Thread: Your Names
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #27
wackyoverkhaki
Super JKF Member

wackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 pointswackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 points
Smile

Melinda. Middle name's Mae. I used to hate my name but now I LOVE it! I used to hate those kind of names but now I like those old school feminine names. It's better than Apple, Latrina (Latin for "toilet" by the way), Moon Unit, Dakota, or Jazzzmyne with 3 z's or whatever. It seems like every female in my family's middle name is either Mae, Mary, or Marie. I like those names, but how about some variety? And for the boys it's always Geoffrey, Jerome or Curtis, I mean, c'mon...it's like a cult-no variety! Naming habits in my family die hard, but like I said, they're not too bad and could be waaaay worse lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bird View Post
It is a mad coincidence really but totally true. My grandfather didn't actually call me 'Little Bird', he called me 'Ă©anĂ:censored:n beag' which is little bird in Gaelic.
That's really neat. How many folks in your family actually speak Gaelic? Is it only a small minority in Ireland that can speak it, or are many of the people there bilingual? I also heard that there's an Irish minority that lives in the country that speak Gaelic as their first language and don't even speak English at all. Is that true? I personally think Gaelic is a beautiful language and think it should be preserved. I was always interested in taking it as a foreign language in school but they never offered it.