The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-03-2005, 10:21 AM   #1
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Mat and I are gadget heads. That isn't a secret. We have often discussed in the past our vast collection but it's been a while.

So Mat, seeing as you divulged a large proportion of your gadgets in another thread, I thought it was worthy a thread of it's own.

So spill it everyone...what gadgets have you got? What gadgets did you buy when they were the latest craze? What gadgety fad was your favourite (regardless of what decade it took place)?

Everything Gadgety....this is the thread to reveal ALL!!!!

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
doyouwanttoplay
Members

doyouwanttoplay Between 10 and 49 points

Haha, good call Kiera! :)

Well since you asked, I'll detail here again in a list :D

* Nokia 7610 (Which I love - easily the best phone I've had, 1MP camera on the back isn't too shabby if you don't zoom at all... got my eye on my next phone though, Nokia N70 ;) ...)
* Apple iPod 60GB (Priceless! My entire CD collection - near enough - wherever I go. Fantastic... also got a blue iSkin Wild on it - http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorldSite/...0Skins/IS05.htm - which I like!)
* sky+ (Original sky+, not the 160GB version - I do like my music channels and watching of random crap. Watched an interesting documentary on Japanese Hornets last nite :lol: Makes watching tv far more convenient as you can one-touch record, rewind live tv, pause tv, record two things at once, automatically record a series week in-week-out... :D)
* Samsung 32 inch 100Hz Widescreen TV (CRT though, not plasma or LCD... but that's gotta be my next purchase!)
* Sony multi-region progressive scan slimline DVD
* Sony Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound/Amplifier
* Sony VCR (Dunno what that's used for, hehe)
* Sony SACD/CD Deck (I don't have any SACDs - or an SACD enabled set-up - but thought I'd future proof since it was only a tad more than just a Sony CD deck)
* Sony PS2 (Criminally underused!! May get rid of it - seemed a good idea at the time - 4 years ago - but never really got into it)

I've just bought a minidisc deck off eBay for ?48 inc P&P (not Sony though, shockingly, hehe)... as the only minidisc I have is on my old all-in-one hifi which I no longer use as I've gone for seperates instead :)

The only good thing about my PC is the 15" LCD monitor (LG) but I've had that 2 years anyway!

I think that's about it gadget-wise (!) Talking about TV's, there's a lovely LG 32" LCD that keeps telling me to buy it in Dixons, but it's ?999... which is a darn sight cheaper than a few months ago - but I can't justify it, lol - plus, my current TV is only 20 months old and that was ?600! I do love having a big (ish) screen though!
doyouwanttoplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
doyouwanttoplay
Members

Oh, and talking about fads - I had a Psion Series 3a (a PDA) at school! Broke far too many times, hehe - more trouble than it was worth!! Plus the software for it was SO darn expensive.

Only other ex-gadgets I had were a Game Boy - original chunky grey one :) And my previous 4 (!!) mobile phones, all Nokias - 5110 (the 1st Nokia with changeable front cover :D), 3310 (changeable front and back covers!), 8310 (tiny, white backlight, amazing battery life! quality phone) and my 7250 (camera phone - on reverse - took tiny pictures! colour screen - pretty average really, not worth the money in retrospect!).
Old 08-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #4
Little Bird
Administrator

We have very similar tastes!

I have a JVC 32inch 100Hz (of course) CRT TV. Still haven't got the LCD either but no matter what, the CRT will always be superior quality.
3 (yes that is 3) LCD TV's. 2 are 15 inc and 1 is 19 inch. I got a great deal on LG ones and bought them for the kitchen, main bedroom and office. All work off the Sky+ box (160GB) and freeview box and DVD Recorder with the use of wireless
video sender and receivers.
5.1 Dolby Surround sound setup.
Got rid of the now redundant VCR since I got the following
Toshiba DVD-RAM/+-R/RW 160GB HDD Recorder (love it!)
As mentioned, freeview box not available in Ireland...had to get a 'friend' to sort that one for me!
Panasonic Cordless colour screen DECT phone with answer machine (though wanted the BT version with the answer machine but it was always out of stock.)
My Zen Nomad 60GB MP3 player...of course.
New phone...no longer have the 7610. Now have the super sexy 6680 3G phone with 2 cameras
Sony Stereo...in separates, 4 pieces...3 DVD changer, double cassette section, Tuner bit and then the amplifier/controls bit. Not great with stereos. More my other halfs thing. He bought it so know little about it.
Other half has an xBox, I have a GBA with a view to getting the new one subject to funds!

Never owned a PDA, a PS2 or a minidisc but that is just more to do with not having the money. Could always think of better things to buy but wouldn't mind having owned any of them. Would love to get the new PSP coming out and Peter has his eye on the new xBox 360 when it comes out.

I wonder if I missed anything. They are really combined gadgets that Peter and I share...well mostly. He has a whole bunch of his own but that's a whole other list.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 08-03-2005, 04:19 PM   #5
Little Bird
Administrator

In terms of classic consoles, I still have working consoles of:

Sega Master System II
Sinclair Spectrum
Nintendo...the original (only 2 games for it though)
GameBoy
GameBoy color.

I still use the Game Boy colour!

MysteriousWisdom
Old 08-03-2005, 10:53 PM   #6
doyouwanttoplay
Members

I was tempted by the 6680 recently but am holding on for the N70 as that's 3G too, and also has 2 cameras - one for video calling and one 2 MP :)

I have to say I like the look of the 160GB sky+ but to be honest it's no use to me as I don't use mine for "long term" storage anyway - 99% of the time it's used for watching stuff 20 mins later so I can flick through the ads or watch stuff the day after if I go out... either way, completely and utterly worth the money! (for me anyway!)

I haven't got a DVD recorder but then to be honest I'm not a huge TV watcher in terms of programmes/series so wouldn't have much use for it... I tend to watch music TV most of the time! I've never been a big recorder of TV anyway (even with VCR) so don't really feel the need for a DVD recorder at the mo!

The PSP is very tasty but I just am not really a games player so would be a complete waste of cash. Can far better justify ?300 on my iPod than ?200 on a PSP as music is my complete and utter passion... so therefore, if music is involved then I'm likely to be tempted gadget-wise!

Next purchase will be the N70 as i say, then probably a new TV!!
Old 08-04-2005, 07:15 AM   #7
Little Bird
Administrator

Yeah I want that phone too. The 6680 is just on loan to me at the mo but when the N series comes out...it WILL be mine, oh yes...it will be MINE!

I had to get the 160GB Sky+ coz my other one was filling up really quickly. I record a bunch of stuff and watch it when I have a few spare hours so I often get down to about 3% free and I end up rushing all the shows and sometimes sacraficing some stuff I just don't get the chance to watch. Although the new DVD recorder has helped relieve that pressure.

We think so alike :)

This is the first DVD recorder I have ever gotten. Saved a packed by getting it new on eBay but I just never had a need for one before now. It was the DVD-RAM and the HDD that drew me in. As for games consoles, I'm the same. The PSP takes my fancy alright but I would rather get the N70 first over anything else right now. The whole concept of it sounds so droolingly delish! Can't wait

MysteriousWisdom
Old 08-04-2005, 08:08 AM   #8
doyouwanttoplay
Members

Hehe, yeah it's scary the similarities :D

I initially thought I wanted the N91 "the iPod mini killer"... but then I thought that's completely and utterly pointless getting that, plus it isn't out till January at the VERY earliest ;)

That DVD Recorder/HDD combo does sound sweet :D Did you set back very much? I have to admit I'd be tempted!

Quite simply though, the N70 is a must have :D My upgrade costs are far far more reasonable now that I'm with Vodafone instead of Vodafone through Singlepoint/Phones4u (as Vodafone bought out Singlepoint)... Voda quoted me ?100 to upgrade to the 6680 which I thought was very reasonable considering Singlepoint wanted ?200 to upgrade to the 7610 last year (knocked em down to ?160 though). Apparently the N70 is due in September :)
Old 08-04-2005, 09:47 AM   #9
Little Bird
Administrator

Well I bought the DVD recorder on eBay for ?270 and it retails for nearly ?750 so it was a massive saving and perfect. Have no complaints other than it isn't the most user friendly thing in the world. If I have difficulty then God help the average Joe.

Come on...I am sure there are more than just Mat and I into gadgets. It can be anything. Doesn't even have to be technology. For instance. I have cool wine bottle opener which I consider to be a kichen gadget. Got it as a gift but it is a brilliant invention that opens wine bottles in seconds. Not mechanical or requires batteries...just cleverly designed!

So give it some thought...what clever gadgets do you have and USE!

MysteriousWisdom
Old 08-05-2005, 10:09 AM   #10
WhatWouldJewelDo
Members

WhatWouldJewelDo Between 10 and 49 points

Well, I'm just going to join this conversation and reveal a big secert i am a spoiled brat no, I am not proud of myself. I probably would have never figured this out unless my big sisters reminded me of that every single day of my life.

so here goes-

~iPod 60GB photo
~Apple iMac (I JUST GOT IT TOO!!! its the new flat screen one.)
~Motorola Razr cell phone
~ surround sound in my room
~a fender dg-22ce acoustic-electric guitar blue (i dont know if that counts but o well)

I'm trying to get a tv out of my parents for christmas, but they said if the get me a tv, then i will NEVER come out of my room (which is partially true)

hope this post doesnt change the way you think of me. lol.
how 'bout me enjoying the moment for once
how 'bout unabashedly bawling your eyes out

thank you India
thank you terror
thank you disillusionment
thank you nothingness
thank you clarity
thank you thank you silence</span></span></span>
WhatWouldJewelDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:26 AM   #11
Little Bird
Administrator

How old are you again? Wow, if I had all that stuff when I was your age.

Well so long as you appreciate your parents for giving you all these things and give something back to them too!

I'm assuming you're either the youngest or the only boy or both!

Guitars do count, especially yours considering it's got a very nice gadget of an on-board pre-amp. Nice!

I have a fender DG-3 acoustic guitar with red sunburst design. I absolutely love it. Have been thinking of getting some pickups added to it but am afraid I'll ruin it. Cost me a lot of money when I bought it. I was only 14 and it took me about 5 months to pay off out of pocket money and odd jobs but I just had to have it. I will never sell it either!

I'm assuming yours is a blue sunburst design. My guitar is a red sunburst but I think the whole sunburst design is gorgeous!

MysteriousWisdom
Old 08-05-2005, 11:07 AM   #12
doyouwanttoplay
Members

You can keep your Motorola Razr (too many menus on those, though they are super thin)... but am most envious of the new iMac - they are GORGEOUS!! Very lucky there... have to say all my technological stuff is bought out of my own pocket, and as such can't really stretch to a new iMac unless it goes on a credit card... which are all empty at the mo come to think of it... hmm.... B)
Old 08-05-2005, 11:23 AM   #13
Little Bird
Administrator

A guy in work had the Razr 2 weeks then the keypad broke. Too fragile but sexy looking.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 08-05-2005, 11:15 PM   #14
WhatWouldJewelDo
Members

WhatWouldJewelDo Between 10 and 49 points

The Razr is really fragile, I'm not the kind of person to drop my phones, and It slipped out of my hand once, and It wouldnt turn on and I FREAKED OUT!!!!!!! I almost started crying, it was like 2 weeks old at the time. When I got home, I plugged it into the charger and it started working. I got soo scared.

And Kiera, youre smart, I am the only boy AND the youngest.
Oh, and about the guitar, I would recommend a soundhole Fishman pickup if you have a few bucks to spend. If youre looking for something more budget consious, I would go for a Martin under the bridge pickup. The under the bridge are easier to install. You can find these at www.musiciansfriend.com , go to guitars and then go to 'parts and accesories' and on the left hand side menu at the top it will say Acoustic Pickups, click on that.

I love my guitar, but the only problem is the high gloss finish, my hand sweats when I play for long periods of time, so it makes it almost impossible to move up and down the neck because of the gloss finsh it.

I do admit, my parents make me keep at least a 3.5 GPA, or all my stuff is taken away.
how 'bout me enjoying the moment for once
how 'bout unabashedly bawling your eyes out

thank you India
thank you terror
thank you disillusionment
thank you nothingness
thank you clarity
thank you thank you silence</span></span></span>
WhatWouldJewelDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:18 AM   #15
MrCC
JKF Member

MrCC Between 10 and 49 points

I've got lots of stuff, but one of my most useless gadgets is a a 1950's era Civil Defense radiation meter. It was supposed to be used to detect if it was safe to go outside after a nuclear war. It's in new condition and came sealed in a box with an original D battery. Our government has/had thousands of these meters stored in civil defense storage facilities.

Our goverment sold these still fully functional antiques for pennies on the dollar after storing them for approximately 4 decades and luckily never needing them. I got mine from a friend who had a two pallets of them in his garage.