The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Jewel News & Tour
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #31
wmtodd
Banned

wmtodd Between 0 and 10 points

The creative style is really good in the video and the song is growing on me, but I have to be honest and say something is missing. If I'm in Lowes hardware shopping and one of her top songs is being played, I notice it, but with this it's just different for some reason. Well, it's only one song so far, but the others on the album might get me.... William Hollifield
wmtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #32
Romanos
JKF Member

Romanos Between 0 and 10 points

hey you! I just want to say somenthing Jewel's teeth are allways looks good(watch stand video) and what I tried to say is that I didn't like the way the camera show her teeth because I've never seen them like that and about the video for me is so good , but like you said kinda boring but the best part is the end! she's so beautiful without make up!!!
Romanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:14 PM   #33
BTMYH2005
Members

BTMYH2005 Between 10 and 49 points

I really liked the concept and how the video turned out. If I could change something I would have had the clothes coming off gradually throughout the video instead of all at once really fast. It would get more attention to see what the point is if it was done that way.. but it's only a 3 minute song and characters had to be introduced and the meaning in the end had to be clear. I Love it though. Can' wait until it's available on iTunes to buy.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #34
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

DreamsLast Between 50 and 149 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBeThatWay27 View Post
I like it. I was sort of not feeling the SOUND of the song until now. Now I feel like this is Jewel. I like the concept. Good video. I love when she gets the guitar
OH, I know what you mean!! It's like she's almost not "herself" without that guitar on....
Old 03-12-2008, 11:10 PM   #35
JThisWay620
JKF Member

JThisWay620 Between 50 and 149 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam78 View Post
Oh, and I thought it was weird about Perez having the video first, too.

I'm guessing Jewel and her team aren't sure they can count on CMT or VH1 to jump on the video right away, so they decided to try to get it to go viral online first to drum up interest, and perhaps because she's friendly with Perez and perhaps because of how popular his site is, they let him have the exclusive--at least for a few hours.

Interesting approach, and probably even a good one in some circumstances, but the missing piece in this strategy is a really interesting video that will make people forward the YouTube link to their friends. This video just ain't got it. But then, none of Jewel's videos have ever had that.

I think the closest thing to controversial or political in Jewel's videos is probably Break Me, and that video didn't even make a dent in the American social consciousness. Then of course there was Stand, which I thought was the best of all her videos, but again, that video was so hopelessly underplayed it ended up essentially being a terrible waste of a great video on an unpopular song.

Bottom line: Jewel's just not a video artist. She makes beautiful, artistic-looking videos, but not really videos with points or statements. It's just the nature of her work.

And about the comments on Perez's site--they're always really negative and hateful like that. He could post an entry titled "Jesus comes down from Heaven to pet a kitten" and you would get some crazy fool commenting "FIRST!!! Perez is a twat! And who does Jesus think he is? Those robes are so 12 B.C. Fashion Police--arrest that man!"

Okay, I'll stop babbling now. You all now know all of my opinions on this matter.
I disagree with what you said about Jewel not making vidoes without pionts or statements. ...the statement part especially. Umm....her recent vid is a statement. "Break Me" was a statement, "Intuition" was a statement, "Stand" was a statement...probably the biggest statement in a Jewel video. maybe they are too subtle but I see thsoe videos and they scream political or social agenda/commentary.

It is kind of odd that Jewel hasn't fully embraced video like so many artists. Considering her stance on music as storytelling one would think she would tell a visual story along with a scirpt (ie the song). Mayeb a song like "Rosy and Mick" would lend itself to a better video.
JThisWay620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:37 PM   #36
wmtodd
Banned

wmtodd Between 0 and 10 points

I think we need to stop talking about her teeth, she probably reads these comments to stay in touch with her fan base (silently) and I'd hate to hurt her feelings. If she wanted braces she has the money to get emmm, It's the way God made her and she's content with who she is..... But I think when it comes to her new music, she's trying new stuff and I'm sure it takes time to adjust to all the changes... I like a few songs with all the country artists, but I'm staying open minded for Jewel..... William H.
wmtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:06 AM   #37
fabiojj
Super JKF Member

fabiojj Between 10 and 49 points

You know, Jewel has said many times that she doesn't like to do obvious videos, like the Stronger Woman video many were expecting to see. I disagree with the person who said Jewel is not a video artist. Of course she's no Bjork, but she's had some amazing videos. You Were Meant For Me is an artistic masterpiece, Down So Long is a gorgeous band video - it was the first video that featured her band at the time - filmed beautifully and very artsy by the same director of YWMFM (I wonder where he is now...). Break Me is another awesome video with a very interesting take on a love song - it could be Jewel's most relevant video to date. Intuition is another great piece of work and incredibly up-to-date and intelligent, though people totally got it wrong... Stand is, actually IMO, overrated... I think it's a good video but not that great. The thing that I don't really like about is that is exactly what Jewel doesn't like - it's obvious. Sure, it's a very good script and they certainly made it interesting, but I was expecting something not as obvious. Good Day is also a good video, though it seems a bit amateurish.

Anyway, Jewel best of of videos is gonna be a great one IMO. I really like most of her videos.
fabiojj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:17 AM   #38
wackyoverkhaki
Super JKF Member

wackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 pointswackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 points

She looked very lovely...the minimal makeup really let her natural beauty shine through. As some of you already mentioned, I loved the grass/guitar scene- classic Jewel and that's what we all want. I thought the overall theme was a bit trite and ignorant though. Does wearing a corset, sari or lipstick really make a woman oppressed? Oppression isn't about clothes, it's about abuse. I don't doubt the director meant well but he/she could have thought of more original representation IMO. As for the haters on Perez or any similar website...they have no life.

Last edited by wackyoverkhaki; 03-13-2008 at 03:30 AM.
wackyoverkhaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #39
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

DreamsLast Between 50 and 149 points

I believe it was Jewel that came up with the concept for this video....she mentioned this in her blog on Myspace. I think she is the one who decided to have all of the different women from different cultures represented in this video. The shedding of their restrictive clothing was to represent them freeing themselves from whatever it is in their lives that "represses" them. I do completely agree with you that the entire idea is about emotional abuse (not necessarily the culture-specific clothing items), and maybe she didn't want it to be that serious or sad of a video?? IDK, but I definitely agree with you on that point.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:45 PM   #40
wackyoverkhaki
Super JKF Member

wackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 pointswackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsLast View Post
I believe it was Jewel that came up with the concept for this video....she mentioned this in her blog on Myspace. I think she is the one who decided to have all of the different women from different cultures represented in this video. The shedding of their restrictive clothing was to represent them freeing themselves from whatever it is in their lives that "represses" them. I do completely agree with you that the entire idea is about emotional abuse (not necessarily the culture-specific clothing items), and maybe she didn't want it to be that serious or sad of a video?? IDK, but I definitely agree with you on that point.
Yeah I suppose depicting serious oppression & abuse would be a bit of a downer for a country music video, especially her first.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:22 PM   #41
Cyril
Banned

Cyril Between 0 and 10 points

I love the video, especially the end. Jewel's so beautiful and so simple. She's definitely one of the "great ones".
Cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #42
Jewelluvr
Members

Jewelluvr Between 10 and 49 points

It's a beautiful vid. And I think it'll be a hit with country audiences, which I am proud to be a part of. I don't think it'll be an issue having a Middle Eastern woman in the vid, at least it wasn't with me.

BTW, the vid's also up on CMT and VH1's websites.
Jewelluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #43
Crawfy-Glasgow
JKF Member

Crawfy-Glasgow Between 50 and 149 points

I think its a decent video,and the song is going to grow on us all,once we hear it more and more,like on the radio,hopefully.
I really like the little look she gives near the end,almost on the last strum of the guitar,she looks with her eyebrows up as if to say,'well,what do you all think of my first country effort',check it out. Also,when she has all of the jewels off and less makeup,she looks hot,good on you Jewel.
I also love her raspy vocals towards the end of the song,superb.
I hope it gets radio play in the usa and also the UK,but i'm not holding my breath.
Cheers Crawfy !!!
Crawfy-Glasgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:18 AM   #44
ShawnShamrock
Members

ShawnShamrock Between 50 and 149 points

We should proabaly get an early start on voting for it for the top 20 countdown on vh1 and cmt although i dont know if u can vote on cmt's
Just an idea.
ShawnShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #45
Jewelluvr
Members

Jewelluvr Between 10 and 49 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordassmonkey View Post
We should proabaly get an early start on voting for it for the top 20 countdown on vh1 and cmt although i dont know if u can vote on cmt's
Just an idea.
Here's the link to vote on CMT's Top 20 Countdown: http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/top_twe...oll_main.jhtml

She's not available for voting yet, but there is a message board. Maybe we could stir up some interest.

http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/top_twe...ge_board.jhtml
Jewelluvr is offline   Reply With Quote