The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > Help and Forum Notices
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-31-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

ItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 pointsItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 points
Default Log outs & new posts

I am curious is there a way to get the new posts by looking up the date or something? When I first log in I always clikc NEW POSTS to see the new ones since I've last logged in... I assume everyone does this... well sometimes for whatever reason it will log me out after reading one post and then when I log back in it won't show me new posts b/c It has reset my last login time for then... It's really annoying and I'm curious if theres a way to find new posts by say typing in oct 31 12 am or something??

so close no matter how far
couldn't be much more from the heart
forever trusting who we are
and nothing else matters

ItBeThatWay27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

I use the New Posts feature all the time. I don't have any issues with being logged off. It never happens to me no matter what machine I use because I tick the 'remember me' box when I login.

If you do this already and it still logs you off, I will come back to the usual reason for issues, which is = cookies!

Cookies need to be enabled for you to post and login here. If they are disabled, or restricted, you will find problems. What firewall do you use? Often people find firewalls confusing and often block/unblock things without realising. It could be something like that. 9 times out of 10, this is the reason for issues that people experience on most message boards.

As for finding new posts, I am not aware of another way but you'll be the first to know if I find out.

What I do, is open 'New Posts' in one window and press SHIFT and the last link and it will open the thread in a new window. I always keep the original 'New Post' window open and read all the posts in a separate one. It means I don't lose the links to new threads/posts coz I never close down the original window until I am finished.

Hope that makes sense.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:13 AM   #3
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

thats clever Kiera, opening a new window...
I never have done the remember me thing though and I always have cookies, I don't know about firewalls but I know it is always using cookies, they arent restricted or anything..
but if nothing else I will start opening new posts in a new window so that if I do get logged out I know what is new still. Thanks for that tip

and nothing else matters

Old 11-01-2006, 06:57 AM   #4
Little Bird
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBeThatWay27 View Post
I never have done the remember me thing
Then that's the reason you kept getting logged out. If you tick the 'Remember Me' box, when you login, it won't log you off so you'll be able to get straight in everytime.
However, this only works on the machine you logged in with and ticked 'Remember Me'. You will still have to go through the login process if you connect using a different machine.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 11-01-2006, 08:06 AM   #5
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

DreamsLast Between 50 and 149 points

Quote:
I am curious is there a way to get the new posts by looking up the date or something? When I first log in I always clikc NEW POSTS to see the new ones since I've last logged in... I assume everyone does this... well sometimes for whatever reason it will log me out after reading one post and then when I log back in it won't show me new posts b/c It has reset my last login time for then... It's really annoying and I'm curious if theres a way to find new posts by say typing in oct 31 12 am or something??
Yeah, this has happened to me several times. I don't actually go in and click on 'new posts', but rather look at the icons on the left hand side. If they're lit up, that means there's new posts that have been put up. Sometimes I'll go in and look at a new post and then something weird happens....then all of the icons that indicated new posts that were lit up before are all gray. But I had only looked at 1 post. It was as if it thought I had looked at all of them already or something. It's not really a big deal, cause I can just look at the date & times the last posts were put up to know what's new. But this has happened to me before as well.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:12 AM   #6
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bird View Post
Then that's the reason you kept getting logged out. If you tick the 'Remember Me' box, when you login, it won't log you off so you'll be able to get straight in everytime.
However, this only works on the machine you logged in with and ticked 'Remember Me'. You will still have to go through the login process if you connect using a different machine.
I figured this one out the other day when I was having so many problems keeping logged in. It was getting so bad I'd have to log back in 6 or 7 times every time I visited the site!!! This really does help with that problem!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 01:15 AM   #7
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

Christie if you don't immediately go to NEW POSTS what do you click on when you first login?

and nothing else matters

Old 11-02-2006, 07:33 AM   #8
Little Bird
Administrator

The 'New Posts' is the easiest way to get all the threads that contain new posts. I would be lost without it.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:42 AM   #9
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

Quote:
Christie if you don't immediately go to NEW POSTS what do you click on when you first login?
I simply log in, then by going by the colored little notebooks on the main page next to the Forum names I go into each one. If they're 'grayed' out I know there's nothing new there. Then the threads within the colored notebook forums there that are bolded and near the top are the ones that have new posts....I simply click on the thread and scroll to the bottom. I do this because I like to see the previous posts so I don't have to try and remember what's being discussed....

Am I weird for doing it this way?? I do this with all the message boards I go on!! It probably takes a bit longer than the way you guys do it though...
Old 11-02-2006, 01:37 PM   #10
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

Yes ha ha I think you are a little weird for doing it that way... when I click NEW POSTS it lists them all and when I click the thread, it still shows the previous posts so I don't get what you are explaining, but if it works for you then that's cool. I know what you mean about the colored notebooks though b/c it does that when u go to new posts and after u view them they turn grey...

and nothing else matters

Old 11-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #11
Little Bird
Administrator

No, of course it isn't weird to do it that way. I used to do it that way, but I found 'New Posts' easier and more straight forward. You can check the posts anyway that suits you. Just good to have options.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:49 AM   #12
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

Maybe I'll start doing it that way now....there's more than one way to skin a cat (wait a minute, I can't believe I just said that!!! I'm a CAT LOVER for Goodness Sakes!!)
Old 11-06-2006, 01:36 PM   #13
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

ok freddy krueger I also cant believe u just said that

and nothing else matters