The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-02-2005, 04:49 AM   #1
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

I'm really looking for a place to talk about this with some people who I know are smart. So who's read it? I finished it 3 days after I bought it and I really wanna talk about it.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:22 AM   #2
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Maybe I'm weird but I read the first 2 and just couldn't see the appeal of Harry Potter. Am I reading it wrong? Am I missing something? Coz I just don't 'get it'. I was actually in my local store on July 16th at midnight when they opened. My friend was getting her copy. I could think of better places to be at midnight on a Friday night but hey, she was chuffed she got her copy and had it read in less than 2 days. But she's just like that with books. Really fast. You seem to read them quickly too if it only took you 3 days. That's a LOT of pages.

So tell me, what am I missing?

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:43 AM   #3
doyouwanttoplay
Members

doyouwanttoplay Between 10 and 49 points

<------------ can't stand Harry Potter :bang:
doyouwanttoplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:45 AM   #4
Little Bird
Administrator

Well I wouldn't go so far as to say that!

I could never get into LOTR either. Read the books years ago but have yet to watch any of the movies.

Same goes for Harry Potter movies. Haven't seen any of them yet.

Where's my friend Nessa when ya want her Kyle? She would talk to you for hours about PotterMania!

I'll see if I can get her to join and chat about it.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 08-02-2005, 10:19 AM   #5
Angel_Eyes
Members

Angel_Eyes Between 10 and 49 points

I haven't read the books and only saw the first movie, but.... I know the big ole spoiler. ;) I knew it about a day before the book hit shelves actually, and no, I'm not psychic. ;) I never was interested in reading them though.

&quot;I am a princess and I'm locked inside a stone tower of song.
Trying to write messages on the wind trying to send the message how I just want to belong.
&quot;
Jewel - Choose Me/Where You Are
Angel_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #6
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

:lol: i must admit that i really like Harry Potter, i still need to read The Order of the Phoenix though. i was going to get it last weekend, but ended up locking myself out of my darn car, so i had to return the book to pay for someone to open my car for me! :P how silly is that! but i cant wait to get it this weekend! right now that series and The Dark Tower series, by Stephen King are consuming my reading time. if you need something to read after Harry, you should give the dark tower a try, its sooo good!
ya, i think it took me like a day and a half to finish the sorcerers stone and that pretty much hooked me, i like kids books like that! :)

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:17 PM   #7
michaelsjewel
Member's

michaelsjewel Between 10 and 49 points

i have never read any of the books - but i've seen all 3 movies and i'd have to say all 3 are excellent IMO - if u haven't seen them - i recommend them - they're nice family oriented entertainment that everyone seems to enjoy - at least that i know of
michaelsjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:45 PM   #8
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

Awwww.... Little bird, you gotta read the third one... the 4th 5th and 6th are awesome, not a dull moment. And you can't really judge harry potter by the movies because they suck in comparison to the books, i mean they're good but the books are just awesome.

Quote:
Eibhlin Posted on Aug 2 2005, 12:35 PM
laugh.gif i must admit that i really like Harry Potter, i still need to read The Order of the Phoenix though. i was going to get it last weekend, but ended up locking myself out of my darn car, so i had to return the book to pay for someone to open my car for me! tongue.gif how silly is that! but i cant wait to get it this weekend! right now that series and The Dark Tower series, by Stephen King are consuming my reading time. if you need something to read after Harry, you should give the dark tower a try, its sooo good!
ya, i think it took me like a day and a half to finish the sorcerers stone and that pretty much hooked me, i like kids books like that! smile.gif
Order of the phoenix is the longest book, but there's soo much that goes on in it. Avoid spoiler sites so they don't ruin them for you, because the 6th one is really shocking if you don't know what to expect.

I can't really explain what you're all missing by not reading them, but there's much more plot than the movies or any other book i've ever read. And kiera, don't feel bad about not getting into LOTR book, I believe it's the only time a movie is better than the book it was based on.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:35 PM   #9
Little Bird
Administrator

You know I really should give them a go. I really wasn't overly impressed by the first 2. TO be honest, they had such little impact on me, I don't even remember what they were about. I get confused what bits happened in which books.

I don't judge by the movies as I said...I haven't seen any of them so I couldn't say an opinion on any of those.

I suppose I should go back to the start when I have the time.

MysteriousWisdom