The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Everything Else Jewel
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-23-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

DreamsLast Between 50 and 149 points
Talking Questions answered...by Jewel!

Got this on MySpace, part 2 of Jewel answering fan's questions:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...6128C628380982

Monday, October 23, 2006

More of YOUR questions answered by Jewel!
Jewel took some time to sit down and answer more of the questions that hundreds of you submitted last month to her myspace inbox!

Also if you haven't had a chance to check out her new video for "Stephenville, TX" be sure to check out the premiere exclusively on Yahoo Launch!
URL: http://music.yahoo.com/premieres

Reid asked: Obviously, 0304 was a stylistic departure for you. Do you regret any of the artistic decisions you made during that period, and, if so, what? What have you learned from them? Please be specific.

JEWEL: You know, it's funny I guess but 0304 is one of my favorite CD's I've made. I listened to it the other day and I still think it's really soulful and smart, personal writing. "2 Become 1" and "Run 2 U", "Becoming", "Haunted" and "Fragile Heart"- I'm so proud of them all-I hope everyone listened to the whole CD and didn't just succumb to the hype surrounding the album. And when I play Intuition live, I feel it fits in with all my other songs and the satire and irony seem very obvious. I really admire writers that are diverse so I pride myself on being able to write "Pieces of You" and "Love Me Just Leave Me Alone" and songs like "Break Me" and then "Intuition" and then ones like "Angel" that are old school country. I feel like all musical genres have integrity if you write with integrity. I always try to write a poetic, smart lyric and tell a story whether it's rock, pop, country or folk.

Aimee asked: You are the most remarkable musician I have ever seen live. You have such a warm, comfortable, and exciting stage presence. What do you do before the concert to get yourself in concert mode?

JEWEL: Thank you! I get bored easily so I love how every audience is different every night. I like to feed off of that, so that every show is unique to the audience. I really enjoy feeling all of you there. I get a lot out of it and I respond to it. I have always said I have the smartest, coolest fans. You guys are respectful and energetic you listen and value a kind of old school songwriting and performing in such a modern world- You guys help me keep going.

Jakeasked: What are your plans for the next few years now that your contract with Atlantic is over? Will you continue to put albums out or take another break?

JEWEL: Well, I have 3 CD's I want to make. A country album, an album of lullabies and a jazz standard type record, but I want to write the songs kind of Cole Porter style. I'd also like to do a "Nebraska" style CD with storytelling songs like "Rosey & Mick" and "A Boy Needs a Bike"

Adamasked: How much do you think art has an affect on the political mind of the nation? DO you ever get the feeling that celebrities aren't doing enough to educate the public on political issues?

JEWEL: Unfortunately sometimes I think celebrities try to educate the public instead of educating themselves first! Nothing is worse than half-baked good intentions that aren't well informed. I do think art has a very political or social element. It is one of the things that made me want to write and why my first song was "Who Will Save Your Soul" and not some "Oh Baby, Baby" type thing. That said, I think it's an artists job to raise questions, but not to tell people what to think. It should encourage people to think on their own. To me an artist shouldn't be the didactic.

Saúlasked: What inspired you to create "Punk Rock Angel Girl"?

JEWEL: I was an art major at the art school I went to for my junior and senior years of high school-so I like to draw. This was a fun way for me to write and draw and create a three dimensional story in a way a song never could. It's been a blast!

Jessasked: As an amazing singer/songwriter, you've gotten the opportunity to share the stage with other amazing singer/songwriter such a Bob Dylan and Rob Thomas. Who do you really look up to and who haven't you written with that you would really like to (one day)?

JEWEL: Well, Dylan once offered to write with me but I was to afraid to do it! Sometimes it's more fun to imagine how it would be, rather risk messing up actually doing it-talk about intimidating!

Thanks again to everyone who submitted questions for Jewel!

Old 10-24-2006, 01:04 AM   #2
fabiojj
Super JKF Member

fabiojj Between 10 and 49 points

I want that "Nebraska" CD!!!!!!

PS: What does this "Nebraska" thing means?
fabiojj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:24 AM   #3
Sitdogboy!
Super JKF Member

Sitdogboy! Between 50 and 149 points

LOL! "I want it!.... but.... what is it?"

Silly
Old 10-24-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
piecesofuk
JKF Member

piecesofuk Between 10 and 49 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiojj View Post
I want that "Nebraska" CD!!!!!!

PS: What does this "Nebraska" thing means?

I think she's referring to this... http://www.amazon.com/Nebraska-Bruce.../dp/B0000025T6

Chris.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:19 AM   #5
fabiojj
Super JKF Member

Wow! Always enlightening(sp?)! Thanx
Old 10-25-2006, 03:56 AM   #6
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

DreamsLast Between 50 and 149 points

I think a 'Nebraska'-style CD would suite Jewel just perfectly!! It could be sorta like a continuation of some of the alt-country things she was doing on the This Way album. As several of you already know, I like her music a bit on the country side!! It would be an album come true for me!
Old 10-25-2006, 04:00 AM   #7
last_dance_rodeo
Temporarily Absent Mod

last_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 pointslast_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 points

I think it's going to be great can't wait to see what she puts out.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:41 PM   #8
guitargirl
Members

guitargirl Between 10 and 49 points

Oh my God, Dylan and her would be great together!!
guitargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
fabiojj
Super JKF Member

I definately think Jewel should do a few duets in her country album. It could of course include her duet with Jason Michael Carroll (that is going to be in his upcoming album) or better yet, a new duet; the duet with Joe Firstman; a duet with Steve Poltz (they have written some country-ish songs in the past - they could write a new one!) and a duet with Rob Thomas! hehe... Maybe a little too much...