The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Everything Else Jewel
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
dina
JKF Member

dina Between 0 and 10 points
Default jewel abused?

Even though Jewel claims she wasn't abused, I still have lingering thoughts that she was. I know she'd deny up and down that her song Daddy has nothing to do with the relations that her and her father have had, but I think otherwise. First of all, I know you can't take ALL her lyrics literally - she doesn't "smoke like a chimney and drink black coffee" like she says in her song, but I think there were tough times and fights perhaps. When I read her book Chasing Down the Dawn, she bathed once a week in this cummunal type of steam bath with all these neighbors. First of all, at her young age, she had no mom there or a sister - which just is naturally uncomfortable at those young teen years. I just have this feeling a sweaty neighbor guy was like "hey honey your boobies are getting bigger. COme and sit on Uncle Hairy's lap. ha ha " Yuk!! I can just imagine little poor Jewel being so alone and vulnerable. I have a feeling she was "man handled" by someone from that past. Not necessarily her dad or brothers, but maybe a neighbor? And maybe she resents that her father didn't protect her as much as she would have liked or needed? I don't know, it's speculation on my part. If you saw the stand she took in Washington D.C. for homeless kids recently she said something like "I ran away from home at 16 because I felt like I could do a better job raising myself." What do you think JKF members? I think something went bad in the past but she forgave them (he ? whatever) becuase it's so eveident in her strength. Here's another convincing thought... when women talk in a "little girl" voice - it's a strong indicator of abuse. In Pieces of You she really does sound like a hurt little girl a lot. As she's gotten older, and been with a man that she totally trusts (Ty) her voice sounds stronger and more womanly - which I think is an indicator of getting over her past. This is a topic of concern to me and it's near and dear to my heart.
dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:54 PM   #2
fabiojj
Super JKF Member

fabiojj Between 10 and 49 points

This is very disturbing. Why you wanna know that? I think it's none of our business and I certainly don't want to know about it unless it's from Jewel and with good reason.
fabiojj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:24 AM   #3
never.alone
Jessica

never.alone Between 50 and 149 points

I agree...

alone. always. alone. never. alone....

Come away O human child To the waters and the wild With a fairy hand in hand For the world's more full of weeping Than you can understand.
http://blog.myspace.com/butiwannaplay
never.alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:19 AM   #4
Lara
JK Fan n°1 in Croatia

Lara Between 0 and 10 points

Hmm...this is something really private, and no one should even speculate about it. But hey, Dina, you might have a point. In a Primetime inteview with Barbara Walters Jewel gets very uncomfortalbe when asked if she has been hit as a child. She answers: I won't go into details! And seems very hurt and they both remain in silence for a few seconds and then Jewel makes a joke Like "You're Barbara Walters, what's going on here?"...but it is evident that it's a delicate topic for Jewel.
I don't think Jewel was ever seriously abused, not that being hit isn't serious. hey, she was singing in bars since she was a llittle child...that must have been scary sometimes. But, as I said maybe we shouldn't speculate about such serious things as it is chid abuse, not on lyrics she wrote... I think Jewel wrote "Daddy" not as an autobiographical song, but as a more general one mabe thinking about all the terrible things going on in the world, or maybe it is about someone she knows, but not autobiographical, no...
Old 07-09-2007, 02:47 AM   #5
dina
JKF Member

Default I guess I felt I had a connection

That's true Lara. I forgot about that Barbara Walters special. I know it's disturbing but it was a curiosity because I have been placed in an abusive parent/sib relationship, and was hurt initiaally, but pulled through it, (the Song Daddy actually helped me - I didn't feel like I was the only one - and I didn't feel like I had to drown either, and Jewel pulled me through by her being such great living example of strength) and I kinda felt like Jewel may have been in a similar spot in some way - even if small. True or not, any young person can get courage and strength from such an incredible artist.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

One thing I've noticed about Jewel, she is very empathic. As a result, she is able to get a great insight into experiences that she has never had first hand and write about them as if she had.

Personally, I think this is a very private subject and I wouldn't care to speculate. But clearly, as per the Barbara Walters interview, Jewel feels this too and so we should respect that.

Even if something ever did happen, Jewel is far too courteous to ever name names or implicate anyone so long as they are alive. Perhaps if this we true, there is an element of protection from her part. But to be honest, I haven't a clue.

The song Daddy could be out of that very empathic side of Jewel. She has spoken in the past that this song was written out of the experience of a friend of hers. An easy excuse I suppose, if it were but it could also be true.

I'm sorry you've had to endure any form of abuse Dina, I know that is very hard. Finding solace in music is great and you should continue to do so and even if there is no founding behind the song Daddy, you should never dismiss how it has helped you.

Take care
Kiera

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
R*Philippines
I jewel everyday.

R*Philippines Between 50 and 149 pointsR*Philippines Between 50 and 149 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bird View Post
I'm sorry you've had to endure any form of abuse Dina, I know that is very hard. Finding solace in music is great and you should continue to do so and even if there is no founding behind the song Daddy, you should never dismiss how it has helped you.

Take care
Kiera
I strongly agree with Kiera... I admire you dina for being honest and for having the courage to speak what's on your mind.
I do really and you guys are all great.
Can I also add that Jewel must be very proud for having all of us ... I'm really proud to be on the forum with bunch of intelligent individuals.

Quote:
Lara
In a Primetime inteview with Barbara Walters Jewel gets very uncomfortalbe when asked if she has been hit as a child. She answers: I won't go into details! And seems very hurt and they both remain in silence for a few seconds and then Jewel makes a joke Like "You're Barbara Walters, what's going on here?"...
You can actually watch this interview on this video:
Satellite (Live)

Stay COOL !!!
RY
R*Philippines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
greenpoet
Amused by the Muse

greenpoet Between 0 and 10 points

For me, I would suspend any speculation about Jewel on that issue. I will just be contented with what our Jewel would share with us. Pain is universal and so as loneliness. She will always write anything that moves her and the pulse of humanity. As the saying goes, "we can never lived enough to have all the experiences in life, sometimes , we just have to learn from the experiences of others."

Thank you for being so transparent, Dina. I salute you for being honest and telling us that Jewel has touched you by her music. That only means, Jewel has done a great job as an artist and poet.

By the way, Happy birthday, ROY... CHEERS!!!
Then with you, I will always be."
greenpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:24 PM   #9
dina
JKF Member

Default I love this forum too!!

thank you Little Bird, Green Poet, and Roy for being supportive. I'm glad I don't feel so alone. Time to move on to a happier subject right? Perhaps some things are better left unsaid too. Sometimes I let the beans spill out, and I don't think too far ahead about how some people don't want to think about dark things. I understand. I'm pretty much over my past but sometimes it nudges me. Well, back to better topics and happier thoughts.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
Sonne
Super JKF Member

Sonne Between 0 and 10 points

Hi dina:
I really admire your strenght and you are right in keep thinking on happier things. Sometimes life´s hurt and I know it well but we must keep on fighting everyday so that our enemies doesn´t win the fight.
I wish you the best!!!
Take care, Sonne
Sonne is offline   Reply With Quote