The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > Help and Forum Notices
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-19-2006, 10:29 PM   #1
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points
Smile What happened to the JKF?

Well as a lot of you will notice, this isn't the same place it was a week ago. On Monday 14th August, it all turned sour.

A software update of the software we had at the time (IPB) completely wiped our entire database. 15,000 posts, 442 members - gone!!
You can actually see the old main page by clicking here which is a cached page from 12th August.

You're probably wondering, 'Surely there was a backup'. We thought so too. When selecting our Hosting company, one of the main things I looked for was how regularly they backed up their servers. It came down to 2 hosting companies but 1 only offered weekly backups, the other daily backups, otherwise it was the same service for the same monthly price. We clearly went with the one offering daily backups. However, it is only as a result of this horrible incident that it turns out, that our hosting providers overwrite the same backup everyday, and we were too late asking for a backup just 8 hours after the database was overwritten. Stupid, I know.

I did make my own backup a month beforehand but the database was corrupt and couldn't be used. I hadn't backed up correctly and so we have learned a very harsh lesson. From now on, I will be taking my own weekly backups.

Well in the end, all was not lost. The only thing we had was our old free forum over at InvisionFree. We updated to IPB licensed software from InvisionFree at the end of March this year. We used that database to rebuild the current JKF.

Seeing as we had to rebuild, we decided to upgrade again to the best software money could buy and vBulletin gave us that! Goodbye IPB!

So what does this mean?
  • We have lost all posts/threads & members since the end of March 2006.
  • Up until that time, all posts, threads and members can still login, however, it will have retained your profile, email, password etc up until 28th March 2006.
  • If you have changed those since then, it will not have retained that information.
  • We ran a competition just 1 day before we lost the forum. Although only 1 day old, we did receive 3 submissions (none offered the full 10 flags). As the submissions were made by PM, as requested, they too were lost and so we will have to discount them. We sincerely apologise.
What we need
  • We need as many new members and posts as possible to get us backup and running like before.
  • We will be offering rewards for both referalls and top posters so please keep help us to build backup. Tell your friends who like Jewel or anyone who just likes good conversation to come join and take part
  • We'll also be bringing more features than before which will all become known very soon.
  • We will be relaunching the competition to you. You'll all find out about that soon.
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:34 AM   #2
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

It's great to have it back!!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 04:04 AM   #3
johnb5784
JKF Member

johnb5784 Between 10 and 49 points

damn all my hard work of finding 9 out of 10 went for nothing lol.. I'm just glad were back up and running. I will let everyone i know to come on over and join in on our great forum here!!

john
johnb5784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:08 AM   #4
last_dance_rodeo
Temporarily Absent Mod

last_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 pointslast_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 points

thanks for coming back john
Old 08-20-2006, 11:50 AM   #5
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

DreamsLast Between 50 and 149 points

YAY! Glad to see it's back!! :-)

Kiera, is it possible for you to send a group email to every registered member of the board to let them know the site is back up and has changed?? It could be a good way to get people who haven't posted in awhile to become interested in visiting the site again. Just a thought!

Last edited by DreamsLast; 08-20-2006 at 11:55 AM.
DreamsLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

I'm starting to get it figured out now........but my siggy pic won't show up for some reason. Hmmmmmmm..........
Old 08-20-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

ItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 pointsItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 points

This is weird and Thanks Kiera for making my name but I want my 27 back. If I re-register myself I hope you can delete the other one...
ItBeThatWay27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 03:32 PM   #8
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

Ok this is really weird this forum is like I went to a foreign country or something I am so lost.... ok I will be back as ItBeThatWay27... sorry Kiera I am going to make you have to re-adjust my post-count again but my 27 is part of me....
Old 08-20-2006, 03:43 PM   #9
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

Ok i am so mad I tried to make my old name and it sent an e-mail to my other e-mail address I was suppost to follow but it never came so I guess I am stuck with this and I am just being a brat....
Old 08-21-2006, 08:43 AM   #10
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

I hope you can get this figured out!! It will take some time to get used to this, we'll just all have to help each other out.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:47 AM   #11
Sitdogboy!
Super JKF Member

Sitdogboy! Between 50 and 149 points

All my 50 post are gone T__T

Well, its good to be back

EDIT: My avatar isnt moving....

Weird.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:25 AM   #12
bluediamond
Administrator

bluediamond Between 150 and 249 pointsbluediamond Between 150 and 249 points

If you mean the head thing in your signature it is moving from side to side.....then its all ok here

Check your internet settings and make sure you have active X and java controls enabled. Also if you are using an animated .GIF file for your avatar make sure it is not saved as a single frame.

la la la la
dave
bluediamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:38 AM   #13
Sitdogboy!
Super JKF Member

Sitdogboy! Between 50 and 149 points

I know the Sig is moving, just not the Avatar.

It is not saved as 1 frame. I made it, I should know

Its not a big deal
Old 08-23-2006, 07:39 AM   #14
Little Bird
Administrator

I've adjusted your post count for the 50 posts you lost, on top of the ones you have now but the posts themselves are gone.

Gary, I'll email you later today with some options. I see you loved joined several times now. I need you to pick which one you wish to keep and I will merge the accounts.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:45 AM   #15
Little Bird
Administrator

Unfortunately, all the settings are at default and there are tonnes of them. The forum was only back up and running on Sunday afternoon when I had to then leave to go to the UK on business for 2 days. After barely any sleep these past 3 nights, I am back to normal to day (sort of) which means I can properly sit with this and fix some of the issues that you are experiencing. I can do that this evening.

My main aim was to get the forum back up at a basic level that you could all post again.

Anyone who lost posts, please pm me what your post count was and I'll adjust it to match here.