The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Everything Else Jewel
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-31-2008, 03:41 AM   #1
wackyoverkhaki
Super JKF Member

wackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 pointswackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 points
Default 3 Days! WHOOO!

I'm getting so psyched!Actually, I won't be listening to it (except "Stronger Woman" which I've heard like a million times) until the end of the month because I'm getting it for my birthday and I want it to be a surprise, so that's why I won't be commenting on the new music until then. I think waiting just adds to the excitement.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
reggiedvd
JKF Member

reggiedvd Between 10 and 49 points

You're much stronger than me! Theres no way I could wait till the end of the month.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
artistindisguise
JKF Member

artistindisguise Between 0 and 10 points

wow i can barely wait til tuesday!

. . .
[[smocks are smexy]]
. . . pieces of us die everyday . . .
Eat the flesh
Spit out the seeds
artistindisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:22 AM   #4
wackyoverkhaki
Super JKF Member

wackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 pointswackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiedvd View Post
You're much stronger than me! Theres no way I could wait till the end of the month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistindisguise View Post
wow i can barely wait til tuesday!
Uh oh...looks like I'm gonna have to avoid the forum for awhile to avoid spoilers
Old 06-22-2008, 12:26 AM   #5
wackyoverkhaki
Super JKF Member

I ended up getting it as an early birthday present. I decided that would be a good idea since I was going on vacation and I thought the album would be just the thing. A lot of the songs were excellent and the best she's sang on a studio album in a long time...except the few tracks that I thought were the most mediocre were the very ones she decided to release as singles
Old 06-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
louloublu
Super JKF Member

louloublu Between 10 and 49 points

I'm so glad you got it as a present. I feel the same way about the album. Some good tracks and some meh! tracks. I didn't like it as much at first but several of the tracks have grown on me. Still, it's not Jewel's greatest album though.

"You thought I didn't notice the skin on your teeth had a tear."
louloublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

I think you'd be hard pressed to consider any of Jewels future albums to be better than Pieces of you.

Think about it. Most, if not all of us, fell in love with her listening to that album and none of her albums since have come close to that. They're good but they just don't come up to that level anymore. They are different and that doesn't mean worse or bad, it just means different.

I personally like all her albums except the christmas one and I like each one for different reasons but when we sit and compare them (which I actually hate to do), there is a different level of depth in the newer albums than in POY or Spirit.

In POY, there weren't a lot of 'love songs' on there but more 'life songs' and songs that really opened your mind and made you think. The current album are all love songs in ways. Where are the life songs?

Don't get me wrong. A lot of my absolute favourites are on the new album. The writing of them is simply amazing. However; the production overwhelmss them somewhat and I think some people will miss out of the sheer poetic genius in the lyrics they're listening to. I think that is a shame and I hope people sit there and pay attention to the breathtaking and beautifully emotional prose used to create these lovely songs.

I will always prefer a raw Jewel. It's what I fell in love with and it's what I will always go back to. I will always pick a raw Jewel song to listen to over an album produced version, with the exception of POY.

Just my opinion and I understand if people disagree with me. We have a lot of members here who first heard Jewel much later in her albums so they are already used to a more produced Jewel.

I'm happy to listen to anything she produces for us to listen and no matter what, I will always support her and any project she endeavours in the future.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:51 PM   #8
wackyoverkhaki
Super JKF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bird View Post
I think you'd be hard pressed to consider any of Jewels future albums to be better than Pieces of you.

Think about it. Most, if not all of us, fell in love with her listening to that album and none of her albums since have come close to that. They're good but they just don't come up to that level anymore. They are different and that doesn't mean worse or bad, it just means different.

I personally like all her albums except the christmas one and I like each one for different reasons but when we sit and compare them (which I actually hate to do), there is a different level of depth in the newer albums than in POY or Spirit.

In POY, there weren't a lot of 'love songs' on there but more 'life songs' and songs that really opened your mind and made you think. The current album are all love songs in ways. Where are the life songs?

Don't get me wrong. A lot of my absolute favourites are on the new album. The writing of them is simply amazing. However; the production overwhelmss them somewhat and I think some people will miss out of the sheer poetic genius in the lyrics they're listening to. I think that is a shame and I hope people sit there and pay attention to the breathtaking and beautifully emotional prose used to create these lovely songs.

I will always prefer a raw Jewel. It's what I fell in love with and it's what I will always go back to. I will always pick a raw Jewel song to listen to over an album produced version, with the exception of POY.

Just my opinion and I understand if people disagree with me. We have a lot of members here who first heard Jewel much later in her albums so they are already used to a more produced Jewel.

I'm happy to listen to anything she produces for us to listen and no matter what, I will always support her and any project she endeavours in the future.
The other night I fell asleep on the cottage patio listening to POY. It just blended with the scenery so well and I began to cry. That voice. If it weren't for POY, I wouldn't have given any of her other albums the light of day. She says she felt uncomfortable singing the way she did on the record, but when I saw her in concert during her This Way tour she sang just like she did on that record and sounded just as fresh and good. So why has she seldom used that vocal magic on her subsequent records? Just give the people what they want, Jewel. Why do you think it was POY that exceeded 10X platinum and not your others? I doubt she has a serious motive to make a ton of money again because it's the last thing she needs but what about artistic integrity?