki
JKF Member

Dell = PC + Windows
Old 05-31-2008, 08:43 PM   #10
Webbed
JKF Member

Webbed Between 150 and 249 pointsWebbed Between 150 and 249 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bird View Post
I used to use Mac's years ago but use PC's with Windows now. I currently use Windows XP but am considering buying a new laptop with Vista. Just depends on how much it costs. Will take me a while to save up.
Don't go to Vista! Corporations have not adopted the Vista platform, especially because of so many incompatibilities and bugs. Microsoft is working hard to go to the next platform because there is so much reistance to Vista, and many companies are staying with XP.

There was a recent article on BusinessWeek on this very topic. While Microsoft will not come out and say that it was a dud, there's plenty of word out there saying just that.

At home, we have Vista on my wife's computer, and XP on my two laptops (one with the new Microsoft Office, the other with one version older). The one thing I learned about the new Microsoft Office software though (I know this is a slight digression), is that the new menu look on Excel and Word are really, really annoying. There are tabs instead of pull down menus, it just feels less efficient especially when you're used to the pull down menus.

Anyway, enough ranting....
Webbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #11
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Well I'm running a PC here with Vista since it was in beta form. My husband uses that mainly. I was in IT for years so it's still very much a hobby and I like to play around with installations and stuff. I like the Vista machine and what it can do. Not sure if it will translate well with a laptop which is why I'm reserved on getting one but the idea is growing on me.

Thanks for you input though. Always appreciated.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #12
louloublu
Super JKF Member

louloublu Between 10 and 49 points

While I'm not an IT expert like you guys seem to be, the little experience I've with Vista would not encourage me to upgrade to it. Where I work we sell mobile broadband modems and the only times customers have issues installing it, is either if they have illegal software downloads or if they have Vista. Also my brother has just finished his final year of a mechanical engineering degree and for his final year project he decided to buy a laptop as he much of the project was CAD based and he couldn't always get PC access at college. The first one he purchased had Vista and the CAD was excruciatingly slow so he returned it and got one with XP and was able to do his project no problem.

"You thought I didn't notice the skin on your teeth had a tear."
louloublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:05 AM   #13
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

ItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 pointsItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 points

satisfied mac user right here. ive had my g5 since 2004 and its sad Ive seen all my friends pc's die and get bogged down and virus-ridden in this time.. mine still runs like new I love my mac

so close no matter how far
couldn't be much more from the heart
forever trusting who we are
and nothing else matters

ItBeThatWay27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #14
JThisWay620
JKF Member

JThisWay620 Between 50 and 149 points

Pc windows Xp here. I kicked my computer the other day ( out of sheer frustration at how slow it is...I'm not violent people.....) anyways i knocked the cpu fan out of place, had to open up the damn cse and reattach the fan.
I loved Macs back when I was in high school and used them for digital Photo.
I am in the market for a new PC only becasue it's what I know more than anyhing...adn whe it comes to PCs who knows much besides computer nerds..not I.
JThisWay620 is offline   Reply With Quote