The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Everything Else Jewel
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-09-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

Article from: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1501427/2...?headlines=true

Jewel Says Her Cowboy Makes Her Art Seem Less Important
05.07.2005 9:52 PM EDT

Singer gearing up to record album with producer Rob Cavallo.

NEW YORK ? It's hard to believe from looking at her that it's been 10 years since Jewel released her debut album, Pieces of You. But the still-radiant Jewel Kilcher will tell you it seems even longer to her.

reflecting on my life so much, it's surreal," she said Tuesday night at the Candie's Foundation Event to Prevent, a benefit to raise awareness about the consequences of teenage pregnancy. "I went from butchering cattle and using an outhouse to doing big events and MTV."

When she heads back into the studio sometime in the next few weeks to start work on her sixth studio album, she'll have a wealth of material to pull from. Because for Jewel, writing isn't something that she does only when she has a record to do, it's something that she does all the time. When it's time for her to pull something together she can look back over her writing and see what speaks to her. "It's been a really hard couple of years, and it's been a strange couple of years, and my writing has really reflected it," she said of her stockpile of material. "I think the record will be a raw and emotional record that looks back on my life in a brutally honest way."

Dissecting things and writing about them is something that's in Jewel's nature. "I'm very overly analytical," she said. "I understand the compulsion. Charles Bukowski said if you took the writer away from his typewriter he'd only be left with the disease that made him write in the first place. That's me, for sure."

Helping her pull together the album will likely be producer Rob Cavallo (Green Day, Goo Goo Dolls). Originally due in September, the disc will probably be moved back a bit because Jewel wants to take her time with it. She and Cavallo have a week's worth of dates set up to work together, and she is excited to see how it will go. "He's a rock producer and I'm not going for a rock record," she said. "I'm going for a really raw record, but talking to him, I really think he gets what I'm into and he gets the influences that I like. I think I'll do a great and really different record for him and I hope it'll be a great, new and different record for me."

Jewel's last album, 2003's 0304, which spun off the top-10 dance hits "Intuition" and "Stand," is her favorite record to date, despite some of the confusion her satirical video for "Intuition" caused with some critics (see "Jewel Bites Into A Musical Pickle-And-Peanut Butter Sandwich"). Promoting herself has always been the hardest part of the job, Jewel said, and for her, the solution may be to continue to write for other artists. She recently submitted a song to Hilary Duff and is open to doing more songwriting for others.

"I've been off the road for a while and I have not been in a hurry to go back," she said. "I'd rather write. I'd rather do something creative than bust my ass and travel and try to promote [my music] to radio when I can have other people [I write songs for] do it for me. I can go and write other styles without getting the third degree about 'what a different style.' "

Being out of the spotlight for chunks of time is fine with Jewel, who finds that simple things make her happy. She recently bought a little two-bedroom house in Los Angeles for work-related convenience, but she says that she's happy working with horses with her boyfriend Ty Murray (a champion rodeo cowboy) on his ranch in Texas. She's also having fun writing short stories.

"I used to think that art was the be-all and end-all of life," she said. "I used to think it was more important than love and more important than anything, but I don't feel that anymore. I feel like if I applied myself I could be a lot better than I am, but I love spending time with my boyfriend and I love to spend my time learning other things, so I'm willing to let some things go."

? Carolyn E. Davis
Old 05-09-2005, 05:09 PM   #2
kjm030584

Quote:
Originally due in September, the disc will probably be moved back a bit because Jewel wants to take her time with it.
That's just dandy!

Quote:
"I used to think that art was the be-all and end-all of life," she said. "I used to think it was more important than love and more important than anything, but I don't feel that anymore. I feel like if I applied myself I could be a lot better than I am, but I love spending time with my boyfriend and I love to spend my time learning other things, so I'm willing to let some things go."
I don't know... in the future when I buy one of Jewel's cds I want it to be her singing. Well, I guess whatever floats her boat. I just hope she's not going to quit doing shows.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
ShawnShamrock
Members

ShawnShamrock Between 50 and 149 points

B) I don't think the record wil be pushed back too much..
They are aying she is just starting it when she has been working on it.
ShawnShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:05 PM   #4
MrCC
JKF Member

MrCC Between 10 and 49 points

YeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ;)
Old 05-10-2005, 12:19 AM   #5
kjm030584

I really hope she doesn't turn into the typical texas red neck. That will be the end of it all. She went from a sweet intellectual girl trying to make her way through life in San Diego and is moving towards an unintellectual Texan. *Shudders* Jewel should not be a red-neck, I will seriously have to kill myself if that ever happens. :( She can castrate all the animals she wants but the minute she gets a mullet I'm flying down there and straightening her out. This happened to one of my friends when I was in middle school.. he moved to texas for 3 years and when he came back he was completely different. He was all about the confederate flag and burning stuff. Texas is EVIL, EVIL!!!! :devil1: :devil1:

Rodeos are evil and cowboys.... well just don't get me started.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:43 AM   #6
ShawnShamrock
Members

ShawnShamrock Between 50 and 149 points

I'm not a fan of texas myself
Look at george bush
Let's hope Jewel doesn't ever turn out like him
ShawnShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:14 AM   #7
MrCC
JKF Member

MrCC Between 10 and 49 points

The way I see it there are two kinds of country music. The kind that makes you smarter,and the kind that kills your brain cells. As long as you are discriminating, you can live for years listening to nothing but country music without doing any permanent damage. Here's a basic rule of thumb: If it's about rednecks, trucks, dogs, or Texas it's generally the bad variety. It's kind of like the good cholesterol/bad cholesterol thing.

Jewel's country is definitely the good kind.

Speaking of bad country music, I recently aquired a mint vinyl copy of an Atz and Nedra Kilcher's 70's LP. Wow. It's interesting to say the least. Anybody else out there EVER even heard this thing? There's a truck driving song on there that is quite the piece of work. Let's just say that Jewel is greater than the sum of her parts. I actually like it, but I like a lot of strange things. :)
Old 05-11-2005, 01:30 AM   #8
michaelsjewel
Member's

michaelsjewel Between 10 and 49 points

i thought jewel was originally producing the album herself??????? i'm guessing she already tried the album and atlantic rejected it like they said back in jan...... poor thing
michaelsjewel is offline   Reply With Quote