The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Everything Else Jewel
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-09-2007, 04:43 AM   #1
wackyoverkhaki
Super JKF Member

wackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 pointswackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 points
Question album versions vs. radio remixes

Gotta question: If Jewel remixes some of her songs, why doesn't she just record them the way she wants on the album? I know she rerecorded YYMFM and "Foolish Games" because she said she was pressured into singing in a way that made her feel uncomfortable and strained, but what's up with "Jupiter", "Break Me" and "This Way"? The album version of "This Way" actually sounded way better as well as more radio-friendly than the radio remix! The radio remix sucked in comparison.

So anyway, here are my opinions of her remixes, what do you think?:

You Were Meant For Me- The radio version is definitely my favorite, although I still like the album and Juan Patino versions. The JP one was very...interesting!

Foolish Games- I like the album version better- it sounds prettier. The radio version was ok, but sounded a bit too overproduced and some lines were even edited out to shorten it!

Jupiter- The radio version is ok, but I definitely prefer the acoustic album version by a long shot. So enchanting.

Break Me- I liked the remix the best and I think it did the song more justice; the album version was a bit bland.

This Way- like I said before, the album version is tops and the radio remix just plain sucks. She may have had more success with this single if she left it the way it was. I actually never heard "This Way" played on the radio but I listened to the remix and watched the video online.

Couple more questions: I own an import EP of Morning Song with two beautiful remixes- a "radio" mix and a reggae mix. I don't recall ever hearing "Morning Song" on the radio- was it played in Germany though?

Was "What's Simple Is True" actually a single that was played on the radio? I know there's a video for it and it's on the Ride With The Devil soundtrack, but I hear that there's a "radio remix" of it? Is that true because if my ears are right in the video the album version is played. And was this song actually on the radio because I never heard it. The only Spirit songs I've heard played on the radio are "Hands", "Down So Long", and "Jupiter". And was the live version of "Life Uncommon" just released on a CD single or was that played on the radio too?

Ah, so many questions;-D
wackyoverkhaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Sitdogboy!
Super JKF Member

Sitdogboy! Between 50 and 149 points

the Jupiter single music was 10 TIMES better! When I heard it on the album I thought "meh", but when I saw the video! I loved the music! Ohhiohhh ohhhiohhh!

Was the What's Simple Is True music different? The music for thr radio was the same music for the video, correct?
Old 02-09-2007, 11:30 PM   #3
wackyoverkhaki
Super JKF Member

wackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 pointswackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitdogboy! View Post
the Jupiter single music was 10 TIMES better! When I heard it on the album I thought "meh", but when I saw the video! I loved the music! Ohhiohhh ohhhiohhh!
I guess I'm in the minority here;-) And the video was awesome! Since you love the single (in case you don't already know this otherwise quit reading) it's available on this EP:
http://www.amazon.com/Jupiter-Swallo...e=UTF8&s=music

The EP also includes a beautiful live acoustic version of "Deep Water" and the song "Emily" (also on Phyllis Barnabee Finally Gets A Bra and the vinyl Pieces Of You). Jewel's EPs are great and definitely worth owning; I bought most of my EPs on Amazon. The prices fluctuate, so wait for a good deal.

Quote:
Was the What's Simple Is True music different? The music for thr radio was the same music for the video, correct?
I never actually heard WSIT on the radio so I wouldn't know; that's why I was asking. But the one played in the video is definitely the album version. I just find it a little odd that there's a "radio remix" because usually if there's a radio remix then it's the same recording played in the video.

Last edited by wackyoverkhaki; 02-09-2007 at 11:50 PM.
wackyoverkhaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
Sitdogboy!
Super JKF Member

I really love Deep Water. Though, making love to a wall? I dont get that. Like a glory hole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyoverkhaki View Post
Break Me- I liked the remix the best and I think it did the song more justice; the album version was a bit bland.
Yes! I heard it live on the dvd and thought "This is a great song!". I didnt even notice it on the CD.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
motoslam
mo

motoslam Between 50 and 149 points

I like the radio version of Jupiter better, its more powerful in a way.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
M€RIO
aUsTrIaN kIlChErIaN

M€RIO Between 50 and 149 points

The Radioedit of Whats simple is true is different!!!! There are guitars in the backround, percussion was added and the strings had more to come in that version. I love the jupiterradioedit its 100 times better than the albbumversion =) in my opinion.

~i wanna pilot a plane with you

~so all our problems look small too

~i
ts just an inch from me to you
~depending on what map you use

*jewelonpianoandmore=)*
M€RIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
nikos_
Yes, Im Mr Brightside

nikos_ Between 10 and 49 points

You were meant for me: The radio version is MUCH BETTER !!!

and i love This Way radio version, i used to hate that song because i thought that it was boring but when i heard the radio version... i fell in love lol

nikos_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:38 AM   #8
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

ItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 pointsItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 points

While I like how rock-ish the radio version of YWMFM is, I don't like the extraction of the "dreams last so long" verse... it annoys me that it's gone b/c that's one of my fav lines.

As far as the other remixes and edits, I'm not particularly moved by any of them accept that Jupiter is better than the album version (not that I don't enjoy the album version) I just like how enhanced it is on the radio version.
The only other remix I really love is the Pull Club Mix of Only One Too because it totally reconstructs the song (and I know I've already said this in about 20 other threads haha but oh well, it is an awesome remix)

so close no matter how far
couldn't be much more from the heart
forever trusting who we are
and nothing else matters

ItBeThatWay27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:30 AM   #9
never.alone
Jessica

never.alone Between 50 and 149 points

i really really love one of the remixes of only one too but i dont know what its called sorry....
i havent really listen to the rest of the only one too remixes cos that was the only one that really caught me

alone. always. alone. never. alone....

Come away O human child To the waters and the wild With a fairy hand in hand For the world's more full of weeping Than you can understand.
http://blog.myspace.com/butiwannaplay
never.alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:33 AM   #10
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

ItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 pointsItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 points

I also think the DJ Volume mix of Only One Too is awesome. Most people like the Lenny B Club Mix, maybe that's the one you heard Jessica?

so close no matter how far
couldn't be much more from the heart
forever trusting who we are
and nothing else matters

ItBeThatWay27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:17 AM   #11
spacedogpie
JKF Member

spacedogpie Between 0 and 10 points

No one will probably see this, but I'll give it a try. I'm looking for the Radio Remix of "This Way" (or a good quality vid) and have been looking for it for a long time. I have the radio remixes for some singles such as "Good Day" and "What's Simple Is True."
Thank you in advance to whoever helps me.
spacedogpie @ yahoo
spacedogpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:22 AM   #12
ShawnShamrock
Members

ShawnShamrock Between 50 and 149 points

[QUOTE=Sitdogboy!;17544]I really love Deep Water. Though, making love to a wall? I dont get that. Like a glory hole?

OMG I THOUGHT THE SAME THING!!!!

HA HA HA

On a side note I love all the radio remixes way better
ShawnShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:07 AM   #13
Sitdogboy!
Super JKF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordassmonkey View Post
Quote:
I really love Deep Water. Though, making love to a wall? I dont get that. Like a glory hole?

OMG I THOUGHT THE SAME THING!!!!

HA HA HA

On a side note I love all the radio remixes way better

Oh my god, did I really say that! lol! xD I dont remember ever thinking that, but its hallarious, and totally something I would say :P
Old 09-01-2009, 03:24 AM   #14
ShawnShamrock
Members

ShawnShamrock Between 50 and 149 points

Then again who i sleeping where there are Glory Holes... Unless you are homeless!! Maybe there is all a deep connection after all
ShawnShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #15
Sitdogboy!
Super JKF Member

Hmmm.... maybe passed out in a public bathroom?

Could "Deep Water" be code for Bourbon? :P