The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-15-2007, 11:13 PM   #61
Veilingmeat
Veiling yet very Meaty

Veilingmeat Between 150 and 249 pointsVeilingmeat Between 150 and 249 points

Hehe...Lloyd, thats a Welsh name!!! nout wrong with that i'd say!? but when i think of the name Lloyd....i think of

OI GROSSMAN........NOOOOOOOO!!!
inspire thou in me something yet more,
present further perversions to my smoking heart,
and then shalt thou see how I shall plunge myself into them all!

-Marquis De Sade-
Veilingmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:48 AM   #62
ROBARE
JKF Member

ROBARE Between 10 and 49 points

ROBARE First name and last name together,Last name is very Irish...
ROBARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:23 AM   #63
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veilingmeat View Post
OI GROSSMAN........NOOOOOOOO!!!
LOL - pity that joke is lost on most members here.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:44 AM   #64
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

DreamsLast Between 50 and 149 points

How 'bout we take this one step further and discuss the national origins of our families?? That is, if you know what they are.

For instance, I am mostly of Swedish and Irish descent, with a little bit of "mutt" mixed in for good measure (French, German, English).... ;-) My great-grandfather came to the U.S. from Stockholm, Sweden in 1907 on a ship named Oscar II (he later gave his son, my grandfather, 'Oscar' as his middle name). That is my most direct (& most recent) line from Europe. More distantly my dad's side is Irish but you have to go back 5 or 6 generations back to get to Ireland.

I've been working on my genealogy for the last 2 years, it's become quite a fun and interesting project!! I have a 2nd cousin who has visited our family that remained in Sweden. One day I hope to do the same.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #65
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

My great grandmother had traced our ancestry back to the Mayflower, my aunt has the records, one day I will borrow them and maybe make a tree. I always thought it would be cool to make an online famiyl tree for our family. The origins I know about are Finnish/British on my dad's side. My mother's side French/Canadian. Apparent;y if I wanted to, I could become a member of the Daughters of the Mayflower and one of our ancestors Rebecca Nurse was flaseley accused of witchcraft and hung in the Salem Witch Trials.

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #66
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

DreamsLast Between 50 and 149 points

How interesting, Andrea!! That's the kind of stuff I love finding out!!! It's amazing to me to learn of something that an ancestor did, hearing stories of their lives. It's not so much fun when all you have on someone is a birth & death date. It's the stories that make it exciting!!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:00 PM   #67
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

good lawd my typing is NO reflection of my actual spelling ability-thank God!!!

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:49 PM   #68
JThisWay620
JKF Member

JThisWay620 Between 50 and 149 points

Well my name is Jonathan. It's Hebrew for "God has given" or God is Gracious."
As for my family, I'm of Puerto Rican descent. Although My grandfather's family is from Espania so I have some fresh European blood in there a bit. Beyond that I can honestly say I have no idea of my family's origins.
JThisWay620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:14 AM   #69
Banned

007 Between 50 and 149 points

My name means 'to prevail'. It is from the Latin origin, meaning "to concquer".

I hhave dated origins that I am an English descendent from a Westminster family that came to America in the 1700's, beginning with a man who came over on a boat, whose first name was 'Cornelius'. His surname matches mine and will be kept private for my own sake. his grandchildren fought in the Cavalry during the Civil War. THis is my paternal side. They are English. The children of each generation have gone to serve their nation's hour of need by military service. This includes the Civil War, the Indian Wars, the Great War, World War II, and Vietnam.

Onto my mother's side. Again, surnames will be kept private. They are native American, of two tribes. The farthest it goes back is the 1830's, beginning with an Indian man named Marjaha (this sounds like a girl's name, but it was his, guess they wanted a girl, don't know much about the origin here!). ALl I know about him is that his parents were slaughtered on the Indian Removal Act of 1839, by the Trail of Tears, a long march over several states where Indians were forced to leave their homems to live on restricted reservations. His parents were killed during that march. He had children, George Washington (surname omitted), who moved back to his native area through hthe Dawes Act, and was 'transformed' into an American citizen via the Dawes Act. He had a girl and a boy, I don't know the girls name, but I think theh boy's name was Zebulon, "Zeb". George Washington was killed during the Civil War fighting for his country that took away his own blood kin. His little girl died and the boy was raised alone, and had a child at a young age out of wedlock, Jesse. Now, Zeb was killed during the Indian Wars by the Cavalry. Jesse fought in the Great War (World War I), and was a replacement in the trecnh warfare combat system.

The crazy thing is that my father's side of the family was Union during the Civil War, my mother's Confederate. My mother's side is Indian and my fathehr's side was US Cavalry, the men who killed the Indians. And then not only that, my ancestor, Jesse, was not declared a citizen by our nation and put into a replacement depot to fight in WWI, with white men who considered him "crazy" only based ono theh fact he was an Indian. Jesse, served his nation well in the Argonne forest, and was one of the few Indian codetalkers during World War I. And yes, I'm a historian and would know over anyone else here, their were code talkers during WWI, so quit watching WIndtalkers and learning Cha-Da-ga-Hee, and remembering it means tortoise. The first codetalkers were used during WWI, and they were Indians, but since Indians weren't quite citizens of the United States, but citizens ofo their own individual Indian nation, they were wrongfully labelled and recorded by the white man as 'insane'. Believe it or not, they were actually considered mentally insane and unstable by the US Armed Forces, all Indians. NO one was spared, if you were noticably enough Indian, in which he was a full blood, you were resstricted amounts of pay, not allowed full furlough in certain cities during certain times. It was politics and racism was all. Just like black soldiers during WWI and WWII, they were consdiered 'less usable' by their white counterparts and were given less pay compared to the white men in service and were also not allowed 'real jobs', but were cooks and truck drivers. The racism in this nation was really insane then, literally. My ancestor, Jesse, fought for his nation against the Turks and Germans, and was not given back pay, service overseas pay, or anything to compensate. They were considered and officially labelled as 'insane' because they were from an Indian reservation, and they were actually beter warriors. And he was worngfully labelled 'insane', as that is no reflection on me.

I heard stories passed down about him fighting without arms, but using his own hands and a knife, and how the white soldiers stayed away from him because he knew brutal scalping methods and techniques of CQC. It was interesting to know that old Jess shut 'em up with his skill. Then again, think about it. He was on the run from the Cavalry as were his family, from right on to the end of WOunded Knee, where he buried his heart and his father. I guess I could still learn a thing or two from him, but not without a heater and some serious smelling salts.

It makes me want to talk to each person, my father's side, the Union Cavalry and the later 7th Cavalry, in their triumphant campaign against the 'savage Indian nations'. And then talk to my mother's family that was part of teh white man's slaughtering of the Indians, who raped thier women, stole their land, and hunted down each person's father and mother. To know that my father's ancestors couldl have battled during the Civil War against each other, then again in the Indian Wars, and then again thrown together to fight with prejudice in the Great War, it was unnerving to think about. It is quite possible, though highly imporbable, that my ancestor from the father's side, could have actually killed the ancestor on my mother's side. It's defintely different knowing that, and makes me think of where I came from, and how my ancestors could have been good friends. You know, my father's fmaily might have liked to fish, and the mother's side mighth have liked to hunt....but under different circumstances, you know, they might have been good friends.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:38 AM   #70
never.alone
Jessica

never.alone Between 50 and 149 points

my name means "wealthy"

simple as that.

alone. always. alone. never. alone....

Come away O human child To the waters and the wild With a fairy hand in hand For the world's more full of weeping Than you can understand.
http://blog.myspace.com/butiwannaplay
never.alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:09 AM   #71
awiste
Alli

awiste Between 50 and 149 points

I have no idea what my name means but I do know that my mother's grandparents came over from Ireland during the potato famin. Then her father's grandparents came over from Germany. I don't know a lot about my dad's side of the family except that somewhere down the line I'm related to a pope. Thats all I know. I"ve been really wanting to dig a little further into my heritage but right now I don't have a whole lot of time to do that.
awiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:40 AM   #72
Banned

007 Between 50 and 149 points

A pope, you should collect indulgences!
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:03 PM   #73
awiste
Alli

awiste Between 50 and 149 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
A pope, you should collect indulgences!
Yeeaaahhhh, I don't know about that... I'm not a religious person by any means but I suppose my aunts who are fransiscan nuns think its pretty awesome.
awiste is offline   Reply With Quote