The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Jewel News & Tour
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
JewelWiki
JKF Member

JewelWiki Between 150 and 249 pointsJewelWiki Between 150 and 249 pointsJewelWiki Between 150 and 249 points
Default Jewel - Beginnings

Chris made an excellent find!

http://piecesofuk.blogspot.com/2008/...eginnings.html

And after some research:

http://www.lala.com/#album/2306124485460112910/
Old 12-03-2008, 01:47 AM   #2
mjuehl3
JKF Member

mjuehl3 Between 0 and 10 points

this sounds awesome and all but... why hasn't jewel mentioned this at all? i can't help but feel skeptical about it...
mjuehl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:48 AM   #3
mjuehl3
JKF Member

but nonetheless, if it is real, this really is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
Lara
JK Fan n°1 in Croatia

Lara Between 0 and 10 points

Is this real? I can't hear the audio...but I hope it is...
Old 12-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
piecesofuk
JKF Member

piecesofuk Between 10 and 49 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjuehl3 View Post
this sounds awesome and all but... why hasn't jewel mentioned this at all? i can't help but feel skeptical about it...
The back cover art can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/nrek/3056436161/ where it mentions that it's copyright 2008 InnerChange Cafe. There's no mention of Jewel, so it could mean it's an unauthorized recording so Jewel wouldn't know about it.

Chris.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
JewelWiki
JKF Member

JewelWiki Between 150 and 249 pointsJewelWiki Between 150 and 249 pointsJewelWiki Between 150 and 249 points

Not for release in the US... :P

That really makes me wonder if this is a bootleg!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:58 AM   #7
mjuehl3
JKF Member

is that legal though, to sell her music without her knowing about it? i dont know how that kind of stuff works...
Old 12-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
piecesofuk
JKF Member

piecesofuk Between 10 and 49 points

Has the album been deleted from lala.com? The link Robbie posted is showing up as Unknown by Unknown at the moment.

Chris.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:53 PM   #9
nrek
JKF Member

nrek Between 0 and 10 points

Howdy - I found this link through my Flickr stats, thought I could clear a few things up.

This is the first professional recording of Jewel, ever. It was completed in 1994 at the Innerchange.

My team and I made a small error when pressing the CD from the masters, but that's in the process of being handled. The final product will include 21 tracks (20 songs + 1 poem).
nrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:57 PM   #10
nrek
JKF Member

nrek Between 0 and 10 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesofuk View Post
The back cover art can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/nrek/3056436161/ where it mentions that it's copyright 2008 InnerChange Cafe. There's no mention of Jewel, so it could mean it's an unauthorized recording so Jewel wouldn't know about it.

Chris.
Jewel knows about the recording. Her current label isn't interested in working with or being associated with the project - it's not her genre.
nrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:02 AM   #11
janej
JKF Member

janej Between 10 and 49 points

Did Jewel give her blessing on this? I think no or it would not have be taken offline so fast. If Jewel makes no $$ and this is some evil bootlegger ripping off her and fans then lets share it like all good angelfood!!
janej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #12
reggiedvd
JKF Member

reggiedvd Between 10 and 49 points

It's gone now.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:25 PM   #13
JewelWiki
JKF Member

I e-mailed Alan/MrBB about this release and here's what he had to say:

Quote:
Been buried in work here and general pre-holiday insanity, so apologies for the delay in checking my mail. Just getting caught up today. I think I can clear this up, as there does seem to be a lot of incorrect info being circulated, which others have forwarded here as well. The primary answer is no, Beginnings is definitely not legit and is not a legal release. This is why various online locations removed it immediately. Jewel has never granted permission for anyone to be selling those or any other bootleg recordings.

Although they are indeed one of the many 1994 live recordings of Jewel at The Inner Change, much of the hype about them is blatant false advertising. I'll simply addresss the actual statements I've read in print so far. They are certainly not the earliest proffessional recordings of Jewel. They are not even the earliest proffessional recordings of Jewel at The Inner Change, let alone proffesional recordings. The source is simply a cassette of a mono recording made off the little rinky-dink mixer they had at the Inner Change. By 1994, several digital soundboard-direct recordings had already been made. A couple of live multitrack recordings were also made prior to this recording, as well as many studio demos, so my point is they are simply not what they claim to be - "the earliest proffesional recordings of Jewel." Also, this particular recording was definitely not made prior to Jewel signing with Atlantic, which occurred in 1993, well before this performance. And needless to say, many of the song titles are certainly not the accurate titles, then or now. Just somebody guessing who was not very good at it - or possibly naming them incorrectly on purpose in a vain attempt to avoid publishing and copyright legalities. Anyone attempting to profit by selling you these recordings is doing so illegally. They are not trying to do you any favor.

That said, Jewel does plan to release official archive recordings and when she does, you can be certain they will be officially announced on jeweljk.com, her myspace page, etc. Feel free to pass this entire message on.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:54 AM   #14
mjuehl3
JKF Member

im glad i didn't pay for this... but i can't wait for an official CD to be released!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 03:54 AM   #15
mjuehl3
JKF Member

by the way, thanks for checking up on that Wiki!