The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-11-2005, 03:02 PM   #16
LonelyLullaby
Members

LonelyLullaby Between 10 and 49 points

aw :) No problem I hope you liked what they meant
And my name got chosen by a book
My mother read "The Gadfly" and fell in love with the character.. hence, Gemma
LonelyLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:15 PM   #17
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

Hmm, had I been born a boy, I would be Gunna Toivo...after my great, great grandfather-can't get any more Fin than that!
Hmm, I wonder how badly I'd have been teased? :dunno:

Andrea

and by request of my OTHER daughter, Corinne, here is "Mr. Fire Man" again :devil1: :banana: that one is for me

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:37 PM   #18
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

Yeah... it's Kyle.

Thanks Ms. Lullaby. I've never heard that interpretation. I've always heard the one about being princely and one with god and all the other junk. I like the one you found better.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:55 PM   #19
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

well if we're talking about our actual names now then most, if not all of you know mine. It's Kiera, which is the British way to spell the more Irish Traditional name Ciara. Pretty much it is the female version of Kieran. It's quite a rare spelling and have only come across it here about 2 or 3 times in my life.

My online name little_bird or eanin_beag as it is in Irish comes from what my grandfather used to call me from time to time as a child. A friend of mine started to call me this a couple of years ago after telling her that so it remained as my online alias.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:41 PM   #20
LonelyLullaby
Members

LonelyLullaby Between 10 and 49 points

Kyle I'm glad that you like it :)

Quote:
well if we're talking about our actual names now then most, if not all of you know mine. It's Kiera, which is the British way to spell the more Irish Traditional name Ciara. Pretty much it is the female version of Kieran. It's quite a rare spelling and have only come across it here about 2 or 3 times in my life.
Oh, then I've been looking in all of the wrong places. Ciara- (Irish) Black
Found it. I haven't seen your name in the variations list but I guess yours was translated.. And I can see how the nickname little bird would fit you ;)
And Andrea since your daughters love the Fire man: :devil1: :devil1:
LonelyLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:39 AM   #21
never.alone
Jessica

never.alone Between 50 and 149 points

this thread has jones written all over it

alone. always. alone. never. alone....

Come away O human child To the waters and the wild With a fairy hand in hand For the world's more full of weeping Than you can understand.
http://blog.myspace.com/butiwannaplay
never.alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:43 AM   #22
strengths.with.faults
Robbie

strengths.with.faults Between 0 and 10 points

i was jus lookin at this and thought of Jonsey or "Vincent"
Old 03-09-2007, 04:22 AM   #23
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

DreamsLast Between 50 and 149 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bird View Post

My online name little_bird or eanin_beag as it is in Irish comes from what my grandfather used to call me from time to time as a child. A friend of mine started to call me this a couple of years ago after telling her that so it remained as my online alias.
And it's rather ironic that 'Little Bird' is ALSO a title of a Jewel song!!
Old 03-09-2007, 07:53 AM   #24
Little Bird
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsLast View Post
And it's rather ironic that 'Little Bird' is ALSO a title of a Jewel song!!
It is a mad coincidence really but totally true. My grandfather didn't actually call me 'Little Bird', he called me 'éanÃ:censored:n beag' which is little bird in Gaelic.

About 4 years ago, after a conversation with a friend of mine, she happened to refer to me as a little bird and said I was like an 'éanÃ:censored:n beag' which immediately spurred on the revival of this nickname.

It was long before this place and before any Jewel forum that I used this username. My husband runs a forum Enigma Message Board. I am Little Bird there too and so when Unedited came around in the Fansrule days, it seemed logical to use the same screen name. It's now stuck.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 03-09-2007, 11:29 AM   #25
greenpoet
Amused by the Muse

greenpoet Between 0 and 10 points

My name is macel.
greenpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:16 PM   #26
motoslam
mo

motoslam Between 50 and 149 points

sweet now i kno peoples names lol
im Mo btw
Old 03-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #27
wackyoverkhaki
Super JKF Member

wackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 pointswackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 points
Smile

Melinda. Middle name's Mae. I used to hate my name but now I LOVE it! I used to hate those kind of names but now I like those old school feminine names. It's better than Apple, Latrina (Latin for "toilet" by the way), Moon Unit, Dakota, or Jazzzmyne with 3 z's or whatever. It seems like every female in my family's middle name is either Mae, Mary, or Marie. I like those names, but how about some variety? And for the boys it's always Geoffrey, Jerome or Curtis, I mean, c'mon...it's like a cult-no variety! Naming habits in my family die hard, but like I said, they're not too bad and could be waaaay worse lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bird View Post
It is a mad coincidence really but totally true. My grandfather didn't actually call me 'Little Bird', he called me 'éanÃ:censored:n beag' which is little bird in Gaelic.
That's really neat. How many folks in your family actually speak Gaelic? Is it only a small minority in Ireland that can speak it, or are many of the people there bilingual? I also heard that there's an Irish minority that lives in the country that speak Gaelic as their first language and don't even speak English at all. Is that true? I personally think Gaelic is a beautiful language and think it should be preserved. I was always interested in taking it as a foreign language in school but they never offered it.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #28
Little Bird
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyoverkhaki View Post
That's really neat. How many folks in your family actually speak Gaelic? Is it only a small minority in Ireland that can speak it, or are many of the people there bilingual? I also heard that there's an Irish minority that lives in the country that speak Gaelic as their first language and don't even speak English at all. Is that true? I personally think Gaelic is a beautiful language and think it should be preserved. I was always interested in taking it as a foreign language in school but they never offered it.
Yep, Gaeilge (the 'real' name for the Irish form of Gaelic, and is pronounced gail-ga) is taught in schools here from our very first day. It is an very difficult language and therefore, only about 33% of Irish people can speak the language 'fluently'. I happen to have the best proficiency of Irish in my family though I am not compelely fluent, I still have more Irish language than most people I know. My mother would be very good at it too though both of us are out of practice.

Many areas on the west coast of Ireland are mainly Irish speaking. Those regions are known as the Gaeltacht (pronounced gail-thocked), mainly parts of Galway and Clare and Kerry but some amaller parts of Mayo, Sligo and Cork also are mainly Irish speaking areas. There are some of those areas that refuse the English language but you'll find that mainly from the older locals there and are few and far between. But Irish would be the primary language spoken there.

I adore our native language and my mother and I have often thought about going back and learning it fluently. We are teaching it to my 3 year old niece now. It's good to teach her early.

If you ever get the opportunity, please consider learning it. It is a very old language and we are trying to preserve it.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 03-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #29
Banned

007 Between 50 and 149 points

You're right, this thread does have me written all over it, but I'm not selling out.

Call me what you will, because I'm not giving you my real name. So, you'll just have to stick with 'Jones' as an acceptable substitute.

Anchors Aweigh.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #30
strengths.with.faults
Robbie

strengths.with.faults Between 0 and 10 points

yea well that's what we call you already. what else is there so we can "call you what we will" or so to say.. ???