The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Everything Else Jewel
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Sam78
JKF Member

Sam78 Between 0 and 10 points
Default Possible Singles?

She's been performing ABY along with ID recently. I'd personally really like to see ABY released--maybe as we move into the fall, as a third or fourth single. I think it shows some of Jewel's better songwriting and a strong grasp of "real" country (as opposed to "Shania" country, into which category I think ID falls). I also think if ABY were to perform reasonably well on the country charts, it could set JEwel up for a country song or female country vocal grammy nod--and perhaps even a win.

But I also know Jewel's mentioned wanting to release 2B1 as a single, which I think would be a horrible mistake.

I'd also like to see TIFLC released, and (even though I know most of you hate it) R&M.

What do y'all think?
Sam78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
mjuehl3
JKF Member

mjuehl3 Between 0 and 10 points

I really want TIFLC to be released. i think it would do well. I agree with you about 2B1. I feel like she needs to release more of a slower tempo song because SW and ID were obviously really upbeat, so she should release something that sounds different than the first two. I like "anyone but you" a lot but i don't know if mainstream country people will like it. But, I wouldn't complain at all if she picked it

Those are just my thoughts though and I really don't know anything about the music industry so I could be completely off.

I think this is a good thread to get started because I have been wondering what single she will release after I Do. Way to go!
mjuehl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
Sam78
JKF Member

Sam78 Between 0 and 10 points

Thanks!

I think this could be Jewel's first album since POY to have its second or third single perform better than the lead single, but it all depends on choosing correctly. I think she needs to fight her recent tendency to release the pop-leaning filler from her albums and stake out a position in the folk-leaning area of country music to really succeed.

Jewel is just not going to have a massive Before He Cheats-type crossover hit, and if she goes too poppy with her singles, country will turn its nose up at her and she'll be stuck in the middle without a fan base or radio play. ID is almost a little bit risky in that regard, but I'm happy to see that she's working hard to pimp the song out everywhere right now (and I'm happy to see that Valory is supporting her in a way that Atlantic never really did), and I think that could make a big difference in how it does.

So that's why I think ABY could be a good choice: it may not have a great chance to be huge, but it throws the country critics a big slab of red meat, it reminds the public of Jewel's strengths--songwriting and storytelling--and it places her firmly in her own niche in the country world, which she can then develop and grow in over the following singles and/or albums. ABY in the early fall and TIFLC after that could be a really smart way to introduce her to the format and take her into grammy season.
Sam78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:50 AM   #4
go_team_asia
JKF Member

go_team_asia Between 10 and 49 points

I think Jewel NEEDS to release either Anyone But You or Till It Feels Like Cheating for her to be taken seriously as a country singer. I really like I Do, but its not really a country song to me. ABY or TIFLC will establish her as a singer who can make great country songs too. I personally strongly dislike ABY, but TIFLC is growing on me a lot so I would prefer for her to release that one.

Of course, it would be my dream for her to release Perfectly Clear or Thump Thump as a single, but I don't think that's very realistic
Old 06-20-2008, 03:24 AM   #5
dyw2play
JKF Member

dyw2play Between 10 and 49 points

Well, I Do is growing on me since the Leno performance. Anyone But You may sound "too country" to get played. But I think Til It Feels Like Cheating would be a good third single coming out in the fall. As far as anyone pop crossover success, I think that's the last thing her and the label are looking for. This album is being promoted as an album that she's been wanting to do so long, and she's been trying to get Atlantic to let her do some country songs. A lot of questions were raised if she's really "country" or if she crossed over to get more airplay. (which, I myself, questioned). If she has the intent of a single being pushed to pop stations as well, its going to look like she'll take the radio play however she can get it, and country radio will tell her to f-off.
dyw2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:26 AM   #6
JewelWiki
JKF Member

JewelWiki Between 150 and 249 pointsJewelWiki Between 150 and 249 pointsJewelWiki Between 150 and 249 points

She seems to be pushing Anyone But You a lot recently... seems she's performing it almost as much as I Do! Let's hope for that as the third single.

BTW, as a side note, you can go to Valory's website and vote for what your favorite track is off the album...maybe they're gaging what the third single should be?

http://www.thevalorymusicco.com/
Old 06-20-2008, 03:44 AM   #7
fabiojj
Super JKF Member

fabiojj Between 10 and 49 points

hmm... I wanted to pick Perfectly Clear! Well, out of that list I picked Anyone But You...

My favorites on the album are PC and Everything Reminds Me of You. I'd love to see her release them both next and surprise everyone! I doubt Anyone But You will be released. I think it's great that she's performing it a lot, I think people should definitely listen to it, but it would fail miserably at radio IMO. Til It Feels Like Cheating is probably my least favorite song on the album, but I could see it as a hit. Still, I'd love to see PC be the 3rd single.
fabiojj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
warhero200@hotmail.com
JKF Member

warhero200@hotmail.com Between 0 and 10 points

i think everything reminds me of you is similar to anyone but u in tempo, but much easier to be accepted by more people listening to country n adult contemporary. isnt it? i wonder why she doesnt choose to perform that on her live shows
warhero200@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:15 AM   #9
wackyoverkhaki
Super JKF Member

wackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 pointswackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 points

Sam, you stole the words right from my mouth! I was just going to make a post complaining that "Anyone But You" should be the song released as a single. It's so beautiful and it sounds like real country- reminds me a bit of LeAnn Rimes from her Blue days. That's an automatic hit right there. Other good choices for singles would be "Everything Reminds Me Of You", "Loved By You (Cowboy Waltz)" and "Till It Feels Like Cheating". I can perfectly envision all of those songs doing really well on country radio and Jewel uses her vocal gift in those songs. In "Stronger Woman" she consistently uses her monotonous thin voice throughout the whole song which really irritates me. If it wasn't her choice for her first single then it wouldn't bother me. She's picking all of the wrong songs for the singles. As talented a musician as she is, she's still pretty clueless when it comes to marketing her music and representing it well.

Maybe we should start a petition demanding that "Anyone But You" be released as a single? But then we all know how well my last petition went