The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Everything Else Jewel
Connect with Facebook

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

With thanks to Chris from Pieces of UK for this:

The tracklist for Jewel's new album Goodbye Alice in Wonderland has been made public by Atlantic Records. Here is the list:

I think this is the official tracklist for Jewel's new album (sourced
from Atlantic Records)...

1. Again and Again
2. Long Slow Slide
3. Goodbye Alice in Wonderland
4. Good Day
5. Satellite
6. Only One Too
7. Words Get in the Way
8. Drive to You
9. Last Dance Rodeo
10. Fragile Heart
11. Stephenville, TX
12. Where You Are
13. 1,000 Miles Away

The album release date is MAY 2, 2006 and her first single is Again & Again. Release date for the single is 27th February

Atlantic Website

With the exception of Jewel's Street Team Message Board, we appear to be among the first to make this information public!!!!

MysteriousWisdom
Old 02-16-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
General Joy
Members

General Joy Between 10 and 49 points

It's alright I guess... I was just hoping some of my favourites made the cut but they didn't. But I ain't complaining, I'm still glad those songs are on it and I'm realing looking forward to hearing a studio version of 'Last Dance Rodeo'. I don't like the live version of 'Where You Are' so I'm hoping the studio version will be different.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:29 PM   #3
Little Bird
Administrator

I see this as Jewel's Official Bootleg in a way. I feel it is a real tribute to fans too because these are among the most favoured of her Bootlegs over the years and now she has compiled them in a great way.

I look forward to hearing the 2 tracks I don't know and hearing the studio versions of the others.

Can't wait!!

MysteriousWisdom
Old 02-16-2006, 09:55 PM   #4
JC28
Members

JC28 Between 10 and 49 points

A little bit disappointed...there are too much bootlegs songs (like 5 or 6) and a reedition of Fragile Heart...

The concept is a little odd now seeing that most of the songs have been written for ages...

By the way i hope that the production of these songs woill be as good as the single and and the album title track :)
Old 02-16-2006, 10:18 PM   #5
Little Bird
Administrator

It just goes to show that the songs Jewel recently registered were not for the album, as we had previously thought. It makes me wonder what they are for??

To see more info on that Click Here

MysteriousWisdom
Old 02-16-2006, 10:30 PM   #6
JC28
Members

JC28 Between 10 and 49 points

Maybe B-sides of the singles??
Old 02-17-2006, 12:01 AM   #7
WhatWouldJewelDo
Members

WhatWouldJewelDo Between 10 and 49 points

THANK LORD!!!

i found about this tracklist about 3 weeks ago and i was told that i could not tell anyone. this secret was killing me! Im SOOO glad its all out in the open!!!!!!!!!!!
how 'bout me enjoying the moment for once
how 'bout unabashedly bawling your eyes out

thank you India
thank you terror
thank you disillusionment
thank you nothingness
thank you clarity
thank you thank you silence</span></span></span>
Old 02-17-2006, 12:34 AM   #8
Desolate1
Members

Desolate1 Between 10 and 49 points

don't get me wrong i'm all for a new album but i wanted a NEW album, i've heard over 3/4s of those already *sigh* :shudder:
Old 02-17-2006, 01:27 AM   #9
ShawnShamrock
Members

ShawnShamrock Between 50 and 149 points

OH Wow I heard alll but like 3 songs.
I'll be disapoointed if that is the offical tracklist I hope theres a bit of a change
Old 02-17-2006, 01:58 AM   #10
Desolate1
Members

Desolate1 Between 10 and 49 points

yeah, as have I, my exact point lordass
Old 02-17-2006, 03:28 AM   #11
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

I'm 100% thrilled
Old 02-17-2006, 03:36 AM   #12
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

I've heard all but 2 of the songs on there.

"words get in the way"
- which for some reason makes me think of "Shadows Play" do you think that's what it is?

and

"Only One Too"

Those are the only two I've not heard.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:14 AM   #13
So Pure
JKF Member

So Pure Between 10 and 49 points

http://www.atlanticrecords.com/jewel/about

1. Again and Again
2. Long Slow Slide
3. Goodbye Alice in Wonderland
4. Good Day
5. Satellite
6. Only One Too
7. Words Get in the Way
8. Drive to You
9. Last Dance Rodeo
10. Fragile Heart
11. Stephenville, TX
12. Where You Are
13. 1,000 Miles Away

From the remote tundra of her Alaskan youth to the triumph of international stardom, Jewel has traveled a singular road as an acclaimed singer, songwriter, poet, actress and painter. The three-time Grammy nominee, hailed by The Times of London as 'the most sparkling female singer-songwriter since Joni Mitchell,' nevertheless remains a unique and authentic artist, exploring fresh musical avenues for more than a decade that have taken her from the simplicity of acoustic-driven folk to the embrace of rock, pop, country, blues, jazz and classical influences. To date, Jewel has sold over 25 million albums worldwide, enjoying a career longevity rare among her generation of artists.

Whether alone with her guitar or fronting a band of ace musicians, Jewel has always been a charismatic live performer, earning the respect of other singer-songwriters such as Bob Dylan and Neil Young, who have invited her to open their shows. Her singular style and beauty continuously land her on the covers of such diverse magazines as Time, People, Entertainment Weekly, Vanity Fair, InStyle, Glamour and Seventeen. Stuff listed her among its '102 Sexiest Women in the World' while Blender went further, crowning her 'rock's sexiest poet.'

Jewel's personal odyssey, partly chronicled on her eleven-time platinum debut album, Pieces of You, comes to full flower in her new release, GOODBYE ALICE IN WONDERLAND, slated for release on May 2nd. Marking her first album in three years, her sixth all told, Alice is her most autobiographical work in more than a decade, tracing her path from the extreme solitude of Alaska to the extreme joys and pitfalls of fame. Its title also alludes to other fantasies: the fairy tales we are told in youth about life, love and friendship versus the more complex, and often disheartening, truth. With some songs freshly written, others drawn from her astounding catalog of nearly 500 original works, she explains, 'I spent a lot of time sequencing this album so each song sets up the next, like a novel with a beginning, a middle, and an end.'

Alice leads with the mid-tempo 'Again and Again,' a paean to the challenges and compromises of romantic love, which serves as the album's first single, set to hit the airwaves February 27. From the achingly poignant 'Long Slow Slide,' listeners are led further down a universal rabbit hole with the title track, 'Goodbye Alice in Wonderland' (for which Jewel shot an impromptu, highly personal video that premiered and had a limited run on her website.)

Accelerating into third gear, Jewel makes the most of her lyrical skills and malleable voice on Alice's middle group of songs: optimism trumping late-night worry on 'Good Day,' the satiric machinations of 'Satellite' (written at age 18 when she first visited Hollywood), the hook-driven pop anthem 'Only One Too,' the equally danceable 'Words Get in the Way' (with its subversive plea 'Tell your boss you're dead / Let's get back in bed'), and, taking her foot off the gas a bit, the plaintive on-the-road rumination, 'Drive to You.'

Jewel recollects her youth singing in seedy Alaskan bars, and the free-flowing style of her early, short story/poet years in 'Last Dance Rodeo,' segueing into 'Fragile Heart,' a more uptempo version of a song from her recent album, 0304. 'Stephenville, TX,' like Alice's title track, is at once an ode to hindsight reality and a Dylanesque diatribe on modern culture. In denouement, Jewel offers the quiet angst of 'Where You Are' ('I'm a princess and I'm locked inside a stone tower of song / I'm tryin' to write messages on the window / How I just want to be long') and the live-show favorite '1,000 Miles Away.'

Helping to make the recording process transparent, letting the emotion of each song shine purely, Rob Cavallo (Green Day, Goo Goo Dolls) shared a producer's role with Jewel, who credited him with giving her what she needed to carve Goodbye Alice in Wonderland like a master sculptor. 'We both saw the same figure inside the stone and I'm grateful that he knew how to get it out,' she says.

A native of Payson, Utah, raised in Homer and Anchorage, Alaska, Jewel (born Jewel Kilcher) was the descendent of homesteaders: her mother's family old-guard Mormon, her father's side Swiss 'futurists' who immigrated before World War II. Both of her parents, Atz and Nedra, enjoyed making local records and performing and, along with her brothers, Jewel (a moniker taken from her mother's family name) accompanied her parents on tours through native villages. 'At six I remember singing for Eskimos and Aleuts in remote places, taking dog sled rides through frozen tundra,' she says.

When her parents divorced, she spent more than a half-dozen years with her father touring as a duet act, starting at the age of eight. 'We sang in biker bars and lumberjack joints. If the cops were ever called, I'd hide in the bathroom till they were gone,' she says. At fifteen she went her own way, performing solo for the first time and earning a vocal scholarship to Interlochen, a private arts school in Michigan, where she also majored in visual art. It was here she learned guitar and began writing songs, inspired by a love of reading at a young age. 'Reading made me feel connected to the world,' she explains. 'The writers I returned to again and again were the ones that were brutally honest, willing to show themselves as heroic at times, grotesque at others. Anais Nin, Charles Bukowski, these were heroes to me.'

Heartfelt songwriting became not only an emotional outlet, but a means of survival. During Spring Break one year she took a train and hitchhiked in Mexico, earning money as a street-corner minstrel. 'I made up lyrics everywhere I went and eventually it turned into a very long song about what I saw around me,' she recalls. 'I made it back to school two weeks later with an unformed song called 'Who Will Save Your Soul.' She was sixteen at the time and had no idea that that song would, a mere three years later, become the first single from her first album, offering not just a day's meal ticket, but meteoric success.

Moving to San Diego, a series of unfortunate events led to living in her car and, after it was stolen, borrowing $1,000 from a friend to buy a van to live in. She got her first regular gig at a coffeehouse in Pacific Beach, where fans soon multiplied like rabbits, building a local cult following. Label A&R guys started coming as well, and Jewel was signed to Atlantic Records close to her 19th birthday. Her first record, a deeply introspective, live, voice-and-acoustic-guitar, modern folk collection called Pieces of You, sold about 3000 copies, nearly all in San Diego, in the nine months after its February 1995 debut. So Jewel hit the road with a vengeance, playing four shows a day in 40 cities. A 'folk singer at the height of grunge,' she was encouraged by two acts she opened for: Bob Dylan, who actively listened to her songs and discussed lyrics with her, and Neil Young, who gave the nervous solo artist a piece of advice at Madison Square Garden: 'It's just another hash-house on the road to success. Show 'em no respect!

Hard work and heartfelt songwriting ? not to mention an exquisitely expressive voice ? paid off. After a year on the road, 'Who Will Save Your Soul' became a major hit. And with the release of two other hit singles, 'You Were Meant for Me' and 'Foolish Games,' album sales went through the roof, as Blender magazine writes: 'With considerably less fuss, [Pieces of You] went on to exceed the sales of Nirvana's Nevermind, moving a phenomenal 11 million units.'

Jewel's subsequent albums steadily built her reputation and fan base. In November 1998 came Spirit, a collection of inspirational ballads aided by sparse, supportive instrumentation. The next November she offered up Joy: A Holiday Collection, blending well-loved Christmas carols with traditional spirituals and other songs, followed in Fall 2001 by the best-selling album This Way. In June 2003, her fifth work, 0304, premiered at #2 on the 'Billboard 200' chart, marking both the highest-debuting and highest-charting album of her career to date. Describing it as a 'modern take on '40s dance hall music,' Jewel brought dance beats, synthesizer flavors and layered vocal overdubs to the album, which included the Top Five hit single 'Intuition.'

Touring remains part of Jewel's essence and, through her U.S. and world tours, she has forged a powerful, intimate bond with audiences around the globe. Her extraordinary voice and engaging stage presence have earned her acclaim throughout North America, Asia, Australia and Europe.

Among her many accolades are three Grammy Award nominations, an American Music Award and an MTV Video Music Award. In 1999 she was presented the prestigious Governor's Award from the Los Angeles chapter of the Recording Academy (NARAS). The award recognizes those 'whose creative talents and accomplishments have crossed all musical boundaries and have been recognized as an asset to our music community.'

Her debut poetry collection in 1998, A Night Without Armor, quickly became a mainstay of The New York Times bestseller list, with 29 printings and a remarkable million-plus copies sold. The audiobook version received the 1999 Audie Award from the Audio Publishers Association. The following year saw the publication of her second book, the intimate journal Chasing Down The Dawn, a revealing chronicle of an artist's life on the road.

Jewel's full-length home video, Jewel: A Life Uncommon, offered an autobiographical documentary rife with live performances, archival footage of her upbringing and interviews with the people closest to her. In 2004 came her first live DVD, Live At Humphrey's, shot three years previously in San Diego, showcasing her boundary-crossing style in an intimate concert setting.

Her songs and ethereal voice have also accompanied several motion pictures including Clueless, Batman & Robin, Phenomenon, Life or Something Like It, Sweet Home Alabama (theme song) and Ang Lee's independent civil war drama Ride With the Devil, where she earned critical praise for her acting debut alongside stars Tobey Maguire and Skeet Ulrich. Becoming a staple on television, from talk shows to 'Saturday Night Live' and 'Mad TV,' Jewel also guest starred on the NBC drama 'The Lyon's Den,' playing a lawyer opposite series star Rob Lowe.

In 1999, with the wisdom that deeds mean as much as words, Jewel showed her desire to help those less fortunate through the establishment of a charitable foundation, Higher Ground for Humanity, to which she donates a portion of her income. Managed by her brother Shane, Higher Ground has assisted thousands of people in a dozen countries. Its main focus is the ClearWater Project, which organizes teams of scientists and engineers to bring safe, clean drinking water to impoverished communities worldwide: from Mexico to Africa, India to Tibet. Jewel also created Soul City Cafe, a multi-faceted program to expose and develop new talent in a variety of artistic media. The project included Soul City Cafe ArtBeat, a showcase for emerging musical and spoken word artists who performed with Jewel on her '02 tour.

Ruminating on an Alice in Wonderland theme, Jewel explains, 'The record business has been the little bottle of elixir that said 'Drink me!' and it has taken me on one hell of a wild ride. But that's a whole other story ? and maybe one left best for the record to tell.'

For more information on Jewel, please log on to www.jeweljk.com.
I know some artists prefer not to comment, but I've followed the US administration and I genuinely believe they've emotionally blackmailed and manipulated the American people. We're living in a frightening time... - Tori Amos
Old 02-17-2006, 11:24 AM   #14
R*Philippines
I jewel everyday.

R*Philippines Between 50 and 149 pointsR*Philippines Between 50 and 149 points

I never thought Last Dance Rodeo will be on the list. WOW!!! I just used it few days back in "Jewel Thought of the Day"... WOW again!!!!

Stay COOL !!!
RY
Old 02-17-2006, 11:41 AM   #15
Little Bird
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWouldJewelDo@Feb 17 2006, 01:01 AM
THANK LORD!!!

i found about this tracklist about 3 weeks ago and i was told that i could not tell anyone. this secret was killing me! Im SOOO glad its all out in the open!!!!!!!!!!!
I was in the same position and it was killing me. I am so relieved it's out not.

MysteriousWisdom
Closed Thread