The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Jewel News & Tour
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
Sonne
Super JKF Member

Sonne Between 0 and 10 points
Wink Every Day Angels (Jewel´s blog)

http://www.jeweljk.com/?em1=1144_-1_...nt=jewels_blog

I tried to post it in here, but it (the stupid techno jaja) doesn´t allow it to me.
Sonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Sonne
Super JKF Member

Remember what Jewel said

Be kind to each other!!!

All fans can and MUST coexist!!!
Old 03-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Not sure why it wouldn't let you post. Here's Jewel's account. I'll follow with MrBB's next
Quote:
I’d like to tell you all the story of you

While I watched my own career blossom, I got to see the mirror image of my fans blossom, and we grew together, and because of each other.

When I was young and getting discovered, I was terrified of living in my car forever, but I was also terrified by fame. My solution? Make a folk album. I thought if I could have a career like my heroes John Prine or Tom Waits, with a cool cult following, and make a good living, then that would be the thing to do. Boy did I have no idea how far that folk album would take me.

Before I got discovered, reason I loved singing in the coffee shops in San Diego was because it made me feel less alone. When I sang on that tiny stage, I could see and feel the hearts of the few people who came to see me, and I could talk about my worst fears, my worst insecurities. I could express my rage and my doubt and my unabashed hope - all because I could see in the eyes of those listening that they felt the exact same way. A bond was formed when I sang, telling secrets on myself - that was special.

As you know, I grew up singing in bars, doing cover songs. I didn’t experience what I'm talking about here. When I sang my own songs and got to tell my own truth, it was like magic - it was like being in church. It felt like being forgiven. It was like confessing my sins, and for doing so, I was rewarded with the kindness strangers – offered, I suppose, because they saw themselves in me, too. It felt like medicine at a time when I so badly needed positive reinforcement. The more I told the truth, the better I felt, the closer people felt to me, and the less I felt alone. It was just a raw human experience.

I didn’t know that before I released my first album, there fans were already using the newly formed internet to spread the word about me. I just packed up my guitar, and began doing relentless tours that I called 'residency tours' throughout the country.

My idea was to try and recreate what I had done in San Diego, by playing the same coffee shop the same night of the week for a month in a given city. So I did this circuit that was grueling. I played the C’est What? Cafe in Toronto every Monday, Boston Kendel Street Cafe every Tuesday, The Last Drop Cafe in Philadelphia every Wednesday, The XX in NYC every Thursday, the book store every Saturday in DC, and then I would drive it all over again and do it every week for a month. I would then move to another region like the northwest, and do it all over again.

I only sang in front of a few folks, but I was able to form a small loyal following, provided they didn’t walk out during “Pieces Of You” (the most misunderstood, yet plainly obvious song I've ever written). The more I toured the more industry insiders told me I would never make it, I’d never get played on the radio, Nirvana and Sound Garden were God, and it wasn’t cool to be sensitive and care. I guess that’s when the fight came out in me. I had lived through hell, and I still found it in my heart to care and to have hope because the most genuinely desperate must. It’s the spoiled slackers, in my view, who could cling to their cool veils of cynicism, because they could afford to be cynical with their comfortable lives. I was on the edge of the abyss, and staring into it, I knew the only thing that would keep me from falling in and being lost forever was if I dared to have faith. I fought like hell for the right to hope.

The world was full of grunge bands and angst on TV and in the movies, but what I saw in front of me touring was different. I saw something different in the faces of those who I sang for. The tide felt like it was going to change, and the press just didn’t know it yet. People didn’t want to hurt- they wanted to feel better, just like I did. And just like me they were willing to fight for it. I began to feel like maybe I could beat the odds. Maybe, just maybe, I could stick my foot in the door of the male dominated music business, because I felt like I had a small but fierce army that was marching with me.

I began to hand out flyers after I sang, with local radio stations numbers on them, and I asked people to call and request me. I sang in college campuses everywhere I went, and passed out my flyers, and because of the web, I was aware that I was not alone. There were folks out there that cared about my music and about me, a complete stranger, and they were trying to help me. I began to call them my Every Day Angels and amazingly we were a force to be reckoned with.

As my career began to break, I became a bit scared. Fame really scared me because I had always been so introverted, and I was afraid I was creating a monster I may not be able to control. The media scared me, and I wasn’t sure how to interact with them. But my online fan community always let me be myself, and I tried to continue to tell the truth in my writing, and I began to feel I could have a two way conversation with fans as I grew bigger.

I realized IDOLOTRY is what scared me about fame, because it was jut that, an idle worship. It does not help anyone grow- the worshiped become frozen in a mythological caricature that was immovable, (and usually resulted in falling off said pedestal) and being a sycophant or worshipper of said idol offered no self-examination or self empowerment. I wanted a different relationship with my fans- one that empowered fans- one that let me off the hook! I wanted to be human and grow and make mistakes and be imperfect, and I wanted fans to rely and look to each other for answers to their hopes and prayers- not to me.

As I became successful, I was receiving gifts and so much love, and I felt like my life had turned around. I mean my life REALLY turned around! My fans and me really pulled it off, and I was safe, and comfortable, and I was being showered in gifts from fans. But I felt guilty, because I didn’t need gifts as much as other people in the world that I knew. I decided to ask my EDAs to take whatever they wanted to send me for my birthday, and instead give to someone who needed it. And in typical fashion, they went above and beyond by organizing the most amazing acts of kindness. Funds were raised to help a local San Diegan get a handy cap vehicle that was sorely needed. On my birthday I received a bound folder of page after page, documenting community service and charitable acts committed by my fans. It was the best present ever.

I even had an EDA who happened to be a lawyer help me with a lawsuit I was facing, when I desperately needed the help. He worked tirelessly in a time that was really hard for me. It was very touching.

Life being life, it never stays the same, and soon I experienced some of my hardest years around 2003 - and all I have ever been able to say about it was what I expressed in GOODBYE ALICE IN WONDERLAND. I lost faith for a while, and as my world seemed to shatter, I had to go back inside myself and try to challenge myself once again to find a way not to become cynical or bitter. I wanted to be stronger, not broken by what life had dealt me, but it took me a while to find my way out of a dark hole. I didn’t trust anyone, and while I still made music (because it still is what heals me) , I lost touch for a while with everyone but Ty as I tried to put myself back together again, and I'm glad to report, I feel good. I am not broken. We only are if we let ourselves be.

In just a few short years the current age of the internet is so exciting, as I feel I am able to return to a even more personal relationship with my fans, in an even more direct way.

There are many new fans that I have, and I want to welcome them. Some of you are country, some of you are pop and some of you are rock, with a secret soft spot for whatever it is I am - but all of you must love lyrics, otherwise you wouldn’t be here.

I want to introduce all my new fans to the best fan community I have ever heard about- and I want to invite you all to become EDAs.

I have created a Twitter account for you, and as you join it, you will be added to the list. Click HERE to follow.

I will commit to figuring out a date to do another free fan concert for you all, if you want to organize it yourselves again, (you guys want to pick a name?) We will work it around my schedule like last time of course, and I look forward to figuring out a good venue where and when that it can happen!

Lastly, as EDAs, I would like to share with you what I would like our call to arms to be:

Be kind to each other.

We have a rare community that is truly diverse - respect everyone's

differences here. No matter the political, religious or social

orientation, we are all the same and trying to figure life out.

Build each other up, don’t tear each other down.

This is a hard enough world; we can all use a place that’s positive.

Dare to be honest with each other; you will be rewarded for it.

Tell secrets on yourselves, you will feel much better.

Be miracles for each other.

This community is what you make of it. The charitable acts, and the course of the EDAs is up to you - it's yours. Some of you need jobs, while others may know someone who needs an employee. Some of you create artwork, while some of you may need a logo for your own business. Some of you need medical advice; some of you are doctors. And some of you need someone just to listen. Pay attention to each other, and if you run across something that’s easy to give, give it. We are all connected on this crazy web, and we can really take advantage of it. I can personally attest to the fact that profound change happens in small ways - and what you can do with your own hands is POWERFUL.

I look forward to more years of making more music. I really feel my best creative years are ahead of me, and with you guys backing me up, I feel confident there will always be a place for me.

Finally, below is some more in-depth info about the EDAs that Alan wrote, please feel free to read it if you want. Its really cool.

Lastly, I want to thank each of you, and especially my original EDAs for continuing to be a miracle in my life. I don’t think any of you will ever know how my life has changed because of you. I was no one special - just a scruffy kid that got turned away from a million places. You all made me feel special. It gave me courage and I began to dare to learn to shine my little light while I sang and when I wrote. I am no different than each of you. It sounds corny, but it's true - we all just need to dare to shine.

xxj

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
Little Bird
Administrator

This is Alan's section (MrBB)

Quote:
EDA History (originally written and posted in 1998)

In 1994, a couple of San Diego based members of an Internet discussion group that focused on women in music began a side discussion about the virtually unknown San Diego coffeehouse singer-songwriter, Jewel Kilcher. Upon hearing Jewel several months later at The Kendall Cafe in Cambridge, Jeff, tech-savvy listserv owner, was intrigued enough to create the first internet discussion group dedicated to the discussion of Jewel's music and performances. The jewel@smoe.org mailing list/discussion group, was officially launched the following day on Sunday, February 19th, 1995.

Like countless other Internet discussion groups at the time, the handful of initial subscribers enjoyed discussing their common interest and keeping each other informed. They also circulated taped live recordings and TV appearances (via snail mail, primarily) which gave them a wider perspective on Jewel's increasingly prolific output. Through these initial efforts and upon the release of Jewel's first album, more people became interested and within the first year, the list had grown substantially.

During that time, an organized effort to promote Jewel’s live appearances began and listmembers began relentlessly calling radio stations in support of Jewel's first album, which at the time, was going nowhere fast. Interest continued to grow and a handful of listmember fansites were created over the course of the next year or so, increasing her online presence. Jewel appreciated the support very much and referred to them as her "Every Day Angels,” a phrase taken from her song, “I’m Sensitive.” The name stuck and became commonly notated as EDAs.

Soon enough, EDAs began meeting each other at Jewel's performances and friendships beyond the daily email discussion began. The EDA numbers continued to grow through 1995 and early 1996, but unlike other rapidly growing Internet groups, the EDAs continue to be one of the most intelligent, inspired and friendly places anywhere on the Internet.

In mid-1996, a woman on the list suggested how enjoyable it would be if Jewel were to perform a concert exclusively for this discussion group. Timing was right. Jewel and her management agreed that this would be a fun idea. The subscribers were informed that Jewel would enjoy doing this provided the EDAs join her in Bearsville, NY (where she'd soon be recording) and organize all details themselves. After much organizational effort, a free private show was planned for July 18th, 1996 at The Bearsville Theater in Woodstock, NY. A second benefit show was also planned for the following night with all proceeds going to help the struggling Bearsville Theater.

Hundreds of EDAs from all over North America converged in Bearsville and spent several days camping together and experiencing two of the most diverse and engaging performances of Jewel's career. The EDAs named the event "Jewelstock" and they created t-shirts, buttons and came bearing gifts for each other in the form of music, food and drink. After spending three days and nights together, many attendees struck up permanent friendships and everyone who attended left Bearsville significantly moved by the experience and Jewel’s kindness. That such a diverse group of people could come together and create something so great, all of them motivated by love of music and a desire to share, without any monetary pressures or incentives, speaks volumes about what the EDAs are all about.

The dynamics of the discussion group were forever changed by the experience. Many EDAs began taking Jewel's lyrics to heart and manifested them in projects that helped to support each other as well as to promote volunteer work improving their own communities. The EDAs have accomplished impressive things over the past two years, many of which have been selfless acts of kindness that have had profound impacts on the recipients and the EDAs as a whole. A wonderful example occurred in conjunction with Jewel's 23rd birthday. Rather than send gifts to Jewel, the EDAs were encouraged to effect positive change in the world as their gift to Jewel. Sure enough, a perfect opportunity presented itself. The entire EDA list organized to help a severely injured hit and run victim from San Diego, who had no medical insurance. He was in need of a van outfitted with special lift equipment so that he could be mobile, return to work and resume a more enjoyable life. The EDAs raised several thousand dollars, which was donated to the fund and helped him accomplish these goals. San Diego area EDAs also took it a step further, by spending time with him, sharing favorite concert tapes, and bringing him to local concerts.

With the EDA numbers rapidly growing as Jewel's first album was taking off, several members began organizing a nonprofit foundation (Every Day Angels Foundation aka EDAF) which promoted and helped organize community volunteer work. These EDAs inspired many projects including blood drives, clothing drives, volunteer work at food banks, children's hospitals and shelters, among many other worthy endeavors.

EDA get-togethers have also taken on a life of their own. One notable form of these events is "The Living Room Tours" (aka LRTs). An ongoing project, where live performances are hosted at EDA homes, this has been remarkably successful. The basic concept is to book touring singer-songwriters directly into fans’ homes and promote the performances cost free via email directly to those interested. Nearly 50 artists have participated in the Living Room Tours over the past two summers and I’ve yet to hear any of them refer to it as anything but a positive experience. Having attended many LRT gigs and having hosted two of the largest ones on Cape Cod, I wish I could do nothing but LRT gigs! The concept dramatically changes the dynamics between performers and audience in a most positive way. The musicians seem to revel in the fact that everyone wants to listen and audiences experience an immediacy and connection not experienced in any traditional performance setting.

An annual EDA reunion in Bearsville has also been well attended and smaller EDA parties and get-togethers are increasingly common. EDAs often travel far and wide to attend these events. Thousands of lives have been enriched through the efforts of The EDAs. Many feel honored to be included and the recipients of The EDAs common good will. MrBB

MysteriousWisdom
Old 03-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Sonne
Super JKF Member

Maybe because it was very very long jeje. No, I tried to post it separately as you did, but I couldn´t.

Hi, LittleBird

Did I told you that I like that song (Little bird)? Very dramatic one, but I like it jeje

Take care
Old 03-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
Little Bird
Administrator

It's probably because it was too long. If you put it into quotes like I did, the software ignores the quoted text and so doesn't see your post being too long and just posts it.

Hope that makes sense.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 03-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
Sonne
Super JKF Member

jajaja I get you, but I quote it, just like you. I really don´t know why it didn´t let me send it, but well. We have it here to see, what more do we want?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

DreamsLast Between 50 and 149 points

Jewel has totally blown me away with these recent blogs of hers. This one made me tear up too! When she talks about the hard time in her life in 2003 and said she didn't let it break her....and her experiences documented in the GAIW album (as many of us fans suspected all along). The GAIW album touched me just as much as POY & Spirit in hear earlier years. One of my favs. I especially loved hearing her perspective on WHY she sang in those little coffee shops, and how she felt like a warrior of HOPE. I love that she never gave up hope, she came from such a tough spot in life and to see how far she has come and all the good she has spread because of it - well, I am just in awe of her ability to do just that. If we could all become warriors of hope, then maybe this world would be a little brighter...
Old 03-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
Sonne
Super JKF Member

That would happen of course, Dream If we will just think more with our hearts than with our mind.