The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-24-2007, 06:01 PM   #46
Banned

007 Between 50 and 149 points

I just stumbled on this thread. Well, it isn't even my brithday for a while yet!

Now, why didn't anyone tell me about the off topic thread about tlaking about anything I want.

Well, here goes this can of worms.

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

That reminds me of a time when I totally embarrassed my supposed girlfriend at dinner, and told her out of the blue:

I don't think we should see each other anymore.
SHe said, "But your friends are my friends and my friends are your friends. I don't think it would work.:
I retorted: I know that your friends are my friends and, uh... I thought about that. You can have'em.
SHe: You're serious? what about he past? Our past?
I told her we nevered really shared one.

So she called me inhuman and I told her I was in touch with my humanity. I went to leave the restaurant, because she made this crying bout scene. SHe asked where I was going and I said "I'm just leaving." Sh insistently wanted to knwo where, and I said "I have to return some videotapes."

HOW CLASSIC! Pure Bateman.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote