The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Everything Else Jewel
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-03-2005, 04:00 AM   #1
MrCC
JKF Member

MrCC Between 10 and 49 points

Does this sound like a strong policy against taping of Jewel's shows or what? I was hoping for her to come out and say that taping of her concerts IS allowed as long as you don't make a profit. To me it sounds like a step backwards. The way it is worded sounds like it was pasted from another fan club.

The following statements are found at http://www.jewelunedited.com/fc/jewel/memb...ts/policies.htm :

Taping
Jewel does not allow audio taping at their live performances. Those found to be taping a live Jewel performance will be ejected from the premises. Selling or commercializing any Jewel recording is not authorized and is punishable by law.

Bootleg Statement
A notice to Jewel fans about Bootleg Recordings, Television and Radio Broadcasts:

The proliferation of commercial resale of concert recordings has become a concern to Jewel. Commercial bootlegs are not only excessively priced and of inferior quality, but primarily, they are illegal in use. We turn to you to assist us with putting a stop to this illicit use of Jewel' music. If you see Jewel music being used in a questionable manner, we ask you to notify us by fax. Please provide the date, time, station, program name and song used. And don't forget, the battle against bootleggers is an ongoing one. We still encourage you to fax us the name and locations of any retailers or distributors of bootleg CD's along with the titles and quantities in stock. With your help we can stop the flood of illegal recordings and preserve the integrity of Jewel?s work. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:57 AM   #2
Angel_Eyes
Members

Angel_Eyes Between 10 and 49 points

Yeah, I agree. I'd say it is just copy & pasted from another club because I somehow doubt Jewel would be that strict. Afterall, if it wasn't for people recording her shows since her Innerchange Days, most fans today probably wouldn't be big fans anymore. I can't even imagine not being able to listen to the majority of her unreleased songs. I understand where they're coming from though, but it doesn't seem entirely fair. I really wish Jewel could give an official opinion about it, but it's very doubtful that she can :(

Another thing that strikes me as odd is the "Jewel Productions" thing. I know that she's part of a business, but saying that audio, video, images etc. all belong to "Jewel Productions" sounds weird. Why don't they just say that they belong to Jewel, minus the "productions" part?

"I am a princess and I'm locked inside a stone tower of song.
Trying to write messages on the wind trying to send the message how I just want to belong.
"
Jewel - Choose Me/Where You Are
Angel_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:43 PM   #3
AmericanGirlFan
Members

AmericanGirlFan Between 10 and 49 points

Yeah, I think she is fine with the whole bootleg of concerts as long as you don't sell them for profit. She knows thats how she got her career going and she's not about to say it's no longer allowed. I think it still helps her career in a big way. She makes jokes about it all the time and tells people to get out their recorders. What she is against is people making copies and/or downloading her released cds. That hurts her record sales and effects how much money can be put towards promotion of her cds. I think there was a statement that she was like one of the most downloaded artists, but that was probably including all of her un-released music as well. So I am sure she is fine with the recording of concerts but she can't say so of course. Most people who tape the shows don't go and sell them. They just share them or put them up on the internet. She doesn't lose any money. It just spreads her music and creates new fans.
AmericanGirlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:38 PM   #4
MrCC
JKF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AmericanGirlFan@Feb 3 2005, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I think she is fine with the whole bootleg of concerts as long as you don't sell them for profit. She knows thats how she got her career going and she's not about to say it's no longer allowed. I think it still helps her career in a big way. She makes jokes about it all the time and tells people to get out their recorders. What she is against is people making copies and/or downloading her released cds. That hurts her record sales and effects how much money can be put towards promotion of her cds. I think there was a statement that she was like one of the most downloaded artists, but that was probably including all of her un-released music as well. So I am sure she is fine with the recording of concerts but she can't say so of course. Most people who tape the shows don't go and sell them. They just share them or put them up on the internet. She doesn't lose any money. It just spreads her music and creates new fans.
Well, I don't know about you, but I would be scared to tape a show after I paid $100+ to get in. I'm not sure I would risk it. I've have never taped a show, but I have considered it seriously. I've been to plenty of jam band shows where the audience members are encouraged to tape the shows. That's the direction I want to see Jewel go - perhaps after her deal with Atlantic she could get a new contract that allows it.

I like audience traded music. It's better than a studio release any day. I don't want to pay for it though. I want it for free. I am more likely to see a band when I think I can get an live recording of the show.

It's a proven fact that fan trading promotes concert sales and record sales.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:17 AM   #5
michaelsjewel
Member's

michaelsjewel Between 10 and 49 points

so where's this boot to put on the leg? lmao :rolleyes: :D :muhaha:
michaelsjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:03 PM   #6
MrCC
JKF Member

Here'a an article that talks about the fact that online file downloading does not affect record sales: .

http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5181562.html
Old 02-23-2005, 11:44 PM   #7
MrCC
JKF Member

Here's another:

http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/1084492882.html
Old 02-28-2005, 10:02 PM   #8
Intrepid Prez
Members

Intrepid Prez Between 10 and 49 points

__________________________________________________ __________

Umm... you're not trying to justify piracy AGAIN are you Mike ???

Australia is the home of Kazaa... and Kazaa's being dragged through
the Aussie court system right now. So, you'd better get over here
pretty quick and tell an Australian judge that piracy ain't stealing.

Or... they'll shut Kazaa down...

then, God forbid, you're gonna have to actually BUY all your music.

__________________________________________________ ___________
Intrepid Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:19 PM   #9
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

I <3 Piracy
Old 02-28-2005, 11:25 PM   #10
MrCC
JKF Member

I've bought all Jewel's albums and even some imports just to get one song. If they would just sell the instant live CD's I would buy every one.

And I love pirates too.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:14 AM   #11
Angel_Eyes
Members

Angel_Eyes Between 10 and 49 points

OMG IT'S PIRATE JEWEL! :omg: Sorry :P

Anyway, up until a couple days ago I didn't have any person to person program downloaded. While I was trying to find a certain video to no avail though, I finally broke down and downloaded WinMX... again. That's the only thing I'm going to use WinMX for, just download videos. I always have and always will BUY the albums. Even if I end up not liking it in the long run (and that has happened), I'll still keep it. I don't like how people think "oh, the artists and record labels are rich, they don't need the money", but if everyone thought that way then where would the artists, record labels and everyone working behind the scenes get their money? It's pure selfishness to think that way. If you're a poor college student then just don't buy the album, but don't download it either. If you're a child who can't get a job to buy the album then just ask for it for your birthday or a holiday. I know what it feels like to not be able to buy albums when you're young and don't have the money (for a few years I only had between 5 to 10 albums), but when I got older and got a job I was able to buy the ones I wanted. Last year alone I bought 17 albums just because I love the music so much, and I don't regret ever spending the money.

&quot;I am a princess and I'm locked inside a stone tower of song.
Trying to write messages on the wind trying to send the message how I just want to belong.
&quot;
Jewel - Choose Me/Where You Are
Angel_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:23 AM   #12
kjm030584

Mike
I'm thrilled you love that picture considering it took me less than a minute. :D

It's nice to know my work, even my sh :omg: tty work is appreciated.

-Kyle
Old 03-01-2005, 12:36 AM   #13
MrCC
JKF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kjm030584@Feb 28 2005, 05:23 PM
Mike
I'm thrilled you love that picture considering it took me less than a minute. :D

It's nice to know my work, even my sh :omg: tty work is appreciated.

-Kyle
Yea I forgot to credit you for creating the pirate Jewel avatar. Thanks for reposting it you scurvy lad. Arrrr. ;)
Old 03-01-2005, 12:49 PM   #14
Lissa
Members

Lissa Between 10 and 49 points

Does anyone know where I can find some new Jewel bootlegs? ^_^
Old 03-01-2005, 02:57 PM   #15
kjm030584

I have a few which ones are you interested in?

I have:

If my heart were made of gold
I belong with you
A Place in the Sun
Alice in Wonderland
Where you are

I think these are the most recent ones i have.